Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 13 Jun 2007, 01:09 (Ref:1935596)   #101
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The similarity is that some things work out and some things don't.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1936045)   #102
Tigro
Rookie

Tigro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Wheldon but can't stand Patrick. That race incident wouldn't even been highlighted if Patrcik wasn't involved...
"She's obviously got a lot of pressure on her. Her teammates are winning races and she's not" I think it pretty sums it up.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 02:13 (Ref:1936499)   #103
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, Marco is having a great year...

It may just be me, but it seems things have become a bit polarized...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 14:28 (Ref:1936862)   #104
sunoco
Rookie

sunoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marco seems to only be good at roadies and Indianapolis.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1937045)   #105
Ace Daddy
Rookie

United States
Tucson Arizona
Ace Daddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
i just read her interview in this month's Playboy and she sounds so arrogant there. She talks about how she had to leave British Formula Ford because she wasn't treated well enough and the best equipment wasn't given to her. Blah Blah she complains about everything and wants it handed to her on a silver platter.
Exactly! Male or female, your not going to win many supporters or garner much respect with kind of attitude. I hate all the media hype made over her, and she basically is the only draw the series has. It's a damn shame. She needs to put up, or shut up!
Old 14 Jun 2007, 23:09 (Ref:1937337)   #106
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
She is hardly doing a terrible job on-track...
Old 15 Jun 2007, 04:31 (Ref:1937432)   #107
Ace Daddy
Rookie

United States
Tucson Arizona
No she's not doing terrible, but she's not doing anything spectacular either. Especially to recive the attention that she does. The same thing goes for Earnhart Jr. Only reason he gets as much paly as he does is beacuse of his name.

Im not taking anything away from them as drivers, but it's just disgusting the way the media works. More so the fact that the IRL is grasping at straws trying to use her to market their product anyway possible.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 05:37 (Ref:1937455)   #108
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
OTOH, she does, imo, take a lot more grief from us lot over her "lack of performance" than other drivers with a similar performance would/do.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 06:22 (Ref:1937465)   #109
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ace, you say the IRL is doing it? Baloney. SHE did it, by leading and almost winning the 2005 Indianapolis 500 (and, to a lesser extent, some poles and good finishes).

Danica-mania took off for her, Rahal-Letterman Racing, now AGR and the IRL from that, all at the same time.

Do you think the IRL is sending her to the media and potential sponsors? Baloney. The media and sponsors are calling HER (and the IRL and AGR ABOUT her).

Big difference and hardly the IRL "grasping at sraws."
Old 15 Jun 2007, 17:51 (Ref:1937852)   #110
Ace Daddy
Rookie

United States
Tucson Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Ace, you say the IRL is doing it? Baloney. SHE did it, by leading and almost winning the 2005 Indianapolis 500 (and, to a lesser extent, some poles and good finishes).

Danica-mania took off for her, Rahal-Letterman Racing, now AGR and the IRL from that, all at the same time.

Do you think the IRL is sending her to the media and potential sponsors? Baloney. The media and sponsors are calling HER (and the IRL and AGR ABOUT her).

Big difference and hardly the IRL "grasping at sraws."
Name me one driver in that series who has not won a race and gets as much press as she does? Exactly, so you are willing to let your series be promoted by someone who has not won a race and is not nearly as successful as most of the drivers in your series. That's crap! Ask any non fan who Sam Hornish, Tony Kanan, or Heilo Castroneves is. Chances are they won't know, but I bet they will know who Danica is.

That is what's sickening. It's not her fault, and hey if I was in her shoes I would use it to my advantage too. But the IRL doesn't really do anything to stop it. They encourage it because it gives the series' press, but for all the wrong reasons in my opinion. What big draw or major attention does the IRL get? Nothing besides her. That was my point for the "grasping at straws comment."
Old 15 Jun 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1937860)   #111
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any publicity is good publicity is a mantra of PR.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1937975)   #112
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
Any publicity is good publicity is a mantra of PR.
Not when you start losing respect from the punters
Old 16 Jun 2007, 10:54 (Ref:1938254)   #113
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is getting funny! So, Danica should hide or something since she has not won a race? Something finally happens that brings PR TO open-wheel racing and now y'all are critical because I guess you want some other kind of PR.

Geez!

Well if winning is a requirement for popularity, then I am going to nip over to the F1 forum and tell folks there who love Jean Alesi that since he only won once, they should no longer like him. Or Nick Heidfeld. In NASCAR, Michael Waltrip is very popular despite a small # of wins.

My point here is that there is no accounting for what might grab the attention of the "casual" fan. To those who are "in" to open wheel then you will have your preferences based on your knowledge of the sport. Fair enough. But remember, before you start bad-mouthing Driver X because their popularity has not been deemed worthy by you, it is exactly that popularity which is bringing attention (and therefore sponsors) to the sport.

Like who you want. Appreciate the fact that the positives outweigh the negatives here.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 14:30 (Ref:1939948)   #114
Rick Mears fan
Rookie

United States
USA
Rick Mears fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
o-kay lets get some things straight.

She has put in some good performances in the IRL. She has driven very well a few times.

BUT her attitude is incredibly arrogant. Sure there have been other whiners Michael Andretti a prime example but he was a winner and an all time great in Indy style racing.

Danica how ever is not. In her other series she has been in she hasn't had success and just whined that she wasn't given good enough equipment. Especially in British Formula Ford 2000 or whatever series it was is quite laughable when she said that and further takes away even more respect.

As pointed out a lot of times in this thread, she believes everything should be handed out to her on a silver plate. She believes her hype. She is probably the best female open wheel racer in America but in terms of talent compared with her male counterparts, she is just another driver who is over hyped and not winning in a championship winning team.

Dario and Kanaan are always at the front. She isn't. I am not forgetting Marco who is doing poor at the tracks that are not Indianapolis or not a non oval. I am sure the way things are currently going with his current tests in Formula 1 he will be in Formula 1 in 2008 or 2009.

But this about Danica. She is being marketed well but also not well. I have seen a photo of her that I still have for arguments sake of her without make-up and she looks very unattractive. With make up she looks quite pretty. But this is the type of hype and way over baloney marketing that makes me sick how the IRL is marketing her everywhere. Especially in cheap thrills magazines such as Playboy and FHM.

But at the end of the day currently there is noting setting the world a lite with the IRL, in terms of news and coverge the IRL is nothing in America, they have to do something. Danica is as well known as most NASCAR drivers. Trouble is, no one is still tuning in.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 11:51 (Ref:1940722)   #115
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mears fan
I have seen a photo of her that I still have for arguments sake of her without make-up and she looks very unattractive.
No sherlock That image has now put me off my dinner.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1940787)   #116
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only people getting upset or turned off by the publicity that Danica is getting are those of us who are involved motorsport fans. Ie, those who get into it enough to participate in forums. The general public lap it up.
The Toronto Sun, Sunday edition, had a column by the Sun's motorsport writer on Danica's feuds. Sure, the real fans read it but so does anyone who has a casual interest in motorsport. The majority of his columns, especially the Sunday ones are on NAPCAR so Danica's fueds and temper tantrums are getting publicity that Joe Blow laps up.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1940927)   #117
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mears fan
With her huge weight advantage over a single lap.
I don't know about IndyCars, but the minimum weight in a lot of series includes the driver
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1941077)   #118
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I don't know about IndyCars, but the minimum weight in a lot of series includes the driver
not in the irl.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1941084)   #119
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Which is not something you can give her a hard time over. It is not exactly her fault.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 01:23 (Ref:1941247)   #120
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Yeah, we have covered the weight ground already. But I am fascinated about what having makeup on has to do with her marketability? Have you ever seen Dan Wheldon without his makeup on? Geez, I remember Gordon Johncock wouldn't leave the house until he was just so. Why? Because all of you expert racing fans out there make your decisions based on what is superficial, not what the person is actually doing on the track. I remember the headlines: "Johncock Applies Too Much Mascara, Loses Pole at Indy!" What a horrible year that was! Rick Mears tried to wear something off-the-shoulder at the annual awards banquet and almost lost his ride with Penske...

Then of course we now have to make the driver's weight an issue. Well, even if you have a minimum weight requirement, all you physics fans out there should be well aware that the less the driver weighs, the better you can favorably ballast your car to achieve optimum handling. Further, F1 likes 'em short (Alex Wurz lost his race ride because of this, I have heard) as tall drivers have their stupid heads sticking up into the airbox impeding airflow.

So before the usual suspects come blundering back into this thread telling us that Danica's weight is a big advantage (while failing to explain how Sam "Tubby" Hornish could ever win one at a positively obese 160 lbs), lets try to keep in mind that minimum weights do not really solve the problem nor does 20 lbs (difference between DP and CDM, for example) make a huge difference in power-to-weight ratios. I mean think about it: How could PT or Michael Andretti EVER have won a race? both of them were closer to 180 lbs during their prime years...yet somehow they managed to win...

Like Robby Gordon, Danica is good looking and can drive. I suspect some of you lot are neither good-looking nor as capable behind the wheel as you want to think you are. Being slow, ugly and proud of it allows me the freedom to make rational assertions based on logic rather than my own unfulfilled aspirations/fantasies.
Old 23 Jun 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1945161)   #121
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will confess to not being one of the IRL's strongest follower (the fact that I can't see the races might have a part in that), but I was honestly astonished when I found out that she hadn't won a race.

Not one race win in her whole career.

How can she possibly deserve a seat at Andretti? Her best performance seems to be that 2nd place finish in the Formula Ford Festival - but then, would you give Robin Rudholm (who finished 3rd) an IRL ride on this merit?
Old 24 Jun 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1945342)   #122
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson

How can she possibly deserve a seat at Andretti? Her best performance seems to be that 2nd place finish in the Formula Ford Festival - but then, would you give Robin Rudholm (who finished 3rd) an IRL ride on this merit?
Just a guess here, it could be something to do with the amount of publicity she draws in. What do you think that worth to AGR and the sponsors???
Old 29 Jun 2007, 03:24 (Ref:1949381)   #123
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its funny how Danica is quick to blame others but slow in accepting responsibility.....

she has no talent
Old 29 Jun 2007, 04:59 (Ref:1949401)   #124
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
It is not fair to say she has no talent.

That is simply not true.