Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Apr 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2447337)   #26
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
restyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like you did a nice job with Glenn's lens John. Good stuff. Hope yours is not too expensive to fix. Maybe you should make him an offer for the 100-400 !! ?

Richard S
Old 23 Apr 2009, 06:19 (Ref:2447556)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard, I think that if he wanted to get rid of it, he might have dropped a hint! Besides it's a 'pros' lens and I wouldn't be able offer any more excuses for the quality of the pics! Anyway, I'm still getting used to mine.

Should get race 2 up today (hopefully!)
Old 23 Apr 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2447573)   #28
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Police were called to our meeting at Anglesey after some gear was stolen on Sunday. Not sure of what went missing but the boys in blue prowled the paddock for a while.
I rarely locked up until Donnington last year when we had some tools and an airline pinched from the trailer. Shame!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2447588)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 2 - Historic Formula Ford Championship

26 starters; 23 finishers.

A race over 20 minutes sponsored by Grandstand Sports tours and supported by Avon tyres, the FF1600s always entertain. Westie Mitchell was on pole in the Merlyn Mk20 and converted that into a lead off the line, but fellow front row qualifier, Amanda Whittaker was in irresistible form all day, and snatched the lead early on, and was never again headed. She had eked out a decent lead halfway through the race, in her Elden Mk8, but Mitchell came back in the second half, closing at one point to a couple of car lengths but eventually he finished 11.6 seconds behind. I'm afraid I can't at the moment remember why he dropped so far behind (mechanical? spin?). A minor consolation was that he posted fastest race lap. David Wild was a fairly lonely 3rd, in Lola T200. As usual, there were some good battles down the field.

Below, we see Mitchell getting off the line ahead of Whittaker with Wild just behind - in fact thay are maintaining their staggered grid positions. Next up, we see Terry Fullerton in Frank Lyon's Merlyn Mk11A. This was a lovely gesture by Lyons made when he learnt of the theft of Fullerton's own car (see relevant thread). Although last, it secured another signature to the licence. The third picture is of Diogo Ferrao charging up Coppice on his way to 8th in his Merlyn Mk20. Next shows Benn Simms about to take another victim (Dick Dixon - 27 - Lotus 61) in his charge through the field from the back of the field. He had qualified 5th but lined up at the back (I forget why, but Benn can tell us anyway!). All to no avail however, as neither he nor Dixon finished this race, sadly. 63 is Matthew Sturmer heading for 17th in the Macon Mk8, and finally, a shot of Simon Toyne having a grassy moment out of Mansfield in the Neil Fowler Motorsport prepared and entered Lola T200. Toyne was the sole entrant in the 'N' (for 'Novice') class for drivers with no previous race or kart experience. He finished 14th.

Now, I have a question. I didn't follow FF1600 much, so can anyone tell me whether the Elden was competitive in period?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4472wl4.jpg   IMG_4488wl4.jpg   IMG_4491wl4.jpg  

IMG_4522wl4.jpg   IMG_4573wl4.jpg   IMG_4590wl4.jpg  

Old 23 Apr 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2447611)   #30
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elden was very competive in 71 with Tony Brise. Another notable driver was Danny Sullivan. They're very similar in dimension to a Lola T200 but not as robust or pretty imho. Wouldnt like to have a front end crash in one, the frame is incredibly sparse at the front.

I drove the car Amanda has now when my mate owned it and thought it was a dog, she must have put a lot of effort into developing it and it was a well deserved victory.

They appear to be flavour of the month at the moment, I think there were 5 in the race on Sunday.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2447629)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, James; not a pretty car certainly, but effective, since they finished 1st, 4th & 5th; can't see any others on the results sheets.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2447773)   #32
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cadwell would have been the place to be yesterday. Nick Mason was there with his Ferrari 512S for an Octane photoshoot. Surely the first time one of those has been around Cadwell?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2448002)   #33
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought my first Elden in 1976 and put it on the front row in in my first race alongside James Weaver and Sean Walker so to me they will always be a thing of beauty . And as designer Peter Hampshier was in attendance at Cadwell to watch his cars in action. The description of Eldens as 'dogs' seems a bit of an insult .They are not easy to drive with their short wheelbase but very effective in the right hands as results last year and this season prove.

Old 23 Apr 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2448022)   #34
David Owen
Racer

David Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just say that the feedback from the Marshals has been positive, good clean, safe racing.

See you all here again next year, if not before.

And if any drivers fancy a day on the bank drop me a PM.

Old 23 Apr 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2448064)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
In response to John's (JHH911) post above, I attach a pic of him in the 5th place Elden Mk8/10:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4617wl4.jpg  
Old 23 Apr 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2448132)   #36
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
Thanks for the pic of the old dog! -The driver not the car! My first event as a marshall was in 1964 so I will always give you guys a wave at the end of a race as I know without you we would not be racing at all.Feel free to come and have a chat at any time.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2448432)   #37
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonny

It was that car I was talking about not Elden's on the whole. As I said Amanda must have improved it dramatically to be winning races and I'm sure she will tell you as much. When I drove it it was difficult enough to keep it pointing in a straight line. Theres clearly nothing wrong with the inherent design of them though, as you have both proved. Long may it continue its nice to see smething other than a Merlyn winning.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2448490)   #38
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh911 View Post
I bought my first Elden in 1976 and put it on the front row in in my first race alongside James Weaver and Sean Walker so to me they will always be a thing of beauty . And as designer Peter Hampshier was in attendance at Cadwell to watch his cars in action. The description of Eldens as 'dogs' seems a bit of an insult .They are not easy to drive with their short wheelbase but very effective in the right hands as results last year and this season prove.

I presume the first ever Dunlop Star of Tomorrow race Johnny, March 1976? Weaver in a Hawke, Walker in a Royale. Won by David Lang in a Tiga, whatever happened to him I wonder?? Great days.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2448589)   #39
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
I think its fair to say that both Amandas car and mine have benifited from the fact that both Ronnie ,Amandas dad (who I used to race against at Croft in the 70s) myself and Rob, Amandas mechanic,not to mention Amanda herself,have between us decades of experience.This is why we always pit together,swap ideas,and bits when something breaks.Indeed if had not been for Ronnie lending me a rear disk I would not have been able to race at Cadwell.As for David Lang ,he went rallying with Ford but I think destroyed too many cars,and lost his drive.After that I have no idea.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2448661)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - Barry Westmoreland Trophy Race A

15 starters; 13 finishers.

The first race of two in memory of Barry Westmoreland who had sadly died of a heart attack whilst racing at this very meeting last year. This one was for the front engined Formula Junior cars, over 20 minutes.

Less than a tenth of a second covered the front row men of Stuart Roach on pole with his Alexis Mk2 and Ian Bankhurst in the Gemini Mk2. It was Bankhurst who snatched an early lead, and although Roach soon reasserted himself at the front, Bankhurst shadowed him closely for much of the race, until a loss of power forced him to drop back. In fact he pulled into the pits at the end of the penultimate lap only to be frantically waved through back into the race, by his crew, to complete the race. Such had been the lead of the front two over the rest that despite the ailing car and the detour through the pits he was able to retain 2nd place to the flag. A closing Jack Woodhouse (Elva 100) would probably have wished for another lap as he had closed to within 4 seconds of Bankhurst at the end, the latter having dropped 50 seconds to the winner in the last half of the race.

It seems likely that early on Geoffrey O'Nion (20 - Elva 100) made contact with the back of the similar car of Roger Dexter (26), as the first two pics suggest. O'nion kept going to finish 7th, whereas Dexter eventually decided that discretion was the better part of valour and pulled off. Tony Pearson brought out the rare Bandini (7) to finish at the tail of the field. Ian Bankhurst (15) on his way to 2nd, despite problems. Stuart Roach definitely had problems getting Park right locking up on one occasion, and here running wide (although Bankhurst did that at least once also) on his way to victory. Finally, Stephen Barlow (6 - BMC Mk1) thanks Stephen Bulling (Sadler) whilst lapping him. Barlow was 4th, Bulling 11th:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4808wl4.jpg   IMG_4822wl4.jpg   IMG_4814wl4.JPG  

IMG_4880wl4.jpg   IMG_4899wl4.jpg   IMG_4932wl4.jpg  

Old 24 Apr 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2448705)   #41
HFJ Drifter
Rookie

United Kingdom
New Forest
HFJ Drifter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And theres me thinking nobody saw my little excursion off the track!
Nice photo John.
Stuart Roach.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2448769)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I love it when, for whatever reason, we can persuade yet another driver to join in here. Good to hear from you, Stuart; you probably prefer this one:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4910wl4.jpg  
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2448783)   #43
Robert Wainwright
Rookie

Robert Wainwright should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did anyone get any pictures of my car? FF1600 elden mk8 no.32. Robert Wainwright.

cheers
Old 24 Apr 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2448796)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome, Robert:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4561wl4.jpg  
Old 24 Apr 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2448851)   #45
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
26 starters; 23 finishers.

A race over 20 minutes sponsored by Grandstand Sports tours and supported by Avon tyres, the FF1600s always entertain. Westie Mitchell was on pole in the Merlyn Mk20 and converted that into a lead off the line, but fellow front row qualifier, Amanda Whittaker was in irresistible form all day, and snatched the lead early on, and was never again headed. She had eked out a decent lead halfway through the race, in her Elden Mk8, but Mitchell came back in the second half, closing at one point to a couple of car lengths but eventually he finished 11.6 seconds behind. I'm afraid I can't at the moment remember why he dropped so far behind (mechanical? spin?). A minor consolation was that he posted fastest race lap. David Wild was a fairly lonely 3rd, in Lola T200. As usual, there were some good battles down the field.

Below, we see Mitchell getting off the line ahead of Whittaker with Wild just behind - in fact thay are maintaining their staggered grid positions. Next up, we see Terry Fullerton in Frank Lyon's Merlyn Mk11A. This was a lovely gesture by Lyons made when he learnt of the theft of Fullerton's own car (see relevant thread). Although last, it secured another signature to the licence. The third picture is of Diogo Ferrao charging up Coppice on his way to 8th in his Merlyn Mk20. Next shows Benn Simms about to take another victim (Dick Dixon - 27 - Lotus 61) in his charge through the field from the back of the field. He had qualified 5th but lined up at the back (I forget why, but Benn can tell us anyway!). All to no avail however, as neither he nor Dixon finished this race, sadly. 63 is Matthew Sturmer heading for 17th in the Macon Mk8, and finally, a shot of Simon Toyne having a grassy moment out of Mansfield in the Neil Fowler Motorsport prepared and entered Lola T200. Toyne was the sole entrant in the 'N' (for 'Novice') class for drivers with no previous race or kart experience. He finished 14th.

Now, I have a question. I didn't follow FF1600 much, so can anyone tell me whether the Elden was competitive in period?
Hi John nice to see the pictures of the Alexis even from the back it is quite a pretty car shame it isn't as fast as it looks (work to do there)

I was relegated to the back because I was a reserve.......?????............ not sure who thought that was a great Idea but I had a few hairy moments avoiding slower cars whilst overtaking through the pack. Surely if you earn a qualification place and providing it doesn't cause any safety issues you should get that place shouldn't you? after all I paid my fees just like anyone else. We even spoke to the official in the assembly area saying this will end in a accident and he agreed but the c of c has made his decision and that is final.............

Consequently the race ended in a shunt with a blue Crossle I must admit I had a slightly optimistic lunge but to which I was given no room and we hit it bent my front wishbone which ended my race...... Thats ff1600 I suppose........ guess I have been spoilt with CF3.......Rant over.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delta I cannot believe some one would nick your beer what's going on with this world ?????

Hey ho roll on Silverstone

Benn
Old 24 Apr 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2448946)   #46
Robert Wainwright
Rookie

Robert Wainwright should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Welcome, Robert:-
thank you
Old 25 Apr 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2449046)   #47
HFJ Drifter
Rookie

United Kingdom
New Forest
HFJ Drifter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I love it when, for whatever reason, we can persuade yet another driver to join in here. Good to hear from you, Stuart; you probably prefer this one:-
That more like it John, I was only on the grass because I thought I was still trialing, having been on the MCC Lands End trial the weekend before.
Stuart
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2450420)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - HSCC/HRSR ByBox saloons

17 starters; 16 finishers.

A race over 20 minutes, I thought the grid was a little short of the quicker cars which meant that Dan Cox, on pole by 1.9 seconds, disappeared down the road to win by 18.5 seconds from Peter Hore, both in Lotus Cortinas. There was some good racing behind though with a good mix of cars and I can cover the rest with the comments attaching to the pics below.

The first shows the first lap, with the leading cars having already gone through, Shaun Hazlewood's Hillman Imp leads the two Jaguar S types of Tony Pearson and Colin McKay. One S type is rare enough, but two - when did we last see that? Hazlewood finished 10th, whilst Pearson and Mckay finshed 11th and 12th. The sole Anglia, seen behind McKay, is that of Brian Webb, and was the only non finisher.

The second pic shows Andy Jones (86 - Singer Chamois), challenging Andy Harrison (72 - Austin Cooper S). He was to pass him and finish 7th, with Harrison 8th, both having caught and passed Simon Benoy's Hillman Imp. The next pic shows James Fuller (33) passing Mark Garritt (32) on the rising part of Park Straight just before the braking area into Park. Garritt had been chasing 2nd placed Hore before this battle between the Alfa Romeo Guilia Sprint GTs ensued, and they were soon to be joined by a pair of Minis, too. Pic 4 shows Colin McKay's S type in full flight.

The next pic shows the battle for 2nd and 3rd truly joined, with the pair of Mini Cooper S of Roger Godfrey and Mike Smith about to become embroiled in the excellent dice for 3rd with the Alfas. In fact so intense was this battle that it allowed Peter Hore in the Lotus Cortina to maintain 2nd just a few lengths ahead. When Fuller eventually broke away from the group, he caught Hore but lost out by just under 3 tenths at the flag. Godfrey was 4th, Smith 5th, Garritt, 6th. At the back of the group is the fast starting Simon Benoy in the Imp but as we have seen he dropped back into the clutches of Andy Jones who took Class E honours. I think Benoy may have had a problem because he fell well back. The final pic shows Dan Cox cruising to victory.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4953wl4.jpg   IMG_5065wl4.jpg   IMG_5074wl4.jpg  

IMG_5079wl4.jpg   IMG_5085wl4.jpg   IMG_5137wl4.jpg  

Old 27 Apr 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2450814)   #49
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The next pic shows James Fuller (33) passing Mark Garritt (32) on the rising part of Park Straight just before the braking area into Park. Garritt had been chasing 2nd placed Hore before this battle between the Alfa Romeo Guilia Sprint GTs ensued, and they were soon to be joined by a pair of Minis, too. Pic 4 shows Colin McKay's S type in full flight.

The next pic shows the battle for 2nd and 3rd truly joined, with the pair of Mini Cooper S of Roger Godfrey and Mike Smith about to become embroiled in the excellent dice for 3rd with the Alfas. In fact so intense was this battle that it allowed Peter Hore in the Lotus Cortina to maintain 2nd just a few lengths ahead. When Fuller eventually broke away from the group, he caught Hore but lost out by just under 3 tenths at the flag. Godfrey was 4th, Smith 5th, Garritt, 6th.
Thanks John, had a good tussle with Jimmy, which was quite frustrating, he's quicker down the straights, I just could not get past Peter and each lap Roger, Jimmy and co were closing the gap, so held back hoping to bunch them up into their own scrap and head off after Peter again, mistake.....thought Roger and Jimmy drove well, seem to remember seeing Roger flying past through a cloud of smoke from my spin, lots to learn yet..

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Apr 2009 at 06:31.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2451297)   #50
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Classic Racing Cars

13 starters; 11 finishers.

Supported by Chartland Properties Ltd, this race was over 20 minutes, and we could have done witn a few more cars. Fortunately, the race at the front was absorbing as we watched to see if poleman, Michael Scott (88 - Brabham BT30), could withstand the pressure of regular winner in this series, Ian Gray (1 - BT16). The short answer is 'no' but in fact Scott drove really well, I thought, and kept Gray behind for over half the race. Even when Gray took the lead it wasn't over, since Scott came back at him, and was within 2 tenths at the flag. The rest were at least three quarters of a minute behind and had become spread out fairly early on, although Paul McMorran and Will Shryver were close by the end. We saw another outing for Terry Fullerton in Frank Lyons Merlyn, and whilst still last of the finishers he had a target in Peter Williams (Brabham BT15) this time and finished very closely behind having actually put up a faster best lap.

The first pic shows Cliff Giddens (56 - Brabham BT16) having got the power down better exiting Charlies, getting a run on Ronnie Haines (45 - Cooper T82). Haines had reasserted himself by the next lap to finish 8th whilst Giddens non finished, John Waggott being the other non finisher in his BT18. At this location on the Park Straight, you can also see the section of track heading away from Mansfield.

The second pic shows Scott leading Gray into Mansfield on the first lap. Next up, we are looking at John Waggot (74 - DNF), Paul McMorran (23 - Crossle 17F - 4th), Chris Holland (71 - Brabham BT21 - 6th) & Michael Hibberd (22 - Lotus 22 - 7th) as they sweep through Charlies. Grant Clearwater (16 - Brabham BT16) finished 3rd, whilst Gareth Paul finished 9th in his Merlyn Mk17A (15). Last, but not least, we have Will Schryver in the Lotus 27 (77) in which he finished 5th:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5176wl4.jpg   IMG_5204wl4.jpg   IMG_5215wl4.jpg  

IMG_5228wl4.jpg   IMG_5251wl4.jpg   IMG_5282wl4.jpg