Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 May 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3734235)   #1
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1996 F3000 race at Pergusa - the frog plague

So for those who don't know the story:

During the 1996 F3000 race, lots and lots of little baby frogs were found hopping all over the pits and the race track, with people barely being able to move without stepping on one.

Here is a link with a good history of the track and more of that story:
http://www.racingcircuits.info/europ...l#.WR1a_evyjCc

Now, the big question is: are there any photos of this? Or even videos? I've never seen race coverage of that race and I've never found anything on YouTube or similar.

Does anyone know if it exists and if so, where it can be found?

Thank you!
Old 18 May 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3734308)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There are many stories of Enna, I remember Autosport doing a piece on F3000 in 2004 and they had subsection on some funny stories before it moved onto the F1 support bill fully, including the frog story and Trolle's incident. But the Barrichello one I hadn't heard before, amazes me considering he got to be an F1 race winner.

Enna was always a bit of a wildcard in the F3000 calendar, the race result never followed the pattern of the championship
Old 18 May 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3734326)   #3
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing to do with frogs but the story I like concerns the 1987 Enna F3000 race. The Ralt team had been amongst the quickest all season with pole positions and fastest laps just about everywhere. Gugelmin won the first race but the team was dogged by bad luck from that point on. However, at Enna Roberto Moreno was on top form and looked set to win the race comfortably until... On the last lap he slowed dramatically at the final chicane and just coasted round, apparently out of fuel. The team was distraught at losing out within sight of victory but, just as the second placed car appeared in his mirrors, Roberto floored the throttle and took the flag with a perfectly healthy car.

It took Ron Tauranac several years to see the funny side...
Old 19 May 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3734405)   #4
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Nothing to do with frogs but the story I like concerns the 1987 Enna F3000 race. The Ralt team had been amongst the quickest all season with pole positions and fastest laps just about everywhere. Gugelmin won the first race but the team was dogged by bad luck from that point on. However, at Enna Roberto Moreno was on top form and looked set to win the race comfortably until... On the last lap he slowed dramatically at the final chicane and just coasted round, apparently out of fuel. The team was distraught at losing out within sight of victory but, just as the second placed car appeared in his mirrors, Roberto floored the throttle and took the flag with a perfectly healthy car.

It took Ron Tauranac several years to see the funny side...
Nerves made out of steel I guess, huh?