Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3741862)   #5501
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The fastest average ever. Slower time than a 917 round a shorter circuit.
Yeah I think measuring the current circuits lap time and the overall average are the best ways of doing it. The circuit is so different from the 70s that if you compare lap times you might as well bring in the Bugatti circuit.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3741873)   #5502
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toyota's 2017 TS050 is officially the fastest (quickest?) lmp1 ever
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3741876)   #5503
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most certainly is. Hopefully an onboard of it gets posted by Toyota with telemetry.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3741883)   #5504
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
You know what I love the most about it? How efficiently it does it. Anyone can build a massive engine, use loads of energy and gets lots of power. There's no skill or knowledge in that anymore. Toyota was the fastest ever lap of Le Mans, and did it on a lot less fuel than they used even a few years ago.

I'm sure someone will have the fuel numbers available, but isn't the current car using about half the fuel of what the cars did pre-hybrid? Being fast is impressive. Being fast and using less energy to do it - that's incredible. We all love these cars because of the engineering of them, and the energy numbers are part of that.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3741885)   #5505
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy91BcB8pRQ

and let's not forget, the car was on medium tires only.

i might be wrong, but i thought i saw porsche's 3:17 being done on hard tires.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3741887)   #5506
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You know what I love the most about it? How efficiently it does it. Anyone can build a massive engine, use loads of energy and gets lots of power. There's no skill or knowledge in that anymore. Toyota was the fastest ever lap of Le Mans, and did it on a lot less fuel than they used even a few years ago.

I'm sure someone will have the fuel numbers available, but isn't the current car using about half the fuel of what the cars did pre-hybrid? Being fast is impressive. Being fast and using less energy to do it - that's incredible. We all love these cars because of the engineering of them, and the energy numbers are part of that.
Yes, I bet it used a hell of a lot less fuel than the 917 or 956 from those comparison laps did! Despite more braking.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3742057)   #5507
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we look at the sector times, Kobayashi is 1.5 seconds up on anyone else in sector 3. Porsche matches Toyota in sector 1 and only half a second in sector 2.
To have the straightline speed and the performance in sector 3 lends itself to the blown diffuser theory swirling around....
Old 16 Jun 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3742122)   #5508
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the theory that it's a double diffusor? A blown diffusor should be impossible.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3742183)   #5509
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankfile View Post
Isn't the theory that it's a double diffusor? A blown diffusor should be impossible.
sorry yeah I mean some kind of double.

I've read the interviews and Rob leupen denies this.. But of course you don't admit to something like this, ever, as a team.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3742254)   #5510
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For whatever reason it leads to the theory that the Toyota is a better car.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3742293)   #5511
Articus
Veteran

Toyota LMP1 Discussion

Quote:
For whatever reason it leads to the theory that the Toyota is a better car.

I'm trying to understand why the Toyota is better.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3742296)   #5512
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I know. My point is that it could be better aero - for whatever reason - that more effeciently provides downforce for drag as Toyota have concentrated on Le Mans and got it sorted aero wise for two years now. Or it could be better mechanical grip so less aero is needed for the cornering speed. Or better engine/power deployment which allows more downforce, but still maintaining the top speed/acceleration needed.

Those characteristic could be explained by such things, but they could be explained by other aspects. So, I'm only certain enough to surmise that the Toyota is a better car.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3742305)   #5513
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
I know. My point is that it could be better aero - for whatever reason - that more effeciently provides downforce for drag as Toyota have concentrated on Le Mans and got it sorted aero wise for two years now. Or it could be better mechanical grip so less aero is needed for the cornering speed. Or better engine/power deployment which allows more downforce, but still maintaining the top speed/acceleration needed.

Those characteristic could be explained by such things, but they could be explained by other aspects. So, I'm only certain enough to surmise that the Toyota is a better car.

No complaint here. I was just thinking it may be predominantly aero related even though Toyota only acknowledge powertrain gains.

With a set fuel flow rate, and 8MJ I just don't see how there could be a significant powertrain difference between the 2 brands.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3742316)   #5514
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Downforce?

People refer to 'downforce'...do these Prototypes actually have much in the way of 'downforce'?

Yes they're aerodynamic, but their wings are hardly F1 'downforce'...surely these LMP's have 'Suckforce'...as when they take too much apex kerb they loose the seal and spin as we have seen in practice!
Old 16 Jun 2017, 21:35 (Ref:3742337)   #5515
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How a hot race could compromise Toyota at Le Mans???

Hope this isnt true.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...e-mans-919014/
Old 16 Jun 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3742338)   #5516
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I fear that Toyota might be screwed if the ACO enforce rule 10.10.3 of their technical regulations that state that unless a car has an AC system, you can only run 80 minute stints between driver changes if the ambient temp exceeds 32C for at least one hour and will be enforced for that hour.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3742340)   #5517
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Forecast isn't set to reach that until Monday. Would only be for an hour or so at most if it does get enforced.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 21:54 (Ref:3742346)   #5518
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
How does that work? If they enforce it for, say, an hour does that mean that anyone who has driven in that hour can only do an 80 minute stint?

I also read they define the enforcement before the race? Is that true?
Old 16 Jun 2017, 21:56 (Ref:3742347)   #5519
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever trickery Toyota is using (again ), have to say their LM package looks very impressive, both visually and performance-wise. They seem to have figured out a front-end concept a bit reminiscent of the original R15 (but also combining elements of the 2015 LM R18) and it's working really well. At least that's what I see.

It's impressive, because Audi abandoned the original R15 concept and I don't recall any LMP1 trying to use anything similar at the front end, and this year's TS050 is the closest I've seen.

Meanwhile, ByKolles is still trying to use the 2016 R18 concept, which I still think is not a good fit for Le Mans. Too bad there is no one for them to measure themselves against (except LMP2s)
Old 16 Jun 2017, 22:02 (Ref:3742351)   #5520
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
How does that work? If they enforce it for, say, an hour does that mean that anyone who has driven in that hour can only do an 80 minute stint?

I also read they define the enforcement before the race? Is that true?
Yeah they define the times before the race. 2 hours before I think. So they'll say "between 3 and 6 local time, the rule is in place", and the max stint they can do is 80 minutes.

Toyota would probably just do 45 minute stints in that scenario, so it doesn't effect the overall race strategy. If you do 2 stints you need to stop 10 minutes early.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3742355)   #5521
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks.

I wonder why they chose 80 minutes.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3742484)   #5522
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
How a hot race could compromise Toyota at Le Mans???

Hope this isnt true.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...e-mans-919014/
Has Porsche an AC in the 919?
Old 17 Jun 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3742486)   #5523
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah the 919 has air con
Old 17 Jun 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3742515)   #5524
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
People refer to 'downforce'...do these Prototypes actually have much in the way of 'downforce'?

Yes they're aerodynamic, but their wings are hardly F1 'downforce'...surely these LMP's have 'Suckforce'...as when they take too much apex kerb they loose the seal and spin as we have seen in practice!
They are both a downward force on the car. Downforce is generated by the entire body. 1.5-1.8 tons of downforce according to Tom K.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 23:57 (Ref:3743895)   #5525
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welp....