Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Mar 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3808851)   #751
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750 at Donington and Curborough sprint also cancelled.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3808932)   #752
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
There's a lovely little Fordson sitting in a field almost opposite my house right now. The corrugated shed it was sheltering in was completely destroyed in one of the many winter storms but the tractor's still there.
I was down in the Dordogne last September with some old mates including the guy that collects tractors. We past several old farms and buildings whist driving about and had to slow down to take a look at what was "lurking" in the yards and old buildings with no roofs !
We saw plenty of "old junk" and what tractors we saw were "not the collectable types" according to the man as they are "two a penny" (not my words)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Mar 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3809042)   #753
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I bet there is still an old car lurking in a barn somewhere .
Old 19 Mar 2018, 07:42 (Ref:3809043)   #754
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
My classic insurance provider sends out newsletters from US and UK departments, and the stories of barn finds are still there every time. I guess that it will continue for quite a while, as there are a still a lot of people oblivious to the value of what they have hidden away! Plus of course, a lot of the time the original owner has passed on and surviving family members are unaware.....
Old 19 Mar 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3809050)   #755
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of my nearish neighbours about 30 or so years ago passed away. Her husband had gone off to fight in WW ll right after their marriage, and they had no children. She never re-married and remained in the original marital home until her death.

When the executor of her estate opened up the garage of the house, he was astounded to find an almost pristine pre-war car in situ. Apparently, the wife had never learnt to drive, so the car had remained untouched since the day the husband went off to fight the war.

However, the only thing that wasn't part of the original car was a tree that had sprung up breaking the concrete floor of the garage, piercing through the floor in the rear foot well, and exiting through the roof. Whoever removed the car obviously had to fell the tree first!
Old 19 Mar 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3809073)   #756
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I bet there is still an old car lurking in a barn somewhere .

I bet there is still an old car waiting to be pushed in a barn somewhere to be found in a couple of years time.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3809074)   #757
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I bet there is still an old car waiting to be pushed in a barn somewhere to be found in a couple of years time.
Cynic!
Old 19 Mar 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3809093)   #758
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We dont see him on here much these days but I believe its John Smith's birthday. Hope you are well John. I miss your Clerk of the Course comments. Miss also not being hauled up in front of you as well. Happy days and happy drivers briefing as well.Hope you are having a great day. happy Birthday.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3809148)   #759
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hear hear.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 17:19 (Ref:3809153)   #760
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
being a trendy young thing he's more often seen on facebook these days....

Old 19 Mar 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3809160)   #761
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I've already got a few tucked away to "expand" my pension
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Mar 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3809198)   #762
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anglias?
Old 19 Mar 2018, 22:29 (Ref:3809207)   #763
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Anglias?
I have still got one and a few odds n sods, However hindsight is a wonderful thing, why didn't we keep some of our old cars ?
I remember buying a Lotus Cortina off of a customer in the 70s for the great sum of £100 ! It wanted a front wing and passenger door but was low mileage and drove well and apart from the damage it was in very good condition.
I was going to do it up but George Polley phoned me up and asked me if I wanted to sell the engine and offered me £200 for it.
I then flogged the gearbox and the rest of the car laid about for a few months. I wanted the space and scrapped the rest !!!!!

Ok guys admit to the world what you should have kept, I know that most of us didn't think about what stupid values the daily cars of yesterday year would fetch back then !
Old 19 Mar 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3809220)   #764
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Lotus 7 S2, was killing it using it every day for commuting so swapped it for a Citroen Dyane 6!
Old 19 Mar 2018, 23:42 (Ref:3809222)   #765
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Things we should have kept - at least, cars my father ran and would be interesting today:

XK150 - he restored it with fibre glass enough for an MoT, but it had to go when the clutch went and he couldn't afford to have it fixed

Riley 1.5 and Austin A40 would make Goodwood cars today

Mercedes 190 - LHD with full length Webasto sunroof. Not the 80s/90s revival. Can't remember what happened to that, maybe it was a case of Rust In Peace. I loved the gun sight in the middle of the bonnet

One of my later favourites was a Fiat 124 Sport. My mother ripped the front suspension out in a pot hole, I was very disappointed

Cars we missed because we couldn't afford them, even though they were dirt cheap:

Peerless - no idea what model, I was quite young so didn't take much notice
Alfa Giulietta

Happy days!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 20 Mar 2018, 03:31 (Ref:3809254)   #766
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post

Ok guys admit to the world what you should have kept, I know that most of us didn't think about what stupid values the daily cars of yesterday year would fetch back then !
Not strictly one I owned, but one I coulda shoulda.
Back in c1976 I was offered a 246 Dino in yellow for £2000, the amount the owner had been offered on a trade in. It was a little bit beyond my budget but I could have begged / stolen / borrowed the difference with little problem. However I knocked it back, mainly because it needed a new set of tyres to be legal and had some minor parking damage from being used in London a bit.
I told a friend about it and he jumped on it. He had a company car, had just inherited some money, so it was a sunny weekend toy for him. He used his motor trade contacts to beautify it a bit, and kept it under wraps in his garage. About ten years later he still had it and I asked him why he didn't flog it. He told me because it was increasing in value and was going to sell it when it was worth enough to pay off his (fairly large) mortgage. I scoffed at his plan..... A few years later, he sold it, comfortably paying off his mortgage with change.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 05:41 (Ref:3809269)   #767
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I had a TR4 in my late teens . Reg XVG460. Paid £200.00. Guess that was around 1970. We started building the GT6 Modsporfs Car so she was sold and I bought an ex GPO van as run around . Although not worth a fortune now I sure would love to have it back . Happy days . BTW Happy Birthday to me . Officially an OAP. 😀
Old 20 Mar 2018, 06:27 (Ref:3809278)   #768
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still annoyed that I succumbed to pressure from Mrs97 to sell either the 944 Turbo or the Quattro. Fortunately I kept the quattro but if I had kept the 944T as well that would have more than doubled in value now.

Great car.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3809288)   #769
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I had a TR4 in my late teens . Reg XVG460. Paid £200.00. Guess that was around 1970. We started building the GT6 Modsporfs Car so she was sold and I bought an ex GPO van as run around . Although not worth a fortune now I sure would love to have it back . Happy days . BTW Happy Birthday to me . Officially an OAP. ��
The ex GPO van would probably be worth money too - was it a Morris Minor with rubber wings?

...and I'll beat Mike to it & point out that your TR4 was evidently first registered in Norfolk which would give it added value!

I was once offered a Mk2 Jaguar in BRG for not a lot of money, but more than I could afford at the time. I also regret not buying a Lancia Fulvia Coupe, but did end up with my first Alfasud instead.

The favourite I wish I still owned? A Fiat 124S. However, whenever I get back problems I wish I still had my Lancia Beta - quite the most comfortable seats in any car I've ever owned.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 07:44 (Ref:3809292)   #770
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Happy Birthday to the latest member of the old fogey club!

My first shiny new car at the age of 21 in 1973 was a Copper Brown Mexico, with no stripes. It was the later model with battery up front and inline servo, and a proper Q car. But I got the rallying bug again and sold it to a mate in order to buy a second hand earlier Mex, which was more suited for the task. The first car was KAH637L, second PPU222K. The first would be worth a lot even by Mexico standards now as there were only a few made that colour. Turned out the second one was an ex Ford press car, so again, would likely be worth a premium now! Another car which would have made me a lot of money was the 964RS I ordered from Porsche in ‘91 in a one off yellow. (I didn’t like the standard shade!) It lost about 50% in 3 years when px-d for something that wouldn’t shake my fillings out every time I drove it. The value now would beat least 200% of purchase price! Then of course there’s the E30 M3 EVO2, 8 valve Integrale, several 205GTIs.......... But what a waste to hide any of the above away for possible future posterity!
Old 20 Mar 2018, 07:55 (Ref:3809295)   #771
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Happy Birthday to the latest member of the old fogey club!

My first shiny new car at the age of 21 in 1973 was a Copper Brown Mexico, with no stripes. It was the later model with battery up front and inline servo, and a proper Q car. But I got the rallying bug again and sold it to a mate in order to buy a second hand earlier Mex, which was more suited for the task. The first car was KAH637L, second PPU222K. The first would be worth a lot even by Mexico standards now as there were only a few made that colour. Turned out the second one was an ex Ford press car, so again, would likely be worth a premium now! Another car which would have made me a lot of money was the 964RS I ordered from Porsche in ‘91 in a one off yellow. (I didn’t like the standard shade!) It lost about 50% in 3 years when px-d for something that wouldn’t shake my fillings out every time I drove it. The value now would beat least 200% of purchase price! Then of course there’s the E30 M3 EVO2, 8 valve Integrale, several 205GTIs.......... But what a waste to hide any of the above away for possible future posterity!
I wonder if the gentleman from Dereham (I think) who loaned his shiny new Escort Mexico to Colin Chapman for the day to thrash round the Hethel test track as 'familiarisation' ahead of a celebrity race at Brands Hatch perceived it as adding value to his car? He did however receive a set of new tyres & Brand Lotus alloy wheels for his trouble.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3809301)   #772
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy birthday Iain!
Old 20 Mar 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3809304)   #773
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I wonder if the gentleman from Dereham (I think) who loaned his shiny new Escort Mexico to Colin Chapman for the day to thrash round the Hethel test track as 'familiarisation' ahead of a celebrity race at Brands Hatch perceived it as adding value to his car? He did however receive a set of new tyres & Brand Lotus alloy wheels for his trouble.
They were pretty much bullet proof so I'm sure the car wouldn't have suffered too much. There would be a plus and minus to boasting that particular fact when selling, though! Just realised I got my age wrong- must have been 23. Senility again......
Old 20 Mar 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3809306)   #774
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy birthday Iain!
from The Smiths

Last edited by Malcolm Smith; 20 Mar 2018 at 08:44. Reason: Type error
Old 20 Mar 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3809318)   #775
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Happy Birthday Iain, from more Smiths :-)