Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2000, 15:13 (Ref:43608)   #1
WilliamsBMWF1
Rookie

WilliamsBMWF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With BMW Williams doing so well this year and everyone predicting more to come do you think they will suffer not having legendary engine builder Paul Rosche?People forget or underestimate the effect he had on this years engine before retiring upon its completion, with Ex Audi engine builder Dr Werner Laurenz at the head 2001;s light weighht engine.He is responsible for the Audi Super Touring engines and DTM engines (not much of a CV).
What do you guys think ?
Old 19 Oct 2000, 16:26 (Ref:43612)   #2
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... Paul Rosche is a genius, I put him up there with Duckett and Goto.

I thought Ferrari were mad when Goto went to Sauber but it did not seem to effect them that much.

Rosche was never into making the engine as small as possible.. I mean look at how badly packaged the 1987 BMW flat four turbo was. I would like to see what BMW do now.. they seem to have got power and reliability now they need to concentrate of packaging the engine, something that I think Rosche was not that hot on. In the short term I see that his departure will not have too significant effect. In the long term yes!
Old 19 Oct 2000, 19:41 (Ref:43621)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I seem to remember making a post 'way back when' suggesting that Rosche would have little to do with the '00 engine design.

As Tris points out, Rosche was known for his ability to produce the goods power-wise, only to dash it all with an overweight sprawling metropolis of an engine.

A young British designer (Whos name infuratingly escapes me right now!) was given the task of taking the Munich team in a different direction, (Under the leadership of Rosche) to create an engine that was an integral part of the chassis design, rather than to be fitted to an existing one, as was the case previously.

There was a feature in a RaceTech magazine late last year, detailing the plans, philosophies and expectations of the new BMW Williams team.

I just can't find MY edition, that's all!

I'll let you know when I find it. (No sleep for me tonight! )

Old 20 Oct 2000, 01:49 (Ref:43650)   #4
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WilliamsBMWF1

He is as sigmificant to BMW as Aurelio Lampredi is to Ferrari. But one can say that his job is done, and it's time for BMW to focus on other technical aspects.

Really looking forward to a three horses race next year. Williams will EXCEL, believe me.
Old 20 Oct 2000, 12:44 (Ref:43697)   #5
WilliamsBMWF1
Rookie

WilliamsBMWF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your insight everyone incidentally if you do find out who was suppossed to be designing the new light weight BMW . The engine designer was (from Cosworth) but left 2 months later was please tell me as it is now bugging me also.