Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Dec 2015, 03:45 (Ref:3597432)   #51
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not the governments job to directly subsidise every tourism operator just because they cause some economic activity.
The NSW government pays V8SA to hold the Bathurst 1000 in NSW?Where would they move it to without this handout?Would it no longer be viable?
The economic activity caused by the redevelopment of the Sandown site will dwarf decades of V8SA input into the Victorian economy.
Government investment into Winton is a good idea and appropriate use of government money.
V8SA is hoping regional races will receive funding under less stringent criteria than Homebush where the government is prepared to make a bigger contribution for less return.Anyone pointing to Townsville as a great example should look at film from 2009-2010 and compare it to this year.75% of grandstands are gone and crowd is 50% at best.
Just maybe the whole professional structure of V8SA is not viable.After all James Warburton said it was 1 pay TV deal from collapsing.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 04:52 (Ref:3597443)   #52
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I highly doubt that they wouldn't run any rounds in Victoria if they didn't get the money.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 07:49 (Ref:3597454)   #53
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems bit of whinge from Warbuton,

F1 sure it cost , but international guests, hotels full, resturants do roaring trade , 4 days , ppl stay for more than two days,

V8Supercars, basically two days , and ...............?, they hire PI from linfox, so why should tax payers pay for that, (same at Ipswich) Sandown agree for public trans port, put some stands infield , should get some more punters there.

what happened to the $$ at Winton, if they do give money to regional areas, fine just make sure its used correctly , not disapear into some consultant company .

Perhaps they found the note Tony left in the bottom draw, " use someone elses money"
Old 13 Dec 2015, 08:13 (Ref:3597456)   #54
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_08 View Post
I highly doubt that they wouldn't run any rounds in Victoria if they didn't get the money.
I might be reading it wrong, but to me it sounds as though Warburton wants the $1m+ to ensure that one of the Vic rounds isn't the one that gets the chop when KL comes online?
Old 13 Dec 2015, 08:24 (Ref:3597458)   #55
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I might be reading it wrong, but to me it sounds as though Warburton wants the $1m+ to ensure that one of the Vic rounds isn't the one that gets the chop when KL comes online?
Would be interesting to hear from all of the Malaysian V8 Supercar fans.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3597459)   #56
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
they hire PI from linfox, so why should tax payers pay for that, (same at Ipswich)...
Bloody good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
...Sandown agree for public trans port, put some stands infield , should get some more punters there.

what happened to the $$ at Winton, if they do give money to regional areas, fine just make sure its used correctly , not disapear into some consultant company .

Perhaps they found the note Tony left in the bottom draw, " use someone elses money"
I'd say the $$$ they are after is more to do with the sanctioning fee to have the honour of V8Supercars racing in your state, i'm not sure the money would necessarily go towards facilities at the event.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3597562)   #57
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My extended family comes to my house from overseas every couple of years. I might put my hand out for some subsidy from the Government for driving tourism and the increased spend at the local attractions, Restaurants, Woolies and Bottle Shop.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 23:01 (Ref:3597564)   #58
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Government is throwing billions on top of billions into the coffers of coal mining companies who shift the profits overseas and don't ever pay tax here, giving grants for useless and crap art, funding stupid sports like Golf, Soccer and UFC that I couldn't give 2 hoots about. Should we really be so fussed about some Government funding for the sport we follow?
Old 13 Dec 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3597567)   #59
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a joke!!!

Seriously pull your hands, and heads, out your a$re's VESA, and get your act together!!! You rent all those tracks in Victoria, so not a taxpayers problem if you can't raise the rest of the capital to run the series.

BTW, as nice as a Geelong street race might sound, I not exactly going to be rushing down there....
Why don't you run it at Avalon Airport and make it a bit of spectacle like they've done for years in Indy car....
Old 14 Dec 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3597584)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The Government is throwing billions on top of billions into the coffers of coal mining companies who shift the profits overseas and don't ever pay tax here, giving grants for useless and crap art, funding stupid sports like Golf, Soccer and UFC that I couldn't give 2 hoots about. Should we really be so fussed about some Government funding for the sport we follow?
If the benefit to the country is bigger than the amount to be paid, there should be no argument...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Dec 2015, 01:08 (Ref:3597589)   #61
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If the benefit to the country is bigger than the amount to be paid, there should be no argument...
I'm skeptical that is the case for the examples I have given.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:02 (Ref:3597599)   #62
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So African governments should promote wild game hunting?
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:08 (Ref:3597601)   #63
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
One would suggest that they already do?
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:11 (Ref:3597602)   #64
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
They do in Australia, so why not Africa?
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:16 (Ref:3597603)   #65
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is the calculation of economic benefit that has traps for young players or economic illiterates.If you are the NSW government backing the race there is no or very negligible economic benefit to the state from money spent on it from NSW residents.That is because 95% of it would have been spent in the state on alternate recreational activity (eg restaurants,retail,even other sports events).Those people providing those activities have actually lost by people spending their money on a V8 race.
The only net increase to state activity comes from money coming into the state that would not otherwise have come.This is interstate and OS tourists of which there are small numbers for nearly all V8 events(Bathurst and maybe Adelaide excepted)
Just saying that any business turnover associated with the race is a positive economic return for the state is a nonsense.I don't object to V8SA running wherever they want but governments have to look very carefully at the benefit and not prop up the model with business welfare handouts.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:19 (Ref:3597605)   #66
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
It is the calculation of economic benefit that has traps for young players or economic illiterates.If you are the NSW government backing the race there is no or very negligible economic benefit to the state from money spent on it from NSW residents.That is because 95% of it would have been spent in the state on alternate recreational activity (eg restaurants,retail,even other sports events).Those people providing those activities have actually lost by people spending their money on a V8 race
You cannot possibly state that as a fact - this is completely and utterly made up, and therefore totally worthless.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:49 (Ref:3597608)   #67
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The only net increase to state activity comes from money coming into the state that would not otherwise have come.This is interstate and OS tourists
This is 100% correct when assessing and determining Economic Impact Assessments.

Mixer you might argue the make up (place of residence) of v8 race fans at street race however the application of EIA cant be argued with
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:51 (Ref:3597609)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

I argue when people pull numbers fair out of their arse to support an argument.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 03:09 (Ref:3597610)   #69
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No probs. Just wanted to sure we were all on the same page about who contributes to economic impact and who doesn't. Plenty of people assume incorrectly that all crowd attendance contributes to this.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 03:23 (Ref:3597611)   #70
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
They do in Australia, so why not Africa?
Because although it might make good business sense it is morally wrong.

Justifying government investment on simply a financial return is abhorrent.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 03:27 (Ref:3597612)   #71
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Because although it might make good business sense it is morally wrong.
Morals are a subjective issue and not really relevant to this discussion.

Your morals and someone else's will differ.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 06:15 (Ref:3597623)   #72
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Look at last ABS Census data on discretionary spending and see how little of it is transferable between states.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 06:18 (Ref:3597624)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Look at last ABS Census data on discretionary spending and see how little of it is transferable between states.
Thus the reason to have events to encourage people to visit
Old 14 Dec 2015, 08:46 (Ref:3597638)   #74
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Thus the reason to have events to encourage people to visit
I agree with this and agree with motosport getti g acess to govt funds as other sports do.
no problems with this what soever.

however, the current business plan from warbo the great, doesnt stackup.
As pointed out here and other forums, media etc.
If you have an event , then let others in to provide additional activites, but don't charge them and arm and leg, thier first born and take the mortgage as payment.

Seriously, V8 events over the last 5 years have declined in other entertaiment for families.
The Clipsal and Bathurst might be different, but the rest do not stack up to recieve funding.

Most govt are gun shy of the "So called great econimic impact " that even Tony waffled to get govt funding.

as i said before, yes motosport should get some govt funding, but not just for one business, it must go across the board.

It would be interesting to see where govt monies go to these organisation's
how much disappears in so called admin costs.
Would make an interesting case study for someone.