Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2907851)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Is it difficult getting to Silverstone by train?

Hi all,

Looks like I may be going to the British GP on my lonesome as my friends are all skint - plus I won free hire of a Kangeroo TV for any 2011 GP! So it'd be a shame not to use that...

Problem being I don't drive. What's it like getting a train there?

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2907860)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

Problem being I don't drive. What's it like getting a train there?

Selby
Found this: http://www.directrail.com/trains_to_...rts_venue.html
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2907863)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Wolverton! Awesome - thanks mate. I'll now need to find out how much a cab would be roughly... Google Maps here we come!

Anyone else going out of interest?

I'll be the small unkept guy, with a small tent, and a small fire And Kangeroo TV! hahaaa

Selby
--
EDIT - 9 miles from the train station to Silverstone! That won't be too bad cab fare wise...
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2907865)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Anyone else going out of interest?
I would have been going with some mates, but currently out of action because I have recently been struck down with Guillain Barre Syndrome. Bugger!

Quote:
EDIT - 9 miles from the train station to Silverstone! That won't be too bad cab fare wise...
You could walk it from there!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2907867)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Had to read up what that is - Jesus!

You alright?

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2907868)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Had to read up what that is - Jesus!

You alright?

Selby
Yes. Fortunately it hasn't got to the serious stage.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2907869)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I'm glad to hear that. I've never heard of it before - sounds bloody terrible!

And that's gutting that you're missing the GP because of it

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2907870)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I have to agree that the timing couldn't have been much worse.

Luckily (although some would say otherwise) I can still type.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2907872)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
don't go to wolverton. the silverstone website says that stagecoach will be running a grand prix special service from northampton.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/popup/e...tingthere2011/

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/service...s.aspx?Id=2975
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2907875)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ahhh so Northampton may be the place to be..!

Thank you!

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2907884)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it definitely will be, it's something they run every year. strikes me as being a bit expensive, but if it does the job reliably and safely then it seems like a decent option. it's certainly cheaper and more convenient than trying to get a cab!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2907886)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ahhhh knowing me though, i'll end up getting impatient and throwing money at the situation!! I do have a terrible, terrible tendancy to do so...

Example - I finish work at 3.40, my mate finishes at 4.30. I'd much rather get a taxi every time, than wait an extra 45/50 min for him

Selby
--
3,000th post! Confessing to my money-throwing ways... Fantastic!

Last edited by ECW Dan Selby; 29 Jun 2011 at 11:30.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2907898)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi Dan. I'll be going and doing 3 days of camping. Maybe we should meet up at some point.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2907899)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Ahhhh knowing me though, i'll end up getting impatient and throwing money at the situation!! I do have a terrible, terrible tendancy to do so...

Example - I finish work at 3.40, my mate finishes at 4.30. I'd much rather get a taxi every time, than wait an extra 45/50 min for him

Selby
get a driving licence. as soon as you do that, start hiring cars and discovering motorsport all weekend, every weekend you'll have a lot less to throw at anything
Old 29 Jun 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2907903)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Hi Dan. I'll be going and doing 3 days of camping. Maybe we should meet up at some point.
Sounds good mate! I'll keep you posted via this thread as to what's going on. I probably wouldn't go all 3 days, probably just leave Sat morning!

I'm trying to buy a ticket off eBay. If that goes through, i'm in.

You going on your own or with friends dude?

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2908063)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Also, anyone know of any nearby hotels that are somewhat reasonable..?

Massive thanks in advance,

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2908071)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Selby
Don't tell me that you can't find your tent?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2908135)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I would have been going with some mates, but currently out of action because I have recently been struck down with Guillain Barre Syndrome. Bugger!
Get well soon.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2908157)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Get well soon.
Thanks.

It's a real pain (actually, the pins and needles are worse). Spent a week in hospital, and now I have to wait for an indeterminate period to get fully mobile again (currently I'm shuffling around like an old man). Frustrating doesn't cover it!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2908224)   #20
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can anyone tell me how long the park and ride journey takes please? Taking into account traffic.

I'm just wondering what time to get to Sixfields stadium for to ensure I get there before the first race.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 30 Jun 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2908331)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I am very sorry to hear that Scott and I wish you all the best...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2908335)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I am very sorry to hear that Scott and I wish you all the best...
Cheers mate! Looks like you got your race then.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2908339)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Cheers mate! Looks like you got your race then.

Yes sir, I do hope it works for everyone's sake..The last thing I would wish to see is Austin, or anyone really taking a bashing it's a car race after all...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 02:08 (Ref:2908354)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:

Selby
no, at this stage it's highly unlikely. try the windmill campsite next. to the marshals site behind copse, which is a 5 minute walk from the gates, or the ever popular litchlake if you prefer bells and whistles and a lot of noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
can anyone tell me how long the park and ride journey takes please? Taking into account traffic.

I'm just wondering what time to get to Sixfields stadium for to ensure I get there before the first race.
traffic isn't much of a problem any more, however you may find the queues for park and ride are! you might want to aim for 7am and see how it goes. that gives you an hour to get on a bus and an hour to get there and to your seat. thay should cover all eventualities. i haven't used the park and ride service myself but i have driven in on a sunday morning and found traffic for the wsr races worse...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2908414)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ahhhhhhhh I was bloody outbid at the last minute!!!

I messaged the fella saying i'd happilly buy the ticket outright but he said i'd be fine just bidding instead. Yeah, right!

I'll have to keep searching...

Selby