Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 4 Jul 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2917830)   #1
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lack of Food and Drink at Donington

Enjoyed the 750MC at Donington yesterday. Mostly good racing with meeting kept going in typical 750MC style. Very good but....... where were the burger and chips, donuts, ice cream vans etc.?

Back in the day (1970s as you ask!) I used to go to race meetings with sandwiches and flask in a rucksack. Got out of the habit of doing that - might have to get back into it. Thank goodness the paddock cafe and kiosk next to it were open but they looked to me to be the only places for food and drink. Has the circuit upset the local vendors or something?

Scott
Old 5 Jul 2011, 04:21 (Ref:2918302)   #2
dusty
Rookie

dusty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect that it is a chicken and egg problem! The crowds for these events are so small that it is seldom worth a food vendors while to pay a fee to get a van there. If there was a bigger crowd there might be other stalls too,but very sadly (IMO) the clubs and circuits regard spectators at a "clubbie" as something to be tolerated! It is such a pity that so many people will spend a months wages to watch an empty track for 80% of the day, then cheer as a proccesion of multi-millionaires follow each other around for 90 minutes! A good clubbie is far better value for money!
Old 5 Jul 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2918455)   #3
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. I haven't been to a GP for about 15 years and only go to a BTCC round occasionally. I think it caught me out because Mallory is my local circuit and there are always burger and chips, donuts, ice cream and bars open in addition to the circuit cafe even at a clubbie. How much longer that can continue I don't know as I don't think they do a roaring trade. A couple of years ago when we raced at Silverstone at a BRSCC meeting (I was mechanic, my brother driving) not even the paddock cafe was open! Ho hum. I must say though that the crowd at Donington on Sunday was very small. When I wandered out to McLeans and Coppice the marshals outnumbered the crowd even though they were very lightly manned.

Scott