Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1197142)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Brian Barwick leaves ITV - the end of James Allen?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14068.html

GrandPrix.com is reporting that Barwick has left ITV to take a role at the FA leaving a Mr Mark Sharman to take over the role.
Barwick was a supporter of James Allen in F1, however it seems his only supporter in his role as commentator with the rest of the ITV sport staff wanting to replace Allen.

Will he be given the elbow?
Old 10 Jan 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1197148)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Without wishing ill I would like to see a replacement. However it is hard to get rid of someone, sometimes it is just easier to continue. Is Barwick a man who wants to improve there program? One assumes he is, as he has the job of doing so. He has a long way to go, but easy gains can be made. IMHO.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1197154)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There don't seem to be any James Allen fans on the net either. Ben Edwards would be ideal for the role, as he has that certain character and charisma that the sport's lacked in the last few years, and I'm sure viewing figues would rise as a result. The only issue is whether it'd be worth paying James' contract off.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1197178)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll wish ill will, James Allen ruins a grand prix weekend for the vast majority of ITV viewers (and the poor souls who get his commentary abroad). The sooner he's replaced, the better.

The downside being I don't think we're that lucky.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1197187)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If I remember correctly, I read a couple of months ago there was growing discontent amongst the ITV F1 staff towards J Allen, and that Barwick was his only supporter.

I do hope he is replaced as I think he's an embarrasment.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1197189)   #6
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know nothing of Ben Edwards, but from your descriptions he sounds far better than Allen... then again that's not much of an achievement is it..?
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1197190)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe we will see more of the Brundle/Blundell combination with the odd 'guest' commentators thrown in?
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1197197)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Blundell wouldn't be much better than James Allen for the main commentary role. He's adequate as an expert summariser, but his inability to speak coherent English is infuriating, and he doesn't add as much insight or humour as Martin.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1197217)   #9
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But with Ben Edwards being as knowledgable as he is, is Martin Brundle needed? You should have one of them being exciteable and enthusiastic and the other able to offer a technical perspective. Would Ben and Martin 'gel' together????
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1197225)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, they would "gel".

Ben is an ideal "lead" commentator - and Brundle an ideal "expert".
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1197246)   #11
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scuse my hignorance, but what's Ben Edwards's background? The name rings a bell but I'm at a loss for what.

Can I throw in my vote against a Brundle/Blundell combination. Apart from it being two drivers - and I do think you need a commentator (professional or "enthusiastic amateur" like Murray) - I agree with the above that Blundell's a good pundit but doesn't have the wit for live-action commentary. Martin, however, is naturally a prerequisite and must not be lost at any cost.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1197247)   #12
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and for the deity of your choice's sake, please don't promote Ted Kravitz to the box. I mean he's technically pretty knowledgable and he doesn't make you squirm with embarrassment like James Alien, but he's just such an anorak! Sorry, Ted.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1197250)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ben Edwards commentated on F1 for Eurosport 1995-96, then CART until 2000.

Since then he's mainly done the BTCC for ITV.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1197259)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He also worked for F1digital+ in its short-lived life
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1197263)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Prior to that Ben was Chief Instructor at Brands Hatch and has raced in many formula during his racng career
Old 10 Jan 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1197272)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Ben has got a great voice aswell, perfect for motorsport.

Martin Haven is very good and under used.
He does a lot of Eurosport commentry and has reduced me to tears on a few occasions he can be that funny - he did commentry on the 1999 yachow German Hillclimb, and he was just ripping it out of these mad drunken Austrians & Germans in fancy dress trying to ride a motorcross bike up a big hill, then followed the rigged result with the Germans getting the win.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1197275)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Ben Edwards would be an excellent choice, I might even start watching F1 again if he was the commentator.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1197278)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
No one's mentioned Charlie Cox yet!
Old 10 Jan 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1197289)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well I hope he'd get Ben's job when Ben moves to F1.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1197303)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think Charlie Cox's committments to the BBC for motorbike racing would preclude that
Old 10 Jan 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1197325)   #21
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
please don't promote Ted Kravitz to the box. I mean he's technically pretty knowledgable and he doesn't make you squirm with embarrassment like James Alien, but he's just such an anorak! Sorry, Ted.
Completely agree here.

I think JA was in the same position - he was actually a reasonably good pit reporter, it's only since his ascendance to the main box that his weaknesses as a main commentator have become readily apparent.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1197328)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

I wonder if it's only hard core followers like us James annoys...

What do Steven and Marjorie Punter make of him?
Old 10 Jan 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1197334)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I don't think they maximum banana him.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1197336)   #24
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly don't!

A couple of friends of mine who are casual viewers have commentated on the incessant droning from the commentary.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1197347)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everyone wishes for Murray