Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Nov 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2343613)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2009 Historic Racing dates (merged)

Historic Sports Car Club Provisional 09 race dates (as at Nov 08) - thought they might be handy. See you there!

Sunday 5th April Donington Park

Sunday 19th April Cadwell Park

Sat/Sun 9/10 May Silverstone (Inter Circ)

Sat/Sun 30/31 May Snetterton (Autosport Trophy)

Sun 14th June Castle Combe

Sat/Sun 4/5th July Brands Hatch GP (Autoglym SuperPrix)

Fri/Sat/Sun 24/25/26th July Silverstone GP (Classic)

Sun 9th Aug Mallory Park

Sat/Sun/Mon 29/30/31 August Oulton Park (Gold Cup)

Sat 12th Sept Brands Hatch (Indy)

Fri/Sat/Sun 25/26/27 Sept Spa (European Historic + 6Hours)

Sat 17th Oct Silverstone (Club)

All subject to change please check with http://www.hscc.org.uk/calendar.html
Old 29 Nov 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2343717)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Which dates are for what classes as I can see entrants giving up on European and any expensive events to return to proper club racing in UK.
Its back to the all day breakfast at Snet and bugger the hospitality ,as it should be.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2343720)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think and hope the HSCC are going to have a very successful year in 2009

maybe some people will be reduced to talking to each other outside John, or heaven forbid, in an awning!

this recession lark is tough
Old 29 Nov 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2343740)   #4
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Its back to the all day breakfast at Snet and bugger the hospitality ,as it should be.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2343747)   #5
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dikko, you missed 3rd/4th October Donington Park. Also, the early Silverstone meeting may be 2nd/3rd May.

A great HSCC programme as usual.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2343755)   #6
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch Superprix clashing with the FoS, I hope one of those dates is re-arranged
Old 29 Nov 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2343853)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We are waiting to see what Graham offers us "FF2000" we would love to go to Castle Combe but not Brands Indy as we have been offered a chance to race at Thruxton on the same date but dont want to upset the HSCC as they have supported our series from the start.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2343920)   #8
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dikko, you missed 3rd/4th October Donington Park. Also, the early Silverstone meeting may be 2nd/3rd May.

According to the FIA GT website, They will be at Silverstone on May3rd.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2343942)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
Brands Hatch Superprix clashing with the FoS, I hope one of those dates is re-arranged
theres a total no brainer if ever I saw one . . . . an expensive car show or a fantastic spread of proper racing on one of the best circuits in the world.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2343946)   #10
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
theres a total no brainer if ever I saw one . . . . an expensive car show or a fantastic spread of proper racing on one of the best circuits in the world.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2343994)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Whats FOG got to do with Historic Racing-There will certainly be no change in Woodgood date so will Ron change his.Meeting of the Titans
Old 10 Dec 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2351985)   #12
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seem to forget those of us who live in the north of England and Scotland!
Old 10 Dec 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2352117)   #13
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp
They seem to forget those of us who live in the north of England and Scotland!
Well said. Two tremendous circuits in Oulton Park and Croft. The 2008 Gold Cup at Oulton Park was a terrific weekend. I can`t understand why every championship organiser doesn`t include a round at Croft. A real ballsy circuit and Darlington & DMC hold the finest £5 steak BBQ on the planet. Glass of wine £1 Large Glass of wine £2 "But don`t bring the glass back, we`ll only have to wash it" or £3 the bottle.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2352127)   #14
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll second that Derwent Motorsp. You must be in Cumberlandshire with a name like that.

Also agree croft is superb circuit and venue. Such a shame that the HSCC stopped their weekend there due to lack of support. Only a couple of hours north of Donington and plenty of people are happy to travel there. Is another 2 hrs to a journey really that hard to bare on a Saturday evening after a days racing?
Old 10 Dec 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2352149)   #15
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
James and Derwent did you come to Pembrey this year.? I would go to Croft with you but would want a double header to make it worth while.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2352150)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You've probably hit the nail on the head there, James. If the HSCC couldn't fill the grids then, they are even less likely to do so now that everyone is reconsidering their level of financial commitment to racing. And I suppose if it took me 5 hours to get to Donington, would I want to take 7 to get to Croft? I think many people have a time/distance boundary beyond which they are unprepared to go, although of course that will vary from person to person. However, I do have sympathy with those who live in the North.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2352407)   #17
James Murray
Racer

Iain no, but went to Thruxton, Brands and Snetteron which are all a good distance from here. I do my fair share of miles but don't mind, just find it a shame that the one meeting that required a bit of travelling from anyone south of Watford Gap was dropped because it was poorly supported. Such a lovely circuit as well. Pembrey suffered the same ill fate I think.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2352415)   #18
James Murray
Racer

Double header justifies the extra travelling I think Iain. Must admit 7 hrs in the truck to Thruxton last March for a saturday practice and 15 min Sunday race was a grind particularly with no heater in the truck and waking up to see the paddock covered in snow. Dont think i've ever been so cold.

Agreed John and lets face it 90% of the competitors I would say are from the south and midlands so it makes sense, particularly the way things are currently.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2352457)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
we did OP and Spa last year, similar distance from the Sussex coast, SPa is a far more pleasant jorney though it has to be said!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2352485)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Certainly is, but IMO Oulton Park is one of our national treasures. Even if most drool over BH GP, the long circuit at OP is so much more challenging.

Of those "oop north" I'd rather go to OP than Cadwell although I've had more success at the latter. Never been to Croft though.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2352496)   #21
James Murray
Racer

Peter Croft is superb, really worth a trip. Cadwell is one of my favourites and imo a national treasure also.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2352500)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't disagree re CP just that it is a bit cramped whereas there's some great corners at OP with a bit more space to play.

Perhaps one day I'll get to Croft, it's about as far away from my home as Pembrey and I've been there a few times!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2352517)   #23
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame no Thruxton. Brands Superprix always the highlight of the season for me. See they've dropped the 2-day Donington meeting in October. Anyone know if the old circuit will continue to function post F1 butchering?
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2352524)   #24
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a Road-driver, who's supported (and enjoyed) both recent HSCC visits to Croft - fantastic circuit, I'd love to go back, even if it is a long slog in the leaky, noisy, draughty race-car.

Likewise I went to Pembrey this year and also really enjoyed it, good track time with the double-header round.

Personally I'm a bit dissapointed with the HSCC calendar, as i'd like to see more variety from year to year, and would like to see us supporting some of the smaller venues for whom life must be a bit of a struggle ... however I realise that many of us will cut back a bit (or a lot) next year, so I'm more concerned that the Club breaks even next year, and is around to continue organising our racing for years to come - hopefully as soon as the outlook brightens up we could spread our wings a little more as far as the circuit choice is concerned. I would like to race at Anglesey too, supposed to be a great circuit, and I would make the effort to get there.

I do feel that it is important that those of who are prepared to go the extra miles, stand up and say so, as there are some who'll be persuaded to join in by peer pressure even if they wouldn't have done so otherwise, of course there may be some who'll probably never drag themselves further from home ...

Finally, a small plea to HSCC, please, please can we get to Thruxton ... my car was hors de service when we went in 2005, and I want to race there - as a child/teenager I spent many meetings freezing my bits off, either spectating or in the race office while Dad was scrutineering there, so I reckon I deserve a chance to race there!

James
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2352535)   #25
James Murray
Racer

Thruxton would be good. Was an HSCC there in 2005 but possibly poorly supported for whatever reason hence why no longer on the card. There have been sporadic HSCC meetings at Thruxton over the years but its never been a regular which is unusual. Castle Combe always has a good following and its a similar circuit in the same part of the country. Maybe its something to do with the number of race meetings they can run there in a season. Isnt it only 6 car events per year?

Tags
historic racing