Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3716381)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Photos

Good for Mr Waters into 4th too..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Mar 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3716407)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Good for Mr Waters into 4th too..
thats looks mean. great photo
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:12 (Ref:3716535)   #3
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
thats looks mean. great photo
Yep, terrific photo, well done to <insert name here/who cares, right?> for standing out in the Adelaide heat to do a bunch of unrecognised work.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:13 (Ref:3716536)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Yep, terrific photo, well done to <insert name here/who cares, right?> for standing out in the Adelaide heat to do a bunch of unrecognised work.
Prodrive shared the image, their work is unattributed.. like most of the rest...
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:20 (Ref:3716539)   #5
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Photo from prodrive. Not that hard to type I wouldn't have thought, and it might cease the carte blanche photo posting with no credit that seems to occur regularly here. Yet heaven help if you cut and paste a written article without some kind of recognition to the source...
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:21 (Ref:3716540)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A photo though is complete in and of itself, not a one liner from an article with more information within.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Mar 2017, 01:57 (Ref:3716548)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Photo from prodrive. Not that hard to type I wouldn't have thought, and it might cease the carte blanche photo posting with no credit that seems to occur regularly here. Yet heaven help if you cut and paste a written article without some kind of recognition to the source...
There's a lot to be said for watermarking...
Old 5 Mar 2017, 02:12 (Ref:3716551)   #8
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I believe there is a debate going thru Canberra in regards to Copyright.
What can be copied/used in small context etc,
A lot of pushing for owners rights , and if you want to use it , pay

But then if an article/pic/ etc is released into the public domain, then that comes under a different ruling
Old 5 Mar 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3716555)   #9
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I believe there is a debate going thru Canberra in regards to Copyright.
What can be copied/used in small context etc,
A lot of pushing for owners rights , and if you want to use it , pay

But then if an article/pic/ etc is released into the public domain, then that comes under a different ruling
I'm not talking about laws, I'm talking about common decency.

As someone who stands on the other side of a lens there is nothing more infuriating than seeing your work used without any kind of recognition. It's bad enough that the craft of photography has been devalued to zero in the current day and age of forum and social media, but now it's become standard practice to lift other people's photos, host them on your own page like smugmug and then post them wherever and whenever you want without even a mere mention of where you got the shot or even IF you took the shot yourself.

I'm not sure why there is this current attitude of "if you post it on social media, you lose any right to it", either morally or legally. Extremely poor form IMO.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 02:51 (Ref:3716559)   #10
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not talking about laws, I'm talking about common decency.

As someone who stands on the other side of a lens there is nothing more infuriating than seeing your work used without any kind of recognition. It's bad enough that the craft of photography has been devalued to zero in the current day and age of forum and social media, but now it's become standard practice to lift other people's photos, host them on your own page like smugmug and then post them wherever and whenever you want without even a mere mention of where you got the shot or even IF you took the shot yourself.

I'm not sure why there is this current attitude of "if you post it on social media, you lose any right to it", either morally or legally. Extremely poor form IMO.
I agree with you, I was pointing about an article I read , in regards to owner ship and use of other ppls material,(wether written or pic).

Perhaps you should give your local fed member a call , because there is lots on the public domain, that never receive any recognition
Old 5 Mar 2017, 02:58 (Ref:3716561)   #11
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Sweet mate, appreciate your support.

I find it ironic that people get upset if they feel one of their rumours on here gets recycled on other sites/forum/media, but its carte blanche on photographers 'actual' work.

Pretty telling about the value currently placed by some on the work the women and men walking around with 10's of thousands of dollars of equipment in heat/rain/etc. I'm sure I speak for many who work in the industry when I say (in the most italic written sickly sarcastic font) "thanks mate".
Old 5 Mar 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3716593)   #12
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree mayhem. Major reason why I got out of the industry. Too easy for people to rip off your work and no one else gives a stuff.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3716595)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Photos

If I had a dollar for everytime I had heard of someone within the industry ripping off a snapper I'd be able to afford some good camera gear to give it a go myself. I'm not just talking about fans/forums social media and the like but also drivers and teams responsible which is pretty poor.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 08:19 (Ref:3716604)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is there commercial value generated through the secondary use of these images?

Is the use enabled under a creative commons licence, for investigation, study and input?

Old 5 Mar 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3716625)   #15
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Is there commercial value generated through the secondary use of these images?

Is the use enabled under a creative commons licence, for investigation, study and input?

Forget money, forget law, its about common decency. Or maybe decency is uncommon here? I'm not sure...

Just as you've moaned about media outlets or other websites re-running your 'Powder Room' stories without any sign of recognition, photographers are tired of people using their work without a mere mention of the source. The difference between your rumours and a photographers' photo is that I can substantiate that you've used someone's photo; if one of your many rumours appears at other places, the only way you can say for sure that its been stolen from you is if you actually made the rumour up in the first place...

If it doesn't matter where you sourced a photograph, why does it matter where people get articles from that they post on this forum? Its generally expected here at ten-tenths that if you cut n paste some/all of an article that you attribute where the article originated. Is it because you feel a piece of written work is more deserving of some credit to the author than a photographers image? If so, why?

For someone so hung up on 'the industry' and it's many employees livelihoods, it seems time and time again the lowly photographer is forgotten, be it amateur or professional. Sad really.
Old 6 Mar 2017, 01:48 (Ref:3716765)   #16
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Forget money, forget law, its about common decency. Or maybe decency is uncommon here? I'm not sure...

Just as you've moaned about media outlets or other websites re-running your 'Powder Room' stories without any sign of recognition, photographers are tired of people using their work without a mere mention of the source. The difference between your rumours and a photographers' photo is that I can substantiate that you've used someone's photo; if one of your many rumours appears at other places, the only way you can say for sure that its been stolen from you is if you actually made the rumour up in the first place...

If it doesn't matter where you sourced a photograph, why does it matter where people get articles from that they post on this forum? Its generally expected here at ten-tenths that if you cut n paste some/all of an article that you attribute where the article originated. Is it because you feel a piece of written work is more deserving of some credit to the author than a photographers image? If so, why?

For someone so hung up on 'the industry' and it's many employees livelihoods, it seems time and time again the lowly photographer is forgotten, be it amateur or professional. Sad really.
With the technology today, social media and all the rest, it's not going to get any better.

What $hits me is the average punters who go buy the gear, sit on the other side of the fence, snap away and then flog there work as professional with business names and all, whilst none exist if you look them up. Not to mention then attempt to make a dollar off eBay.
Old 6 Mar 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3716802)   #17
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
This is the article, I refereed too, back a few posts :

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fede...20-gtf6i0.html
Old 6 Mar 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3716811)   #18
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the risk of getting torn to shreds.....get over yourselves!
I realize that the people who take the really good pics at events have a talent (of sorts) behind the lens, however the average bloke can pickup a reasonably good digital SLR these days and come up with some pretty good results. Admittedly, probably not quite as good as a very few of the pro's, but generally up there, pretty close, quality wise. Unfortunately, photography is dying as a profession. There's people out there still doing it but it's a tough gig, when every man and his dog can get access to top shelf equipment these days and Photoshop can turn average shots into pretty good shots. Plus, there's no money in it.
Take a look at some of the pro shots out there after a weekends racing anywhere around the country. Honestly.....Do you really think that they are head and shoulders above the rest of us plebs, quality wise? I don't think so! What they do have, is access to a few better locations which, may or may not, give them an advantage, in getting the money shot that we all strive for.
TBH, if you're feeling that precious about your pics, and you think that they are that good, watermark them, or attempt to make some money out of it. Good luck with that! I couldn't give a rats, who copies and uses some of my shots. I take it as a bit of a compliment that any of them get used.
Old 6 Mar 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3716814)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
At the risk of getting torn to shreds.....get over yourselves!
I realize that the people who take the really good pics at events have a talent (of sorts) behind the lens, however the average bloke can pickup a reasonably good digital SLR these days and come up with some pretty good results. Admittedly, probably not quite as good as a very few of the pro's, but generally up there, pretty close, quality wise. Unfortunately, photography is dying as a profession. There's people out there still doing it but it's a tough gig, when every man and his dog can get access to top shelf equipment these days and Photoshop can turn average shots into pretty good shots. Plus, there's no money in it.
Take a look at some of the pro shots out there after a weekends racing anywhere around the country. Honestly.....Do you really think that they are head and shoulders above the rest of us plebs, quality wise? I don't think so! What they do have, is access to a few better locations which, may or may not, give them an advantage, in getting the money shot that we all strive for.
TBH, if you're feeling that precious about your pics, and you think that they are that good, watermark them, or attempt to make some money out of it. Good luck with that! I couldn't give a rats, who copies and uses some of my shots. I take it as a bit of a compliment that any of them get used.
about where i see