Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Nov 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2983307)   #51
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
They are Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon V8 Supercars. Their respective brand owners are happy to call them that.

I am under no illusion that these V8 Supercars have anything in common with their road going cousins.

My adult brain can seperate a V8 Supercar from a road car and associate the name of Commodore and Falcon with both - just as there is a road going Camry and a Camry stockcar.
exactly! what do we call sports sedans? you couldn't tell me Mr Hossack's car is actually anything that resembles an Audi A4

move along, nothing to see here
Old 25 Nov 2011, 04:46 (Ref:2991107)   #52
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
After all the flak Ford fans have had to put up from Holden fans talking about Ford not being committed to Australia, etc, etc, this is a RED letter day for Ford fans!.
No, Holden and Ford fans should stand shoulder to shoulder against the real enemy, Toyota!!

This is just scaremongering by pathetic press on a slow news day. They badmouthed Leyland, they bagged chrysler till they gave up then hounded mitsubishi until they dropped the magna/380. they'll do the same to holden and ford until they both import 100%.... and then they'll cry about lack of australian manufacturing
Old 25 Nov 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2991387)   #53
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=aussiemuscle308;2991107]No, Holden and Ford fans should stand shoulder to shoulder against the real enemy, Toyota!!

This is just scaremongering by pathetic press on a slow news day. They badmouthed Leyland, they bagged Chrysler till they gave up - That Leyland built absolute crap cars that couldn't stand the test of time has a lot to do with their demise , British Leyland were still relying on the "patriotic Aussies" to buy their vehicles but by the mid seventies the "patriotic Aussie" was a lot smarter than the buffoons who ran British Leyland .
Chrysler was little better than Leyland , listening to what the consumer wants is a pretty smart way of doing business and Chrysler failed to do this .
More and more manufacturers products are now finding their way into Australia , the consumer has never had it so good ! and all of a sudden the Commodore and Falcon become just bit players as shown by the sales of both - Australia is now home to millions of people of Asian background and you hardly see any of them driving Falcons or Commodores , the ones with big families are in Tarago's or Carnivals and the Teens are in Kia's or Hyundai's and now we have all these cheap Chinese brands coming onto the market - this allows the "first car" buyer the choice of buying something new with a 5 year warranty as opposed to buying a 10 year old Commodore or Falcon .
For todays youth the Ford/Holden rivalry doesn't exist and the Falcon and Commodore aren't even on their car buying list .
I'm old enough to remember when more than 50% of the cars on the road were Holden's .
Old 25 Nov 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2991420)   #54
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
[Australia is now home to millions of people of Asian background and you hardly see any of them driving Falcons or Commodores
Taxis??
Old 26 Nov 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2991433)   #55
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Taxis??
I'm in SE Qld and here the Cabbies all seem to be of Indian / Arabian descent and they mostly drive the Toyota Prius or Toyota Tarago and the ugly Ssangyoong wagon .
The new LPI Falcon may be good for the cabbies but I think they are a bit too late on the market as the "people mover" has really made a big impact in the Taxi industry - had a friend who recently needed to up-grade from his BA Falcon wagon and was going to get a Commodore wagon and had been around the dealers to get the best deal on offer - he called into my place on the way home from the dealer in a new Hyundai Iload people mover ,When I asked why? he just said it's so much more practical than a wagon and the Hyundai people were so good to deal with .
Old 26 Nov 2011, 06:24 (Ref:2991484)   #56
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a limit to how many times the words Kia and Hyundai are mentioned in a V8Supercar thread before it is closed down?? We must be approaching that number.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 06:36 (Ref:2991488)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
Is there a limit to how many times the words Kia and Hyundai are mentioned in a V8Supercar thread before it is closed down?? We must be approaching that number.
you will be closing down the whole Australian touring cars area in 12 months if that was the case
Old 26 Nov 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2991495)   #58
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
he called into my place on the way home from the dealer in a new Hyundai Iload people mover ,When I asked why? he just said it's so much more practical than a wagon and the Hyundai people were so good to deal with .

Having driven an iLoad on several occasions and over long distances I wish him luck.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2991510)   #59
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Having driven an iLoad on several occasions and over long distances I wish him luck.
It's not the commercial van as such but a dedicated people mover with lots of seating and good cargo carying ability , the longest distance that he ever goes in one hop is under 100km , anyway he's happy with it and he's the only one who needs to be pleased with his purchase , I have been for a drive in it and it seems as good as the Tarago to me .
Old 26 Nov 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2991513)   #60
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
Better to get used to it as they are moving up in the in the car world and starting to get a very enviable reputation , the Hyundai Grandeur has been voted the least problematic vehicle sold in the USA , here on the Gold Coast I see the Hyundai I45 in places where I used to see Mercs and BMWs , Hyundai is killing the other manufacturers on service and warranty
For people with no allegiance to any manufacturer a Hyundai is hard to go past .
Old 27 Nov 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2991842)   #61
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
It's actually an iMax isn't it??

Maybe it's just the poverty packs the rentals companies use but they seem to be replacing them with Kia Carnivals which are a much better vehicle in my experience but still not as good as a Tarago (both are cheaper than a Tarago but you get what you pay for).
Old 27 Nov 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2991847)   #62
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
It's actually an iMax isn't it??

Maybe it's just the poverty packs the rentals companies use but they seem to be replacing them with Kia Carnivals which are a much better vehicle in my experience but still not as good as a Tarago (both are cheaper than a Tarago but you get what you pay for).
I stand corrected it is an Imax - I have driven quite a few of the "people mover" type vehicles and nothing comes close to the VW multivan with 4 motion , expensive but a hell of a machine .
Old 28 Nov 2011, 06:30 (Ref:2992295)   #63
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Over the last 12 months our work has finished replacing all the Camry, Corolla and last remaining Falcon and Commodore fleet vehicles with Hyundai i30 and i45s. From my experience even the base models are quality built and serviced products. Unless Toyota reduce their price or dramatically increase the standard equipment I can see their sales numbers steadily declining as customers move to Hyundai or their sister company Kia.