Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3445361)   #1
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch by Public Transport?

Hello,

I'm intending to visit Brands Hatch for the Supercar Challenge event next month, since I have a passion for eclectic GT machinery. However, I have been informed that there is no chance of a lift from anyone in my family, so it seems like public transport is my best shot now.

I'm coming from the Isle of Wight, and I'll be travelling from Portsmouth. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3445391)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nearest station is Swanley-4 miles-you might be able to get a taxi from there-I last went for A1GP in 2005-seem to remember problem getting home!
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:19 (Ref:3445392)   #3
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The nearest station is Eynsford. You can walk from there to Brands in about an hour.

Alternatively you could go to Swanley and get a bus or taxi. No bus service on Sunday's though (as far as I'm aware).

If you were coming on Sunday, it looks like you'd have to get the 6.53 train from Portsmouth, which changes twice (Clapham Junction and Denmark Hill) and arrives in Eynsford (or Swanley) at 10.

Obviously it would be easiest to travel early Saturday and stay somewhere for the weekend.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3445396)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All I can say is it's nearer than Snetterton!
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3445401)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's definitely a taxi rank outside swanley station, and most trains stop there iirc. unless you're a good hill walker i wouldn't attempt to walk to brands from there!
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3445408)   #6
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
there's definitely a taxi rank outside swanley station, and most trains stop there iirc. unless you're a good hill walker i wouldn't attempt to walk to brands from there!
Never tried the walk from Swanley myself.

Walk from Eynsford is hilly too, but it can be done. Not ideal of course, but good exercise.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3445424)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you only need to drive up it to see it's not one to walk
Old 19 Aug 2014, 15:20 (Ref:3445432)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Which day are you going?
Old 19 Aug 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3445442)   #9
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
walking distance wise, there's not a lot of difference from the following stations
Eynsford
Farningham Road
or Longfield.

Longfield's advantage is it's a flat road - albeit murderous if you are on foot. Might also be better for a taxi than Eynsford - but then again I've never arrived there at 9am on a Sunday
Old 19 Aug 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3445450)   #10
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Which day are you going?
I'll be doing Sunday, as it stands.

Garcon - Right you are!

Old 20 Aug 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3445756)   #11
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam, I'll be attending. If you get yourself to whatever station you need to I could pick you up from there if you wish. Swanley would be the best I'd have thought.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3445831)   #12
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
Adam, I'll be attending. If you get yourself to whatever station you need to I could pick you up from there if you wish. Swanley would be the best I'd have thought.
Okay, sounds good to me.

I just need to finalise everything, and I shall let you know if I am indeed going. Seems unlikely that I won't be, but obviously I'd want to be certain.

Old 21 Aug 2014, 01:53 (Ref:3445867)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have you tried setting up the journey in Google Maps to see what sort of innovative solutions it might come up with?

Probably nothing more than you already have ... but you never know.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 05:38 (Ref:3445899)   #14
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
Stuart,
As you live in Kent, I could save you a journey.
I'll be marshalling on the Sunday and live in North London, so drive through London on my way.
Adam, will you be travelling from Portsmouth on Sunday? If so, presume you will be arriving at Waterloo, which is easy for me to pick you up from.
Try and get there early as poss as I will have to sign on by 8.30, but we can have a full breakfast when we get there!
I can also take you back to Waterloo.

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited by White flag man; 21 Aug 2014 at 05:43.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 06:01 (Ref:3445901)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
There you go Adam you're spoilt for choice with three offers now.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3445923)   #16
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Stuart,
As you live in Kent, I could save you a journey.
I'll be marshalling on the Sunday and live in North London, so drive through London on my way.
Adam, will you be travelling from Portsmouth on Sunday? If so, presume you will be arriving at Waterloo, which is easy for me to pick you up from.
Try and get there early as poss as I will have to sign on by 8.30, but we can have a full breakfast when we get there!
I can also take you back to Waterloo.

Regards,
Nick.
That sounds a better idea for Adam And a breakfast to boot.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3446010)   #17
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took the train from Canterbury East to Swanley, and took a texi from there to BH. It's about 15 pounds for the texi I believe. If you depart from London, the train I'm talking about leaves from Victoria through Rochester and blah blah to Canterbury East.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3451077)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
A word of warning for Adam and White flag man, the Tour Of Britain comes to London next Sunday with road closure in the are of Waterloo, IE. the bridge. Although I don't the route goes south of the rive I expect it'll be busy form early to late in the afternoon evening plus the trains will be busy.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 02:44 (Ref:3451700)   #19
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
A word of warning for Adam and White flag man, the Tour Of Britain comes to London next Sunday with road closure in the are of Waterloo, IE. the bridge. Although I don't the route goes south of the rive I expect it'll be busy form early to late in the afternoon evening plus the trains will be busy.
Haven't heard from Adam, but thanks for the warning.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3451982)   #20
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to anyone.

Unfortunately, any chance of making up to Brands has, in typical fashion, vanished last minute.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, and I hope to see you all at the race during 2015!