Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Sep 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2759794)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eastern Creek + V8SA?

Various websites and magazines have reported on Eastern Creek and V8SA combining to hold a launch for the 2011 series along with hosting a combined test session next January.

This is quite an amazing change of events from heated exchanges of 2008 and V8SA's vow to 'never return to Eastern Creek'.

It appears the change in leadership in both camps (Matthews at ARDC and Whitaker at V8SA) are key factors in the new approach by both companies and credit must go to both parties for getting it to this point.

I do wonder though given the strong words over the past few years if this could be a backup plan from V8SA if Homesbush goes south with the inevitable change of government in NSW.

It is also very interesting to compare the varying outlooks & approaches from Cochrane and Whitaker regarding the return to Eastern Creek as shown below.

Tony Cochrane (extracts taken from Auto Action article by Mark Fogarty)
Quote:
Eastern Creek came to us and apologised for some of the behaviour of the previous board members and general managers
Quote:
I reacted to their harsh words
Quote:
The people that I was personally most disappointed in have either moved on and moved into much more minor positions
Martin Whitaker
http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2010/09/...-round-return/
Quote:
I think the test is a great initiative. When I came into the job, a lot of people said to me that they’d love us to be back at Eastern Creek. Homebush has been a massive success, but at the same time, Eastern Creek is a great venue and I’m glad we’re going back there
Will be interesting to see the ARDC's response to Cochrane's outlook also along with fellow ten - tenths members - do you feel V8SA over the past few years only reacted to ARDC baiting?

For example was the famous Chico Harlan article (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23770,00.html) just V8SA reacting to the ARDC's harsh words?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2760063)   #2
glenn_a
Racer

Australia
not far from the paddocks of Oran Park
glenn_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see them both move on, It may only be a test day but hopefully it could become a round again. I'm not really a fan of EC but to have a round back a circuit can only be a good thing motorsport in general.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 22:40 (Ref:2760109)   #3
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Replay of the WA strategy looking to enshrine access to the public purse.

Winners all round in WA with upgrades to the circuit, government money for promotion, a five year deal & TCs money coming directly from the public purse.

Maybe the ARDC should contact the WASCC for a roadmap.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2760124)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What seems evident is that Mr Whitaker is at the forefront of going into hostile situations and extracting value from them for all sides. Case in point was WA, and now the ARDC.

That the test day is at Eastern Creek is interesting in relationship dynamics, but you also have to consider that Queensland Raceway is unavailable at the time required due to the resurfacing, and Queensland based teams would be disadvantaged by going to Winton...

Here's hoping its a "Gold Coin Donation Day" for a charity of their choosing...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2760130)   #5
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More to the point, will this now reduce D.R.T.'s incessant whinging about all things V8SC's??
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:46 (Ref:2760135)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
More to the point, will this now reduce D.R.T.'s incessant whinging about all things V8SC's??
We can only hope Axeman.

If V8SA keep acting in a way to promote & assist Australian motorsport then there will be no need for me to 'whinge', however if they act like 3 year olds (which has been party policy for the majority of the past 14 years) than you can expect a good 'whinge'.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2760199)   #7
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or is this V8SA taking a good hard look at a future where it must go if the taxpayer tit goes dry?
There are increasing signs of desperation around the Gold Coast event and as DRT mentions an almost inevitable change of Governments in NSW and Qld could see street circuit builds become much less fashionable other than Clipsall, the best of them.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2760266)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
just because street circuits were mentioned $49 million for Melbourne GP, something is wrong there
Old 17 Sep 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2760864)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8 Supercars will provide an open paddock with free entry, big screen viewing, autograph sessions and other entertainment across the day
Old 18 Sep 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2761081)   #10
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fat lot of good that does me.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 00:14 (Ref:2761384)   #11
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Fat lot of good that does me.
Maybe you should read your Sig again bortall ?
Old 19 Sep 2010, 06:59 (Ref:2761433)   #12
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great initiative I think, so long as it is promoted continuously and actually has some benefit for the punters, a day with the drivers but no races, should be plenty more opportunities for fan interaction.

Perhaps some hot laps/charity auction rides would also be a good idea.