Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 29 Jul 2002, 08:28 (Ref:345081)   #1
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Silverstone Classic 17/18 Aug

Next one up - two days at Silverstone, all the usual suspects plus a few visiting formulae.
Who's there then ?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 09:57 (Ref:345126)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yessir - reporting for duty - rgds Jos
Old 29 Jul 2002, 10:48 (Ref:345170)   #3
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fully intend to be there.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 10:54 (Ref:345180)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly not for me.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:23 (Ref:345198)   #5
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not 100% sure either - got a bit of a bent car after a disagreement with a tyre wall at the bottom of the Revett straight yesterday..........
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:39 (Ref:345211)   #6
denlyon1
Rookie

denlyon1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope to be there...
posted entries for Silverstone and Pembrey last week.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:33 (Ref:345298)   #7
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Silverstone Classic 17/18 Aug

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Harman
Next one up - two days at Silverstone, all the usual suspects plus a few visiting formulae.
Who's there then ?
Definately, should be able to stretch it's legs again.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 14:06 (Ref:345382)   #8
spnixon
Racer

spnixon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the timetable for Silverstone?

I hope to be there but Scholar still have my engine and last time I spoke to them it needed;

New crank
New con rod
New piston #1
New main bearings
New rings

plus putting back together again. Racing again at all this season is starting to look optimistic. Pity, because I hear Class D in Group One is getting quite interesting?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 14:23 (Ref:345395)   #9
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spnixon
Does anyone know the timetable for Silverstone?
No idea yet, nothing on that list is hard to get hold of is it ? And the thing could be assembled in a day at the most.

By the way, given the reliability of what is a straightforward engine, why have you gone back to Scholar ?

Stacy
Old 29 Jul 2002, 14:55 (Ref:345418)   #10
spnixon
Racer

Unfortunately the pistons they use require rings that they order in from Germany - delivery time is an expected 5-7 days.

I went back to Scholar because I've spent a fortune with them and I was hoping they would charge me a sympathetic price for fixing an engine they prepared that hasn't managed a race lap.

Its probably all my fault though - the overheating at Thruxton almost certainly buggered the piston, which then wore out the bearing.

Its a good lesson - keep an eye on the gauges at all times....
Old 29 Jul 2002, 21:53 (Ref:345767)   #11
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Unfortunately the pistons they use require rings that they order in from Germany - delivery time is an expected 5-7 days.
Plenty of time then.

I'm amazed the lengths someone will go to avoid racing Will.. ;-)

As for getting some money off them, it's hardly an advert I'd say. Good luck.

Stacy.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 08:57 (Ref:346082)   #12
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Sadly not for me.
Are you still in the Backend of Nowherestan then Pete ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowcoach
Not 100% sure either - got a bit of a bent car after a disagreement with a tyre wall at the bottom of the Revett straight yesterday..........
Ouch who were you playing with then to do that ? - hope you can make it, Silverstone should suit the CT's
Old 30 Jul 2002, 10:26 (Ref:346157)   #13
Slowcoach
Racer

Got a last minute invite to the Heritage Grand Touring challenge on the Toca bill at Snett. - fantastic weekend, until the last lap of the last race........pretty superficial - the car should be ok to run but won't be looking it's best - might be giving Den a run for his money for the best turned out car !
Old 30 Jul 2002, 11:42 (Ref:346210)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't afford the repairs from my impact with the barrier at Snett and I refuse to turn out in a damaged car.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 30 Jul 2002 at 11:43.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 12:34 (Ref:346251)   #15
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
the car should be ok to run but won't be looking it's best - might be giving Den a run for his money for the best turned out car !
Did you go off on your own, or were you helped ?

As for Silverstone if I were you I'd give the Comp Sec a call and explain all. After Snett I believe there'll be a very hard line being taken over prep, and it would be a shame to have any nasty surprises on the day.

Stacy
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:31 (Ref:346308)   #16
Slowcoach
Racer

Good idea Stacy. My co-driver didnt need any help he went off all by himself....you have my sympathy PM and I know what you mean I shall only run if it looks reasonable we may well just be bumperless, if the dents knock out well and she doesnt look shabby we'll run.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 15:17 (Ref:347212)   #17
spnixon
Racer

Just heard from Claire at BARC - Silverstone (for Group One and Pre-90 at least, I assume for all) is qualifying Saturday, racing Sunday.

Scholar say they MAY finish my engine next week - so Will might get a race after all. :-)
Old 31 Jul 2002, 16:04 (Ref:347237)   #18
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
so Will might get a race after all. :-)
Plenty of time to bottle it yet!

Stacy
Old 31 Jul 2002, 16:49 (Ref:347259)   #19
Steve Higgs
Rookie

Steve Higgs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't be there, be back from the USA next week, then straight to France.......
Old 31 Jul 2002, 21:40 (Ref:347421)   #20
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Good idea Stacy. My co-driver didnt need any help he went off all by himself.....
Who was the 2nd driver ?

Stacy
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:10 (Ref:347775)   #21
Slowcoach
Racer

Well funnily enough my co-driver is the chap who looks after the car! He's ordering the paint today and reckons he can get it all ship shape over the weekend, he's also finishing another car off next week which we hope to enter aswell, a Sunbeam Lotus - we're trying to do our bit for grid sizes!
Bet you are raring for another crack at Mr. Stephens after Lydden!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:50 (Ref:347879)   #22
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
I wanted to have a go at him after Croft, where he was testing on his Dunlops and was slower than me.. Unfortunately the Yoko's went back on for the race to get the last of the waiver for class A cars, and although I was fastest overall getting held up at the start cost me too much time.

At Brands I had a go in Pre-90's where I could don my Yoko's too, but at Snett of course the class A power was just too much.

I expected more from Lydden, but in Pre-90's again with Yoko's on I had track speed in hand - and quite a lot of it - so yes, I rather fancied a win at last! Still, we think it was nothing more than a fuel filter blockage, but once it started fluffing at speed and it slowed me enough, I pulled in - I've already done "second" and it wasn't a championship push like Group1.

I doubt Silverstone will be the circuit either, too many blasts up the road where the V12's can pull away. Could do with another journey to Croft or Thruxton with some fast demanding corners which suit me and the car a bit more..

I have a lot of time for Brian, but it's no secret my ambition is to beat him, and the tight git in me wants to do it in the RX, instead of buying a class A motor..

I think Pembrey will be my last shot really.

Stacy
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:49 (Ref:348752)   #23
Slowcoach
Racer

Yes I remember the Croft race well.
Being a novice on the racing scene, but learning all the time, it never ceases to amaze me how some things can make such big differences, tyres being a good example, not to mention we changed the diff and that seems to have messed things up aswell, the combination has left me well off my pace of last year. Still I guess one has to be patient and developing cars can take years and lots of blind alleys. I'm sure your day will come and u never know it might be sooner than you think !! Isn't it funny how we all cheer the underdog though, like you say- lot's of time for Brian but would like to see someone else win from time to time!! It's good to see the glory spread around a little.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 15:21 (Ref:348769)   #24
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Being a novice on the racing scene, but learning all the time, it never ceases to amaze me how some things can make such big differences, tyres being a good example,
Brian was racing when I was in primary school, so with this being my 3rd proper season I'd say I'm in the same boat as you..

As you say though you learn all the time, and I'm always reading, writing, week in and week out. I thought I was odd (well I am!), but then Nigel Garrett said on Sunday that no-one at the front treats it as a weekend sport, and I think he's dead right. There's new things on those cars all the time and it's reflected in the times.

That's why I can't see me doing a full season next year. I've just kicked off a startup, and time is precious so I can't spend all week on it as well. We all do it for different reasons, but if I'm going to commit to do something competitive, I need to throw everything I have at it and do it to the best of my ability. If I can't do that and I don't achieve what I think I should be achieving, it will only wind me up.

Anyway, while I would deferentially say that I still don't know what I don't know when it comes to car set-up, I do firmly believe that tyres and keeping them on the ground working gives you the biggest lap time improvements. That philosophy is shown by the fact that simple power to weight figures on my car aren't anywhere near as flattering as some have suggested..

Mind you I've also found out that the biggest trick of all is having the thing bolted together properly at the start..

Cheers

Stacy
Old 5 Aug 2002, 12:09 (Ref:350371)   #25
Slowcoach
Racer

Experience does count for so much - I heard that our CT champion last year has been racing his make of car since the mid 60's and his current car for 19 years! Think also how well he must know all the circuits.

My trouble is that I went from just aiming to not qualify and finish last in my first race to suddenly thinking I could be regular top six (I was 4th in that first race-combination of breakdowns and accidents)and suddenly you have the bug bigtime, I got aspirations above my station! Then, as you point out, it dawns on you that the majority of the front runners are not only very good drivers, been at it for many years(even decades), but are totally serious/dedicated and often(but not always) fortunate to have alot of 'resources'(time + money) - that brings me back to reality - racing for fun and useless when it comes to doing things under the bonnet.

This has prompted an idea - could the CTCRC run a handicap race across all series for drivers who have NEVER won a race - that would be good for an end of season meeting and give the opportunity to someone who might never otherwise get to wear the victors laurels.....sorry I digressed.

My tips would have to be (both given to me by a good friend in the build up to my first race) 1- Rather than spend a fortune on something mechanical to gain a tenth of a second per lap - take a test day or some instruction at that circuit, could be worth whole seconds.....and 2- Always try and avoid the first corner chaos which so often rears it's ugly head!
ps and your 'The Flyer's' editor - where do you find the time?!