Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Mar 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2840334)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Firestone Leaving IndyCar after 2011 Season

Firestone issued a news release on this about 30 minutes ago.

They tried to work out something that would suit both parties but could not.

Firestone and IndyCar are going "different directions" (the final two works in Al Speyer's last quote in the release)

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Mar 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2840414)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oops!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Mar 2011, 03:57 (Ref:2840436)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well no surprise. For what it cost Firestone, there is no doubt it's not worth it anymore. This isn't 1995 anymore. You could probably fit the number of people in the world that actually care about this series anymore on a basketball court. Good on them for moving on to more prosperous pastures and hopefully other racing series. I told one of their execs years ago there were plenty of other great opportunities out there that had a better cost vs. benefit ratio and not to waste their time on a decrepit backwards series like indycar.

Rodeo Randy is going to have his hands full lassoing a new tire partner that will actually bring bucks to the table and a tire that will not explode at 225 mph for 500 miles. He better get crackin' cause R&D takes a while.

Tomorrow we'll definitely celebrate the news!
Old 5 Mar 2011, 04:19 (Ref:2840438)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crap, that's late!
Old 5 Mar 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2840741)   #5
gillesf
Rookie

gillesf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That’s not surprising; IRL has very little value anymore as a marketing tool. The cost of developing an oval racing tire would be a massive waste of money for any company other than the one already in nascar stuff.

Bridgestone is pulling Firestone from IRL and they also left F1. Maybe they are looking to join Michelin and enter into LeMans. That would make endurance racing more of a battle.

Pirelli has picked up the F1 opening after leaving GrandAm and Continental entered GrandAm after forming an alliance with Hoosier. Goodyear has nascar and is already in LeMans lmp2/gt with Dunlop. Michelin has LeMans locked up plus GT world wide and is in WRC/Desert with BF Goodrich. Cooper is in f3, IMSA Lites and now LeMans lmp. Cooper also has a big effort in UK/Europe with the Avon brand.

Doesn’t leave many options for the development budget, even less options when you are talking an oval tire for a less than strong OW second tier draw to anything series.

Korean companies seem to smart to waste money on top tier expense. Kumho passed on F1 and Hankook stays in the lower ranks. They focus on OEM supply and OEM replacement markets. They have both realized that marketing at sporting events like FIFA, MLS or Stadiums is more cost effective. Smart!

I think Nexen is at Walmart now. Maybe they are interested in what OW racing has to offer now that control of all OW has been established in the hands of Indy. While there the IRL could offer a coupon for a outdated nascar shirt from the clearance rack.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 01:00 (Ref:2840856)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also keep in mind Firestone is yanking support of "indy lights" as well.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 04:14 (Ref:2840891)   #7
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Losing such a great partner that did so much for promoting the sport is a real shame.

Losing the Magic Rings commercials, specifically, is not.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 03:47 (Ref:2841269)   #8
PZippy
Rookie

United States
Park Ridge, Illinois
PZippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques - I totally agree. I really didn't care for those ads creatively. However, I think they've been a model partner for IndyCar so I always gave them a pass.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2841560)   #9
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cooper sponsored the Atlantics in their dying days, maybe they can be brought back to open wheelers again
Old 7 Mar 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2841568)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well diligent searching will uncover someone. I am not sure what tire companies aren't merged already to have any optionss...unless IMS Decides to create their own tires just for indy...time's wasting randy
Old 8 Mar 2011, 03:57 (Ref:2841925)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
Well diligent searching will uncover someone. I am not sure what tire companies aren't merged already to have any optionss...unless IMS Decides to create their own tires just for indy...time's wasting randy
I doubt they'll find a deal as enticing as Firestone's. Firestone was subsidizing a large portion of the real cost of the tires, plus it appeared they were tipping in money to sponsor races and other promotion. Plus you had indy lights as well. Someone more interested could sit down and try to crunch the numbers but at the end of the day it's a sizable sum to replace.

With 2000 people at the season finale and Buttmaster infomercials outdrawing the league on TV, good luck finding a solid replacement that tips cash into the till.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2842033)   #12
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I doubt they'll find a deal as enticing as Firestone's. Firestone was subsidizing a large portion of the real cost of the tires, plus it appeared they were tipping in money to sponsor races and other promotion. Plus you had indy lights as well. Someone more interested could sit down and try to crunch the numbers but at the end of the day it's a sizable sum to replace.

With 2000 people at the season finale and Buttmaster infomercials outdrawing the league on TV, good luck finding a solid replacement that tips cash into the till.
Tony George and his supporters wanted control of the sport and spent a good portion of the family fortune in that pursuit. Now it's time to reap what was sown.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2842207)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz2k View Post
Tony George and his supporters wanted control of the sport and spent a good portion of the family fortune in that pursuit. Now it's time to reap what was sown.
I've said that many times over the years and it is happening. Just a gradual drain on their incomes and resources and value of their businesses. By insisting they had to have the whole pie, the pie has been hacked at enough that only crumbs are left.

I'm sure they will source tires from somewhere, but if anyone thinks they'll be as generous as Firestone, they are living in denial. Firestone spent a lot of money compared to what they got in return.

The next thing to go boom is when Honda pulls the plug.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2842749)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is the latest, courtesy of Robin Miller:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...eep-firestone/

Don't know if Firestone even cares, but at least the owners said they are more thanwilling to pay more for tires if it keeps them around for 2012.

Let's see if this gets any traction or not...no pun intended.

Old 9 Mar 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2842919)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Here is the latest, courtesy of Robin Miller:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...eep-firestone/

Don't know if Firestone even cares, but at least the owners said they are more thanwilling to pay more for tires if it keeps them around for 2012.

Let's see if this gets any traction or not...no pun intended.
So are the owners running the show or the irl?

Obviously the owners want Firestone to stick around, but I think the main sticking point for Firestone was their other associated costs, which most of that was going into the pockets of the irl.

I would bet the decision to end Firestone's deal in the irl was taken over the head of Al Speyer.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2842955)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:

Obviously the owners want Firestone to stick around, but I think the main sticking point for Firestone was their other associated costs, which most of that was going into the pockets of the irl.

I would bet the decision to end Firestone's deal in the irl was taken over the head of Al Speyer.
I thought that the article stated that Ropin' Randy held the meeting with owners, or at least he was present for it.

I think you're right about the other associated costs and the fact that the decision was probably made over Speyer's head...

Will the owners' willingness to pay more for the product make a difference?

Who knows? At least the offer and their willingness to do so can't hurt any more than not making an effort at all to try to keep Firestone around for 2012.

They've got everything to gain and nothing to lose at this point, so why not try it?

Old 9 Mar 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2843001)   #17
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes please! One step closer to the CART revival! BTW IRL is dead, it's Indycar now.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2843104)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
I thought that the article stated that Ropin' Randy held the meeting with owners, or at least he was present for it.

I think you're right about the other associated costs and the fact that the decision was probably made over Speyer's head...

Will the owners' willingness to pay more for the product make a difference?

Who knows? At least the offer and their willingness to do so can't hurt any more than not making an effort at all to try to keep Firestone around for 2012.

They've got everything to gain and nothing to lose at this point, so why not try it?
Sure if I was an owner, which I wouldn't be in this trainwreck of a series, but if I was, I'd want Firestone to stick around as well. For 15 years, I think they have been pretty generous as well as providing a solid product.

But it seems the irl had their price, Firestone theirs and when Firestone wouldn't play, the irl said bye. Bugger the team owners.

Who knows, Firestone may have bigger fish to fry. They've worked the patch of open wheel for 15 years, time to move on. Decision has been made and they're movin on.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2843108)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Yes please! One step closer to the CART revival! BTW IRL is dead, it's Indycar now.
It's still the irl and will be until they sell out. Only then can we consider what brand of turd polish to buy to spiff it up.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 23:57 (Ref:2843110)   #20
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's still the irl and will be until they sell out. Only then can we consider what brand of turd polish to buy to spiff it up.
LOL. If the IRL was truly dead why did they bring back TG? Complete lunacy.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 02:16 (Ref:2843150)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Also keep in mind Firestone is yanking support of "indy lights" as well.
Well if they were going to pull out of IndyCar, I think pulling out of Indy Lights was a given.

This pretty much begs the question, which tyre manufacturer has the manufacturing capacity to supply both IndyCar and Indy Lights as they are both fairly well intergrated?
Old 10 Mar 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2843192)   #22
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If IRL would wanted to change something they should turn it into an open concept where teams can buy each car component from the supplier they want, within some well thought technical regulation, of course.

I really start to dislike all this one make nonsense that is put forward under the cost cutting banner. And lets not forget the real competition that manufacturers would be in which would aid the markets as well as it creates concurrence. Todays race series remind a lot to the system called "controlled economy" that broke down a little over 20 years ago in my front porch.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2843452)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
If IRL would wanted to change something they should turn it into an open concept where teams can buy each car component from the supplier they want, within some well thought technical regulation, of course.

I really start to dislike all this one make nonsense that is put forward under the cost cutting banner. And lets not forget the real competition that manufacturers would be in which would aid the markets as well as it creates concurrence. Todays race series remind a lot to the system called "controlled economy" that broke down a little over 20 years ago in my front porch.
Agreed. And every series that has gone down this path has dropped in popularity.

I think people are afraid of competition, but competition is what motorsport is all about. There are going to be winners and losers, and there are going to be people more talented or have brighter ideas than others. All these series want to "level the playing field" and by doing so they just make it boring and uninteresting.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2844048)   #24
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firestone staying till 2013 per NH Facebook posting:

Newman/Haas Racing
Great news that Firestone will remain the sole tire supplier for the IZOD INDYCAR Series through 2013. We will post stories when they are available.

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...s-tracks-back/

BTW, don't expect to see NH in Indycar after this year.

Last edited by HJJ; 11 Mar 2011 at 17:11.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2844089)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that's over. Now they have 2 years to entice or get a tire war going