Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Mar 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1877868)   #26
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Milka Duno

As someone said 'Milkamania'. This one is going to be milked for all it is worth. Trouble is I don't think there is much cream to rise to the top.
She does have to pass an IRL rookie test yet.
I expect she will as TG wants another female driver, she brings a sponsored car and will help find 33 cars for 'The greatest farce in motor racing'.
(That should cause an explosion!)
Sorry: I am in a s--t disturber mood today.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1877872)   #27
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Anyone disturbed yet?

How about now? [I believe he's exagerting some, she was entered in the professional catagory in 2003 and was beaten by a both celeb (who are given an advantage) and professional drivers whom I've never heard of]

I remember watching Grand Am races where the Citgo car pits much earlier than everyone else to do a driver swap. Then Andy Wallace would go out and race back to erase the deficit. It appears that some of that is still happening. It must be a hard thing to deal with for the team and other driver(s). Basically being on the Citgo team means that you are handicaped in the championship. You lose time due to a slow teammate and you lose time due to early pit stops.
Not much different than a lot of teams in GARRA these days (there's a bimodal distribution in quali where the 2-pro teams all qualify up front, and then the mixed teams all have their gentlemen qualify and sit in the back) but certainly true. The really sad thing is that Milka manages to be worse than almost any of the gentlemen in that series. Think about that. I'm beginning to think that it's irresponsible to allow her into an IRL car in the first place. I'm not worried about her hurting herself, I'm worried about who she might take with her.

EDIT: I don't like Miller's idea of somehow blaming Peter Baron for this. Maybe it's because I like Peter, but he's running a business. If someone wants you to run their car, and it makes you money, it's not up to you to determine whether they're fit for it. That should be the sanctioning body's job. But if IRL allows her to race, it may not be doing its job right.

Last edited by cmk; 27 Mar 2007 at 18:41.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1877899)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Not much different than a lot of teams in GARRA these days (there's a bimodal distribution in quali where the 2-pro teams all qualify up front, and then the mixed teams all have their gentlemen qualify and sit in the back) but certainly true. The really sad thing is that Milka manages to be worse than almost any of the gentlemen in that series. Think about that. I'm beginning to think that it's irresponsible to allow her into an IRL car in the first place. I'm not worried about her hurting herself, I'm worried about who she might take with her.
Exactly. On top of that it seems pretty wild to allow anyone in a irl car that has no oval experience what so ever.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1877913)   #29
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well it comes down to she has pro driving experience and $$$$$$ lots of money.
I raced with her in Skip barber years back, she is alright, nice enough gal, but simply megabucks. the first day we went out, she was the only one with telemetry and a personal Skippy coach.
crazy money
Old 29 Mar 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1879408)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting input here...

I soft-pedaled my view in a recent article on www.lastturnclub.com

I'll wait and see until her test, but I have concerns.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Mar 2007, 01:38 (Ref:1879608)   #31
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well I think the car looks great anyway
Old 30 Mar 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1879861)   #32
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very disturbing words from Miller there. Obviously he's paid to be controversial but at the same time one can't help but be a little concerned. All could be very easily solved by a season of IPS first but that's wishful thinking clearly.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1882810)   #33
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
gttouring that's kinda neat. Did you beat her?
Old 4 Apr 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1883412)   #34
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Milka Duno should be in a much lower class of formula cars. She has neither the credentials nor talent to run any kind of major open wheel series. 2/3rds the drivers in the IPS are better than her but it will give someone for Marty Roth to race.
I noticed a t-shirt in the paddock at st.Pete that said " I got lapped by Marty Roth and liked it.........signed Marco Andretti. the Foyt team was wearing them first and everyone had a good laugh about them.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 06:26 (Ref:1901430)   #35
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Milka Duno has now completed her rookie test and will be allowed to enter the race at Kansas.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1901447)   #36
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
21 entries for an ordinary IRL race, not bad at all
Old 27 Apr 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1901566)   #37
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am with Team Owner on this one. I am always glad to see another car on the grid but I would be even more glad if there were a more competent driver in the seat.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1901629)   #38
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're basically right, John, but can you find me a backmarker-free series in the world?

Should we eliminate them all, virtually no series would fine the minimum number to work, I fear.

BTW, one of the points that made Indy500 the legendary race we know, has always been the presence of quasi-amateur drivers, often driving a self made cars, alongside the superstars.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1901751)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it's fine until these amateurs become a danger to others.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1901761)   #40
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well it's fine until these amateurs become a danger to others.
+1 At these speeds, the consequences are pretty high.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 17:00 (Ref:1901767)   #41
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid, very afraid. There are several less than compentent drivers at Kansas.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1901880)   #42
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kansas is fortunately, the easiest track on the circuit.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1901902)   #43
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Milka Duno has now completed her rookie test and will be allowed to enter the race at Kansas.
English translation... the cheque cleared.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1901925)   #44
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
I'm afraid, very afraid. There are several less than compentent drivers at Kansas.

like who??

i think I know who you are meaning

we havent seen Milka race, Roth is a decent driver he just has a poor car and Barron is a very acomplished racer but also has a slow car

but Roth and Barron are both compentent drivers

so, where are these several less then compentent drivers???
Old 27 Apr 2007, 22:27 (Ref:1901933)   #45
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21

we havent seen Milka race,

so, where are these several less then compentent drivers???
Many of us have seen Milka race. She wasn't worthy of being in a Daytona Prototype, or LMP 675 either. Maybe a lower level Touring Car race or something of that level. This is a scary moment.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 00:24 (Ref:1901984)   #46
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that the backmarkers will always be with us: Pat Bedard, Howdy Holmes (who did have his moments, by the way), Geoff Boss, that nice dentist fellow (can't remember his name off the bat) etc. On the bright side, Ed Carpenter has actually gotten better so hope springs eternal!

It is just with some of the folks that are on the sidelines it seems a shame that someone as minimally-skilled as Milka has a ride
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 00:50 (Ref:1901991)   #47
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I agree that the backmarkers will always be with us: Howdy Holmes (who did have his moments, by the way)
I'm not sure Howdy Holmes belongs in this category. Rookie of the year in 500 in 79', a year after being Formula Atlantic champion, qualified 2nd at Indy in 84'. Top finish was a 2nd at Phoenix, against what was decent competition.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 00:56 (Ref:1901995)   #48
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well, in retrospect Fogel I was probably typing faster than I was thinking. Howdy was much more handy in tin tops though. I agree that I owe him an apology and strike him from my list!
Old 28 Apr 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1902237)   #49
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The dentist was Dr. Jack Miller.

An interesting story about his IRL effort:

The good doctor was sponsored by Crest toothpaste.

The story I've heard is that instead of money, Crest gave him a bulk amount of their product for the sponsorship, and to convert that into cash to fund his team, he sold it via the black market in Russia...

That was the story that was circulating in Indy anyway...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Apr 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1903051)   #50
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
She did a good job today. Looks like she has a strong crew behind her as well.

Did a helluva a lot better than the wunderkind Marco, who has a whole season of experience and still can't understand how to setup a car on an oval.