Old 22 Oct 2003, 16:50 (Ref:759756)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Renna crashes in Indianapolis

Fellows,

Tony Renna has just suffered an accident at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on his first test as a Ganassi Racing driver.

According to witnesses, the crash was "serious". Let's hope Renna is fine.

More information soon.

Muzza
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:15 (Ref:759765)   #2
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This from espn.com:

Renna taken to hospital
ESPN.com news services

INDIANAPOLIS -- Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver Tony Renna was involved in a serious car crash during a private test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Wednesday morning, reports ESPN's Marlo Klain.

Renna, who recently joined the Ganassi as newly crowned IRL champion Scott Dixon's teammate, has been taken to Methodist Hospital.

Renna, 26, is a native of DeLand, Fla. He made one IndyCar start this season, finishing seventh in the Indy 500. Renna made six starts last season, finishing a season-best fourth at Michigan.

Sorry it doesn't give any more detials. Fingers crossed he's ok and it's just a precautionary check. It's not been a good few days for the IRL with Kenny and Al Jr, and now Tony getting hurt.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:15 (Ref:759766)   #3
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AutoRacing1.com says they have heard reports that Renna has been killed. I hope it's not true.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:19 (Ref:759770)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:22 (Ref:759771)   #5
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radio station WiBC in Indiana is definite about it:

TOP NEWS:
Report: IRL Driver Tony Renna Killed in Indianapolis Motor Speedway Testing Session
In a crash this morning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IRL driver Tony Renna, 26, was killed after the car he was testing for Chip Gannasi hit the wall and flipped into the fence. He was transported to Methodist Hospital, and two sources confirmed with WIBC Sports Director Vince Welch that Renna died. The Florida-born driver, who had been living in Las Vegas, had recently signed with the team. He had six IRL starts in 2003 with Kelley Racing. He was testing teammate Scott Dixon's car when the accident occurred. In this year's Indianapolis 500, Renna finished 7th.

Very sad news indeed.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:22 (Ref:759772)   #6
mcurtis26
Veteran

Bad news guys. This from wibc.com:

Report: IRL Driver Tony Renna Killed in Indianapolis Motor Speedway Testing Session
In a crash this morning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IRL driver Tony Renna, 26, was killed after the car he was testing for Chip Gannasi hit the wall and flipped into the fence. He was transported to Methodist Hospital, and two sources confirmed with WIBC Sports Director Vince Welch that Renna died.

A terrible year has just got worse. My thoughts are with his family.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:27 (Ref:759775)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=09396389
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:45 (Ref:759800)   #8
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:08 (Ref:759824)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I cannot belive this. I'm in shock.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:17 (Ref:759836)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Very sad - the initial reports mentioned a violent crash, but I could not imagine such an outcome. I am so terribly sad.

Renna's performance had much improved along the years, and his contract with Ganassi Racing would be his first opportunity with to race with top equipment. When his name was announced for the much-coveted seat at Ganassi, replacing Scheckter, people from many different teams - as well as fellow drivers - were genuinely happy for him.

I recall is very good showing at this year's Indy 500, when he finished 7th - I was seated close to his pit, and one could see that how happy they were at the end of the race, achieving so much with such a small budget.

I also understand that Tony was scheduled to get married next month.

Paying motorsports' ultimate price under these circumstances - when his professional and personal life were just about to experience a major upturn - makes this tragedy even more bitter.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:18 (Ref:759840)   #11
mcurtis26
Veteran

Autosport.com is now reporting that Tony is alive, but seriously injured.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:19 (Ref:759842)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
By Robin Miller...
http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/1022/1644023.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- Race driver Tony Renna, taking his first laps with his new team at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during a tire test, was fatally injured Wednesday morning, a Target Chip Ganassi Racing spokesman confirmed.

Renna, who would have turned 27 years old next month, was going into Turn 3 when his car jumped sideways and became airborne. According to witnesses, the car cleared the four-foot concrete wall and smashed into the catch fence - breaking in half in the cockpit area.

The Indy Racing League medical team reacted instantly and tried to revive Renna but could never establish a heartbeat.

Renna, scheduled to be married next month, had only been on the track for five laps when the accident took place shortly before 9:30 a.m. It was the same car driven 228 mph the day before by 2003 IRL champ Scott Dixon.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:22 (Ref:759847)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Yeah, the other reports that don't specify his condition are AP wire, with only IMS spokespeople consulted. Sadly, I think Robin has the full story.

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:22 (Ref:759848)   #14
mcurtis26
Veteran

Sorry guys if I got anyone's hopes up there. I've just read the espn article myself. Truly dreadful news which the IRL really did not need at the end of what has been a difficult season. What makes it worse is that Tony was just getting the break his talent deserved.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:25 (Ref:759852)   #15
mcurtis26
Veteran

The official IRL website (indyracing.com) is confirming the terrible news now.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:25 (Ref:759853)   #16
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Thanks for posting that, Macdaddy - it confirms the ironic, terrible fact that Renna was to get married in late November.

I am perplexed and overcome by powerlessness.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:27 (Ref:759855)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As am I, Muzza. This is just so unfair.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:54 (Ref:759884)   #18
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
this is awful....my heart oes out to him and his family
Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:02 (Ref:759889)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Tony George has released this statement -

"Tony Renna was a rising star in IndyCar Series racing. All of us involved in racing feel a great loss. On behalf of my family and the staff of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indy Racing League, our prayers and best wishes go out to his family, friends, team and fans."

A feeling shared by us all, Mr George.

Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:04 (Ref:759891)   #20
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
terrible news... my thoughts are with the family and everyone involved with him... So young a racer, about to get his big break, how can that be fair...
Ed
Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:25 (Ref:759907)   #21
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just terrible, there is such a violent, ugly side to the sport we all love. From the Indianapolis star http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-9855-092.html
Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:26 (Ref:759909)   #22
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just heard the news on local sports talk radio. This is the worst part of being a racing fan.

Condolences out to his family and the team.
Never forget #99
Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:42 (Ref:759918)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Awful, just awful. And, for some bizarre reason, for it to have happened in a test session (like Alboreto) somehow makes it all the worse. RIP
Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:43 (Ref:759919)   #24
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
r.i.p. tony

This rest of this post is in no way appropriate to the thread. - DF

Last edited by Down F0rce; 22 Oct 2003 at 19:56.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 19:45 (Ref:759922)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a terrible thing to have happened. Tony was set for such a great seaosn, and Ganassi's gone from the joy of winnign teh title with Scott, to the ultiamte low. I don't like Chip greatly, but I've got every sympathy for him now.

Let's hope no one over-reacts about the implications of the current run of crashes. The IRL has had a bad run similar ot F1's in early 1994. We dont' deserve for the sport to be beaten, or have a multitude of rule changes brought in. Improvements to the tracks probably are neccessary, but there's no need to slow teh cars down.

Above all, deepest sympathies to Tony's family and friends.