Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Dec 2004, 04:38 (Ref:1187223)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fellow Athletes: Schumi Arrogant!

Michael Schumacher drew sharp criticism by some German athletes on Wednesday after he skipped this past weekend's German sports awards ceremony.

Schumacher, who was chosen the male sportsman of the year for the second time, sent a video to the nationally broadcast programme on Sunday instead of appearing in person.

"He disrespects all of us," said Birgit Fischer, the eight-time Olympic gold medallist in canoeing who won the women's award.

Schumacher also get sharp criticism from former German soccer captain Lothar Matthaeus, ex-boxing world champion Sven Ottke and even a state governor.

http://www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/ne...c/2004/32.html
http://www.telegraphindia.com/104122...ry_4168598.asp
Old 24 Dec 2004, 04:57 (Ref:1187227)   #2
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably had Christmas shopping to do.

Methinks, Michael isn't too bothered about awards such as this.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 06:15 (Ref:1187248)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its fair enough : Award Celebration Vs Family

At least the priority is right

I won't go as far as saying the other athletes' are jealous...but to have been shortlisted for all you've contributed, only for another sportsman snatch the award (and spotlight) from you and then not turning up to collect the award may just rub things the wrong way.

But let's face it...if MS turns up for these awards...there would be a group of people accusing MS of being in F1 just wanting records and awards, and not for the love of driving. Either way, there are people who can't stop their criticism.

I don't understand the big deal. it isn't the first time people fail to attend a ceremony and use videos as representatives...even in events far greater than this.

Last edited by Gt_R; 24 Dec 2004 at 06:17.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 08:32 (Ref:1187285)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Michael can do what he wants with respect to this. He has many many awards and dinners to go to. Possibly more than the rest of them as sponsorship is so high in F1.

At least if he went I suspect he wouldn't whinge.

Whatever, this is a non-story. I'm not the great Schumacher fan, shall we say, but this is a reason to hate.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1187343)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uhm, didn't he receive the award in Paris when he did the RoC thingy?
I think he did an interview with a reporter about that subject there too.
They even knew he wasn't going to show up, and besides, he wasn't the only one that didn't show up to collect his/her award either.

Total BS story IMO, and here I am defending TGF!
It's the world upside down, I tell you!
Old 24 Dec 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1187345)   #6
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the athletes that criticize MS for not showing up understand what an F1 driver's season looks like, mainly if that driver is also a father. The man just finished taking care of all sponsors events after an 18 race season in which he didn't get to see his family all that much and almost has to start preparing for a season that can only get worse on that level. He and his family have probably been looking forward to this well earned vacation in Norway since mid season. Actually I think the organizers and other guests of the ceremony that are so insulted for MS not showing up are arrogant because they think they are more important than his own family.

But whatever MS does, there's always someone to judge it... If he had called off his vacation to go to the award ceremony, other groups of people would have been calling him a bad father and a lousy husband.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1187417)   #7
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently he's holidaying in Norway with his family. Sounds like he made the right decision to me. Doesn't show those complaining in a good light, in my opinion.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1187444)   #8
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testure
Apparently he's holidaying in Norway with his family. Sounds like he made the right decision to me. Doesn't show those complaining in a good light, in my opinion.
Well said Testure. Olympic Gold medal champion or not, they're just a bunch of whiners.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1187451)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally, I couldn't care less. If the guy was spending quality time with his family, that's a good call as far as I'm concerned.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1187461)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael's won a lot more important prizes than some German TV popularity award. Im sorry the world's best female canoe rider was so upset.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1187469)   #11
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As Adam said, this is a non-story. I'm not a fan of his but I see this as just an excuse to criticise Michael. Can we close this post please and discuss something meaningful?
Old 24 Dec 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1187470)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Like, what the hell was Michael up to, wasting time mucking about with his family when he could have been out on the track testing something, anything, somewhere, anywhere.......
Old 24 Dec 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1187480)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
maybe a bit of jealousy creeping in?

non-story... at least he sent a video speech...
Old 24 Dec 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1187486)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why was he spending time with his family when he could've been doing cocaine and then sleeping with some bimbo? Does he call hismelf a celebrity?
Old 24 Dec 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1187490)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People who want to knock Schumacher will always find a way to do it, it seems.

I wonder if the other sportsmen really did complain, or if this was whipped up by Bild?
Old 24 Dec 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1187537)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testure
You think it was the right call to be in the pitch dark and freezing cold rather than receive an award?
Old 24 Dec 2004, 22:40 (Ref:1187676)   #17
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was he spending time with his family when he could've been getting loaded and passing out in some pub at Mallorca? Some celebrity!
Old 24 Dec 2004, 23:15 (Ref:1187688)   #18
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough hes spending time with his family, i just think its disrespectful not to turn up to receive an award personally. IMO michael is a little arrogant but hey who cares, hes one of if not the best F1 Driver so he has got reason to be
Old 25 Dec 2004, 03:42 (Ref:1187723)   #19
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure his private jet is very fast. He could have flown in just before the event, and out again right after, how many hours would that have taken? On the other hand, he's a big boy, and he can do whatever he wants, as long as it's legal.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 04:05 (Ref:1187725)   #20
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he should have sent them a video of him doing cocaine and sleeping with some bimbo.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 08:18 (Ref:1187762)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyway, IIRC.this is just the award for Germany's Sportsman of the Year. Just a month earlier..MS bagged the Sportsman of the 20th Century, ahead of a certain Birgit Fischer who is Germany's sportswoman of the year. Maybe that might explain part of Birgit's frustration and hostility.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 17:15 (Ref:1188489)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS
Fair enough hes spending time with his family, i just think its disrespectful not to turn up to receive an award personally.
Michael spends every christmas and new year in Norway with his family (and usually Jos Verstappen's too), why should he change his plans just because others have decided to honour him, after all, he didn't ask for the award

Last edited by Mr V; 27 Dec 2004 at 17:16.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1188493)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Quote MrV : "after all, he didn't ask for the award"

LOL... Damn those judges..what are they thinking of!
Old 27 Dec 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1188500)   #24
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi arrogant.

Where's the news??

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 27 Dec 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1188504)   #25
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is Schumacher obligated to show up for some nonsense award? Its not like he skipped the podium, the FIA awards gala, the Ferrari christmas party, or something relevant