Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 8 May 2002, 01:07 (Ref:279896)   #1
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poggiali absolutely disgusting

so Poggiali has been disqualified from the Marlboro Grand Prix of Spain, but so what!
He finished like 9 or 10 anyway, its not like it hurt his title challenge in anyway.

Personally I think the penality does not go far enough!! He should be stripped of more then just the 3 or 4 pionts he gained and should possibly have to miss a race or two.

I think his riding was more the "irresponsible" and although i haven't heard exactly how Alex de Angelis is, he definately looked in a very bad way! Sickening in fact! I'm certain that he will be missing races. I think he mangeled his hand pretty badly. He was riding superbly, heading for his first podium (i think), a team one-two, and was basically riding better then Poggiali! Only Poggiali's arrogance and stupidity caused an accident, which although was very bad, could have been even worse!

Manuel Poggiali gets a big thumbs down from me!
Old 8 May 2002, 07:48 (Ref:279978)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, that was a very dumb move by Poggiali. The way he moved over on de Angelis was certainly uncalled for and I would like to have read an explanation concerning why he moved over on him like he did.

The only explanation possible (besides doing it deliberately, but no rider is THAT stupid) is that he though de Angelis has dropped back. But he still should have left room just in case he was still there, which he was.

He certainly did deserve to be disqualified.
Old 8 May 2002, 08:11 (Ref:280000)   #3
asha
Veteran

http://www.motogp.com/multimedia/80/80600.jpg

Well i just watched the race today (on video) and Poggiali just wasn't quick enough. de Angelis was in front, then Poggiali was side by side with him, while de Angelis had the racing line Poggiali just moved across!!

Furthermore, the fact that an appeal has been lodged to the FIM Stewards (one that was quickly and corretly rejected), show an equally disgusting lack of sportsmanship from the young San Marino rider.

Last edited by asha; 8 May 2002 at 08:14.
Old 8 May 2002, 08:21 (Ref:280009)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most likely the team would have lodged that appeal. But I do still agree that the move by Poggiali was quite wrong.
Old 8 May 2002, 10:40 (Ref:280116)   #5
asha
Veteran

everyone appeal everything this days, i dont like it.
Accept the refs decision i say! (unless it's really really wrong)
Old 8 May 2002, 11:23 (Ref:280170)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It just seemed like a mistake on Poggiali's side. He moved across when de Angelis was still there. It happens to many racers over time. Yes, it is dangerous but peripheral vision isn't exactly great with a helmet on.

f1manoz, no rider is that stupid? You have forgotten the title won a few years ago by one rider taking out another.
Old 8 May 2002, 11:32 (Ref:280195)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
I remember the incident you're talking about. Capirossi took out Harada to win the title.

I didn't mean to say Poggiali was stupid (I wouldn't say that, he's my favourite), it was just a silly mistake that cost both him and de Angelis points.
Old 8 May 2002, 12:58 (Ref:280280)   #8
asha
Veteran

i'll say it!
Poggiali was stupid, irresponsible, and worse!
Old 8 May 2002, 13:10 (Ref:280291)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Tell it like it is, eh, Asha?!
Old 8 May 2002, 14:17 (Ref:280324)   #10
asha
Veteran

yeah well something like that.
I was watching the race, thinking "WOW this is a real coming of age of de Angelis, and Checanello (sic) WOW a win and a one-two, a rider/manager couldn't ask for more!"
And then Poggiali just acts like a compleate spastic and runs into him, wrecks everything... its just wrong.
Old 8 May 2002, 15:22 (Ref:280354)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Well, that was the most impressive run I've seen from de Angelis. Is he the same fella who ran as high as third in Australia last year (but then promptly chucked it in the grass)?
Old 9 May 2002, 03:32 (Ref:280699)   #12
moto1
Racer

moto1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasn't he done this before?
I'm sure he has?
De Angelis should have let go of the bars, A terrible state of affairs.
On another crash note anyone see the Heckles crash at Sugo? He got stuffed by the bike! I just hope his luck improves.
And why hasn't Honda made Tamada, Edwards's team-mate?
Old 9 May 2002, 03:34 (Ref:280700)   #13
moto1
Racer

moto1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The same thing happened to McWilliams a few years back in the 250's his front brake hit the back of a bike and down he went! Texport leathers rule!!!
Old 9 May 2002, 14:19 (Ref:280993)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by moto1
And why hasn't Honda made Tamada, Edwards's team-mate?
Why?

Because Honda are pulling out of the WSB after this year and don't really need to have a second bike on the grid. All this adds to my theory that the WSB will be canned at seasons end. (Now I've opened up this can of worms yet again!)
Old 15 May 2002, 00:45 (Ref:286822)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you are all missing the obvious point here and that is that Podge can't have done this on purpose as he couldn't possibly have known what the outcome would be.
He had a basic idea of where Alex was and put Alex in the position of if you wanna stay in the race then roll off or hit me! Very harsh but also fair, Doohan did it all the time on the brakes into corners but I forgot he is an Aussie isn't he...
Old 15 May 2002, 01:31 (Ref:286861)   #16
asha
Veteran

i think the point is the opposite!
Podge couldn't get past Alex for the last 10 laps.
So rather then "roll off or hit me!" Podge was thinking (or rather not thinking) 'i'm going to get past or hit you' then proceeded to move across onto the racing line (which he wasn't on) and cause an accident.

Don't get me wrong I like aggressive riding, and up until that point it was a great fight, and Alex was winning!!, Which makes what podge did so stupid and unsportsman-like.
Old 15 May 2002, 07:32 (Ref:286982)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chunder
Doohan did it all the time on the brakes into corners but I forgot he is an Aussie isn't he...
Doohan did not wildly veer across into opponents. He would merely (for example) stuff the bike down the inside of a rider and block off the normal lean in point and hold his line. It was an intimidation technique: "I'm keeping/putting my bike here and if you want to keep your position (or go around me), you're going to have to do it the hard way."

Doohan never rode in the crazy manner that Poggiali did at Jerez. Having said that, I don't believe Podge meant it, and I don't believe that's his go. Let's just hope he doesn't do it again.
Old 15 May 2002, 09:36 (Ref:287042)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
After being DSQ in Jerez, expect a saner version of Podge in France. Being DSQ always hurts a rider, particularly over an incident such as that.