Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Athletes or not?

LINK
Old 7 Mar 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1245236)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no credible argument to say racing drivers are not athletes.

It needs a huge amount of fitness.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1245349)   #3
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who has ridden a go kart for ten minutes on a twisty circut knows how physically draining it can be. Now multiply everying by 50 and you have a CC experience.

Race car drivers are not traditionally considered athletes because all the average person sees as the level of physicallity is turning the steering wheel. But we all know how rigorous the physical preparation is when it comes to racing. It's brutal!

Puttinng on the hot G suits, racing at 200 MPH, and within close proximity of each other - not to mention the 130 degree heat and enduring that for over 2 hours - no wonder the drivers lose 7 pounds per race!

Not only is auto racing physically draining, but mentally draining as well. You have to constantly know where you are on the track so you can prepare for what's ahead, and worry about the drivers around you. Yep - drivers are definitely athletes.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1245817)   #4
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from what ive read else where schummacer one of the best natural athlets in the world i think cycling had the best results
Old 7 Mar 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1245859)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Jody Scheckter won ABC Television's "Superstar" competition in 1978 or '79. Not sure of the year, but he beat all of the other athletes (baseball, American Football etc) fair and square.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1246151)   #6
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to convince people most of the time just how serious of a sport motor racing can be.

Not only does it require huge amounts of fitness as K-B pointed out but also alot of courage and determination to drive a racecar more than most other sports require in my biased opinion.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1246376)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great article Dov , thanks for the link , just proves everything I have been saying for 15 years
Old 8 Mar 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1246604)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amar really took the words out of my mouth there. People who've tried it at any level should never regard it as easy. 90 minutes of racing is surely tougher on the body than 90 minutes of soccer or basketball, considering the speeds, G-Forces and low margins for error.

On the other hand (and not directly ChampCar-related), most of the teenage drivers who get a sponroship-driven F1 test come out of the car sayng its easy, often comparing it to a videogame. This really isn't right, and to me says a lot for how the excessive driver aids are scuppering that series as a test of driving skill.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1246687)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For sheer fitness I don't think many athletes in other sports can match Michael Schumacher, although (if the stories are true) I don't think Montoya would be fit enough to compete at the top in some other sports. As Tram alludes to, more physical forms of racing such as ChampCars and DTM (bigger and heavier cars with less driving aids) are probably even tougher to drive than F1 cars.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1246868)   #10
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're all athletes
Old 8 Mar 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1247216)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelshman
We're all athletes
Trust me, i'm no athlete!
Old 9 Mar 2005, 06:47 (Ref:1247392)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
On the other hand (and not directly ChampCar-related), most of the teenage drivers who get a sponroship-driven F1 test come out of the car sayng its easy, often comparing it to a videogame. This really isn't right, and to me says a lot for how the excessive driver aids are scuppering that series as a test of driving skill.

They say it's easy after driving it for a few laps and a second or more away from the ultimate pace.

Driving it consistently on the limit lap after lap after lap is not easy.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1247663)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm aware of that distinction KB, but you have to admit that it's still a frightening state of affairs, especially as you can often be 1 second a lap off the car's ultiamte pace and still score points (occasionally even a podium if you're in a Ferrari).

Maybe Paul Stoddard should get some of these journalists a ride in his 2-seater Minardis? Could be great publicity for the team, and would certainly adjust their perspective