Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Mar 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3384038)   #26
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you consider the vette not to be american muscle?

In any case, I don't really think the viper isn't selling because it has only 640hp (lol), no ceramic brakes standard or such things. As it stands, its so far off the racket of current ferraris in terms of price and quality, that they are not truly competing for the same clientel.

its competing in the cheap car, awesome power, good performance bracket, and if its not succeeding there, it just means that people are not choosing it over stuff like the Corvette, big 'stangs and the odd Porsche or Power-Saloon.

I mean, I think its a sympathetic car and I want Viper to stay around for sure, but would I choose it over a recent TVR or corvette? Can't say I would. I suppose the car just isn't hitting the home run with me, and I think its the same with others. Everyone I talked to likes the viper in theory, but for the money you can have other stuff these days.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 10:58 (Ref:3384057)   #27
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be a blow for Vette I think as well, they would want the PR of beating another American muscle car as well as the Europeans.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3384073)   #28
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I'm positive it's not the only, or chief, motivator, but I bet the need to somehow get a car to France for BoP testing in advance of the race isn't helping either. Not cheap or convenient with TUSC commitments at LB and Laguna as well. Be interesting to see how Corvette manages that, though I am nearly certain they have at least one spare chassis.
Presumably the ACO would test the cars when they were already in France for the test day (or just after it)?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3384078)   #29
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
So you consider the vette not to be american muscle?
A fair point, and one that actually crossed my mind while writing the post.

Five or so years ago, no question, the Corvette was the epitome of American muscle. Looking at the last couple of generations it feels as though it's been softened a little, become a much more rounded car, and in its latest guise comes across a lot more like an international supercar rather than something that has an engine the size of the moon to get round arguable shortcomings in the handling department.

This isn't a criticism of Corvette or the guys at P&M - they've worked within the ruleset they've got to build something that's going to be competitive, but it's different to the singular approach of the SRT Vipers.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 11:50 (Ref:3384092)   #30
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So is it still only sold in N. America? Hard to get good sales numbers if you limit the market
Old 25 Mar 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3384250)   #31
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is a continuation of corporate short shortsightedness. You're not going to build a brand by continually starting it and stopping it.

In 2009 Corvette had it's worst sales since 1961. But they didn't stop. No doubt Vette sales dwarf Viper, but the Vette brand wasn't built in a couple years. It seems that's what Chrysler/Fiat expect.

I think the old Field of Dreams quote, "If you build it, they will come," is long gone for America. No one has the patience. It doesn't help that executive compensation is tied to quarterly results. All they care about is the next quarters numbers, instead of the overall health of the company. Instead of investing for the future and ensuring the brand and the pipeline is strong, they're making sure they get theirs.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3384261)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Be a blow for Vette I think as well, they would want the PR of beating another American muscle car as well as the Europeans.
I think you are right, but it is the vette that is killing viper sales. That's, I think, the viper's only competition as I don't think anyone cross shops a viper and a 911. As someone else pointed out, the latest gen vette is developed to the point where people might cross shop to the 911 and I don't think the Viper is there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
So is it still only sold in N. America? Hard to get good sales numbers if you limit the market
Yep only in N.America, but SRT was set up to be a "world brand" so that they could expand to Europe. The rumors have been that they are separating the brands, in particular Ram, to phase out Dodge.

One thing that I pointed out in another thread is the ACO's BOP test that is required. Given the TUSC schedule, it may be too challenging or cost prohibitive to participate.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3384289)   #33
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Bad news.

But if sales are disappointing I would say it is just an extra reason to promote the car, especially if it's a sports car.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3384290)   #34
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Autoblog.com has the story up. Confirming its just Le Mans. Funny that it makes room for... two more Ferrari's If anyone visits ferrarichat, they know the Viper is what it is because Fiat doesn't want the car fighting Ferrari. It could be a lot more for the money. The Vette has ceramic brakes, top rated semi slick michelins, about equal power/performance and costs 10's of thousands less. No wonder its sales are off. This could be different but its not. And at the head of the company you need to look at whos in charge.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3384621)   #35
hillickx
Rookie

United States
MD, USA
hillickx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I were the ACO, I wouldn't permit the 2 Ferrari's to take the place of the "withdrawn", i.e. Fiat banned Vipers, I'd instead permit 2 other non Ferrari/Fiat brands. Lack of variety can and will hurt a racing series in the long run.

What a bunch of fools the ACO are.

I will say I'm surprised that Le Mans is still "significant" after they let diesel, a technology that no high end street sports car (*cough* Audi R8 *cough*) implements, have such stronghold for over a decade.

If I were in charge, I'd also only permit technologies on prototypes, that manufacturer's have actually attempted to implement or try to implement on their street legal cars (that of course has met a minimum production level of say 25). It seems their being more favorable to hybrid? Which is good since the LaFerrari and McLaren P(whatever it's called)?? have hybrid implemented.... but then again I'm going off topic, so I'll end my rant.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3384636)   #36
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Haha, the number of random, insane conspiracy theories on here grows by another one.

Chrysler/SRT don't want to pay for Le Mans. End of. There is nothing more to the withdrawal than that. It's a shame because we love the variety, but hard luck; our entertainment isn't worth their dollars in this instance.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3384651)   #37
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Haha, the number of random, insane conspiracy theories on here grows by another one.

Chrysler/SRT don't want to pay for Le Mans. End of. There is nothing more to the withdrawal than that. It's a shame because we love the variety, but hard luck; our entertainment isn't worth their dollars in this instance.
Indeed. No real sales in Europe to market to, LM is a relatively small draw for North American sales.

No threat to the TUSC program at this time.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3384690)   #38
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow, I fear that Chrysler won't have motorsports involvement once SRT pulled out indefinitely.

I think Fiat-Chrysler should just treat Ferrari and SRT (Dodge) equally just like Audi and Porsche. Or, let Ferrari do Formula One while SRT do sportscar racing.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3384696)   #39
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Somehow, I fear that Chrysler won't have motorsports involvement once SRT pulled out indefinitely.

I think Fiat-Chrysler should just treat Ferrari and SRT (Dodge) equally just like Audi and Porsche. Or, let Ferrari do Formula One while SRT do sportscar racing.
Or better still close down ferrari and use the money to develope the SRT into a proper car Only kidding by the way
Old 26 Mar 2014, 17:25 (Ref:3384718)   #40
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be foolish in the extreme for Ferrari to stop racing the 458 (or whatever the next introductory-level street model will be.) It sustains Ferrari's history as a GT competitor, it gives the marque great visibility, it directly relates to the street car, and it is successful.

Much smarter to let Viper sink or swim than to hinder Ferrari to (hopefully) aid SRT.

It's not like people looking at the 458 are also considering the Viper.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3384730)   #41
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there's even a smell of conspiracy from ACO or FIAT at all. Adding another two 458 won't really help winning the LM24 unless they are title contenders who are usually not on the reserve list, are they? ACO surely wants car variety here, but the choice of GT2 is extremely limited now, no match against GT3 I'd say. Vette, Aston, 458, 911, viper(Not available now), that's all.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3384829)   #42
tonypowe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
tonypowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just think its a shame to lose the noise and spectacle of the Viper. I was really looking forward to seeing it last year and was not disappointed - though did hope for a slightly better showing. This year was thinking they might put up a better fight but now we will never know.
Don't imagine there is any great conspiracy here just business and a lack of funds. I may be wrong but I suspect a Viper running reasonably well in a series in the States will more likely boost sales in the US than a one-off run in Europe (even if it is the biggest sportscar race in the world) with a low chance of success and will save a bag of cash to boot.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3384830)   #43
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypowe View Post
I just think its a shame to lose the noise and spectacle of the Viper.
This doesn't help you at all and is kind of off topic but, oddly enough, the turbocharged Ford sounds very similar to the viper V10. It's really bizarre.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3384873)   #44
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would really be a shame if their racing efforts are curtailed beyond missing Le Mans. I was excited when it was announced they were returning to racing, they have been a welcome addition to GTE/GTLM.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 04:06 (Ref:3384892)   #45
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post

They were there last year. With a brand new car. Now a full season under their belt they withdraw from LeMans being better prepared? Not saying Ferrari dont want them there, but its just silly to think its a budget issue. If it is a budget issue, the reason is tusc's huge schedule imo.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3385235)   #46
TF110
Veteran

United States
Chrysler dropped Le Mans to focus on USC autosport reports.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3385239)   #47
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting to see a GT3 spec car on the P'W'C St Petersburg entry list, was this reported before? I missed it if so, thought it was the Keating car that was entered.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3385255)   #48
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Chrysler dropped Le Mans to focus on USC autosport reports.
That is complete BS from SRT. Likely trying to save face in light of cutting back but the excuse given only further damages the reputation of U.S entries to the big race.

It doesn't exactly do Le Mans much good either.

If that is genuinely why they've pulled out I've just lost a massive amount of respect for that programme.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3385257)   #49
TF110
Veteran

United States
Why? Teams drop out because costs every year. Even manufacturers. Hopefully they return next year with a better car and financial position.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3385261)   #50
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think there is going to be a next year.