Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Oct 2000, 10:45 (Ref:43675)   #26
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, Liz, for bringing up Tony Kanaan. I think his is a particularly good example of a young guy determined to succeed and the teams which had the good sense to help him.

There will probably always be a few boys short on talent but long in the pocketbook who can buy their way into a drive.

Will they ever win the WDC?

Not even if they're named "Bill Gates."

Old 20 Oct 2000, 11:29 (Ref:43681)   #27
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it fixed, can a person of no talent become something in a world of cruel competition...
Perhaps some retelling of my own story can enlighten the gentle reader....
As a Canadian by birth I had some set backs in life. Little was I to know that when as a child I moved to Australia I would inherit the Earth (or a resonable 1:234567326262626262 sized copy). I had the luck to learn the local language easily and start racing Cortinas in the 60's. This led onto bigger things, like a Selby Mustang or two then my greatest claim to fame in Henry's Falcons through the 70's. I won the occassional Bathurst race (4 in total) and only lost when some twit of a TV commentator asked me how the race car was going' (when I was leading) and I replied "like a Boeing 747!" It would crash the next lap. At the time people said I had no talent what so ever. That due to the fact I was legally blind I would spend three months learning a track then blitz everybody during the race as I felt my way round. This is not true. While not being the most relaxed of people I could out drive anybody who raced a Holden and was married to a former Miss Australia any day of the year.. Except a certain day in the middle of a long weekend in October.

The upshot was due to lack of funds and vision I raced a Mazda into my retirement. The moral, I had looks, talent, a funny voice but no vision...
Old 21 Oct 2000, 10:19 (Ref:43863)   #28
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Thanks

Thanks Liz for mentioning "Diatribe". Paid $6.90
Old 21 Oct 2000, 10:41 (Ref:43864)   #29
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Apology to all

I have been sked not to be insulting to anyone on this thread. Most of you know tha I try to inject some humour into my posts, and obviously this has been interpreted in a manner that I certainly did not intend. I hav ecarefully checked my posts on this thread, and I can only see that I tried to point out that the posts were diametrically opposite to what the heading said, and I pointed this out, with a humourous tongue out smilie. I hope that no one was offended by my posts here - trulli sorry if I offended anyone. I always welcome new posters to our friendly insult and abuse free forum, and I hope all my posts will be seen in this light.
Old 21 Oct 2000, 11:52 (Ref:43871)   #30
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

In seriousness, you only come to the attention of people like me if you have talent. Whether you have money dictates how long people like me know your name. When you are talking about minute fractions of a second, does talent come into it?