Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jun 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3745470)   #2001
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Welcome to this part of the forum owrforever. I thought you yanks were too sensible to venture on to this thread. Is this a first? Wait until Bauble finds out!
Oi! I heard that. Pardon?

I once actually knew an American I almost liked, so as long as he doesn't post to often, disagree with me, and is happy to insulted regularly, well I suppose we can tolerate a bit of US input. Now and again, although I find it significant that the firsts two letters of USeles are US.

That said glad to have you here Yank.

Bauble CSA.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3745472)   #2002
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The first of the Streeter Dynasty (nephew) Harrison Baker is receiving a 1st BEeng (Hons) in Motorsport Engineering today at Oxford Brookes university . Well done !Click image for larger version

Name:	Harrison.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	49903

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 20 Jun 2017 at 10:36.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jun 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3745473)   #2003
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup well done.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3745476)   #2004
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The first of the Streeter Dynasty (nephew) Harrison Baker is receiving a 1st BEeng (Hons) in Motorsport Engineering today at Oxford Brooks university . Well done !Attachment 49903
Wow! Congratulations. Any ideas who neph wants to work for?
Old 20 Jun 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3745479)   #2005
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Wow! Congratulations. Any ideas who neph wants to work for?
Not too sure but he was mad about McLaren "once" they need all the help they can get !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jun 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3745488)   #2006
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The first of the Streeter Dynasty (nephew) Harrison Baker is receiving a 1st BEeng (Hons) in Motorsport Engineering today at Oxford Brookes university . Well done !Attachment 49903
Pity you're not still racing the Anglia. He'd probably be able to show you how to shave off a second or so a lap!

Well done to him.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3745494)   #2007
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Our last student got a 1st as well at Oxford Brooks.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3745496)   #2008
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Forget McLaren- Delta Motorsport it is then, Gordon.....
Old 20 Jun 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3745498)   #2009
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Forget McLaren- Delta Motorsport it is then, Gordon.....
I'll have a word with Iain when I see him at his big "extravaganza" (as long as he pays me the appearance money) !!!
Old 20 Jun 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3745499)   #2010
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So they are two a penny then !
Old 20 Jun 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3745541)   #2011
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just been asked by Raphael de Borman if anyone has a spare banjo axle casing for a 64B steel wheels. Needs it for this weekend at Spa.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3745543)   #2012
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just been asked by Raphael de Borman if anyone has a spare banjo axle casing for a 64B steel wheels. Needs it for this weekend at Spa.
Nope, sorry can't help. An MG breaker probably best bet. Someone like MG Mecca or MGBhive. (Alternatives are available...)

Last edited by Mike Bell; 20 Jun 2017 at 16:53.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3745548)   #2013
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just after I left base for the recent trip to Dijon, I spotted a dreaded Galaxy 'Enforcement' vehicle lurking in a side turning. Sure enough, it pulled out behind me, so I eased off and cruised behind a 7.5 tonner, close but not too close.... The Galaxy pulled out into the 'fast lane', overtook both of us, then turned on the 'follow me' sign. I reasoned that it was the small truck they were interested in, and sure enough, the Galaxy and it pulled into a large layby mile or so up the road. I could see that a bay was laid out and many 'Enforcers' were waiting for the prey... Phew! (Not that they'd find much wrong with my tacho- I'd only done 10 mins driving! )

Today, driving the tractor unit to Gt Yarmouth along the infamous Acle straight, I received several headlamp flashes and thumbs down signs from trucks going the other way. I slowed to 40, even though the truck limit is 50 (in case the authorities hadn't been told ), and sure enough on rounding a bend, there was the local 'Camera Partnership' van in a layby. However, as I approached, it pulled out and drove off towards Yarmouth.... Phew again!

Hope my luck holds.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3745561)   #2014
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just after I left base for the recent trip to Dijon, I spotted a dreaded Galaxy 'Enforcement' vehicle lurking in a side turning. Sure enough, it pulled out behind me, so I eased off and cruised behind a 7.5 tonner, close but not too close.... The Galaxy pulled out into the 'fast lane', overtook both of us, then turned on the 'follow me' sign. I reasoned that it was the small truck they were interested in, and sure enough, the Galaxy and it pulled into a large layby mile or so up the road. I could see that a bay was laid out and many 'Enforcers' were waiting for the prey... Phew! (Not that they'd find much wrong with my tacho- I'd only done 10 mins driving! )

Today, driving the tractor unit to Gt Yarmouth along the infamous Acle straight, I received several headlamp flashes and thumbs down signs from trucks going the other way. I slowed to 40, even though the truck limit is 50 (in case the authorities hadn't been told ), and sure enough on rounding a bend, there was the local 'Camera Partnership' van in a layby. However, as I approached, it pulled out and drove off towards Yarmouth.... Phew again!

Hope my luck holds.
Good to know truckers at least are still warning fellow drivers - or perhaps they were all foreign? I'd got the impression that such things were frowned-upon in overly PC GB these days.

Here everyone flashes to warn you, although the gendarmes are now whinging that it is preventing them from catching burglars etc, not that we seem to have many of them. More of a problem are the unmarked camera cars that have now been privatised... They are not easy to spot.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3745565)   #2015
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Good to know truckers at least are still warning fellow drivers - or perhaps they were all foreign? I'd got the impression that such things were frowned-upon in overly PC GB these days.

Here everyone flashes to warn you, although the gendarmes are now whinging that it is preventing them from catching burglars etc, not that we seem to have many of them. More of a problem are the unmarked camera cars that have now been privatised... They are not easy to spot.
I've seen unmarked cars on the sides of autoroutes setting up tripods & cameras- same crowd?

It may not be PC, but virtually every full size truck warned me. Cars, none. Thing is, if I'd gone past on the limiter @ 56mph, even though the limit on the road is 60, would I have got done as the truck limit is 50...... Is it human operator triggered or automatic?
Old 20 Jun 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3745571)   #2016
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I've seen unmarked cars on the sides of autoroutes setting up tripods & cameras- same crowd?

It may not be PC, but virtually every full size truck warned me. Cars, none. Thing is, if I'd gone past on the limiter @ 56mph, even though the limit on the road is 60, would I have got done as the truck limit is 50...... Is it human operator triggered or automatic?
Wouldn't 56mph be 10% + 1 mph so excusable?

Re unmarked cars, they sneakily have cameras mounted behind the front number plate, so virtually impossible to spot until it is too late! They often use Meganes but no doubt other cars are available.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3745576)   #2017
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
They often use Meganes but no doubt other cars are available.
No doubt John, mainly they use Ford's, Peugeot's and Renault's too. Others are available unfortunately. I've been lucky they dont check their photos when my trailer was caught as a normal vehicle when we're not allowed to do more than 110 km/h when pulling.
They turned almost all the automatic radars by 180° to catch the motorcycles too (which have to change their licence plates for bigger ones). We had several scandals with speed or red light radars, wrongly placed/ used or settled. I never heard about people having their money or points back in this case. Unfair.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3745581)   #2018
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Re unmarked cars, they sneakily have cameras mounted behind the front number plate, so virtually impossible to spot until it is too late! They often use Meganes but no doubt other cars are available.
Now that is sneaky!

We have this daft situation in UK where the HGV speed limit on dual carriageways is 60mph, and yet because of Euro compliance they are restricted to 56 mph (90kph). Wonder if a hard Brexit will sort that! Yes, I do dream.....
Old 20 Jun 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3745620)   #2019
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wouldn't 56mph be 10% + 1 mph so excusable?

The recent fines and points revision information explicitly says that there are no margins that are excusable. That has always been the case but, with more money on the table and everyone whining that they are short of funds (to pay their pensions I assume) I would not rely in the old 10% allowance "understanding" at all.

Indeed one assumes that the income from Speed Awareness courses will now fall below the potential revenue from fixed penalty notices and so will be withdrawn - or maybe enforced in the +10% category.

I have noticed that money saving by local councils seems to have resulted in many speed limit signs being overgrown by trees and hedgerow. They will, of course, deny that when challenged and once trimmed there will be no evidence available.

One might incline towards the use of a dash cam although of course using the recording as evidence of a hidden sign might in fact prove to be self defeating in other ways.

The Dutch have been using unmarked cars with hidden cameras for years. But then they would since one of their nationals invented the speed camera.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3745767)   #2020
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in rural Leicestershire I reckon I get flashed once a fortnight. It's never for the Rozzers because we haven't got any.
It's because there's Horses / Sheep / Cows / Cyclists (delete as applicable) all over the road.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 13:17 (Ref:3745779)   #2021
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Now that is sneaky!

We have this daft situation in UK where the HGV speed limit on dual carriageways is 60mph, and yet because of Euro compliance they are restricted to 56 mph (90kph). Wonder if a hard Brexit will sort that! Yes, I do dream.....
Just carry on dreaming, it was said today that all EU/UK laws will become UK laws after we leave, if that ever happens
Old 21 Jun 2017, 13:35 (Ref:3745787)   #2022
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If it ever happens, all that means is that the laws will be made statute. Once that happens the idea is to repeal the less useful laws. Can't do that if they aren't made statutory.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3745799)   #2023
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Having fallen foul of a scamera van recently - heading up towards Blubberhouses from Bolton Abbey, if anyone knows it - two lanes uphill one down, but they've recently changed the bottom section to 50mph from 60mph, I can quote from North Yorkshire's leaflet on the topic.....

Re Mike's query : " The speed (limit) varies dependant on the road type and the classification of your vehicle" - so I guess they use ANPR and check your speed against limit for that vehicle (though of course they won't be able to spot trailers on cars/vans, generally......)

Qualification for a Speed Awareness Course (inter alia):

in a 50 mph speed limit - 57 to 64mph inclusive, which implies that they do allow some leeway (although not the full 10% +2 that ACPO used to recommend.) Sadly I was 66 in a 50 - although financially there is little difference - £85 for four hour course somewhere in North Yorks, versus £100 fixed penalty, but of course the latter carries 3 points, too.......

Apart from the obvious, thing that annoys me is that I now have to send them my licence, which they will return by second class post and WILL NOT (their caps) accept any responsibility for loss of a licence. (Wonder about the legality of that.......) Don't actually know why they want the licence - they don't record anything on it, AFAIK - been 11 years since I've had points, though.......
Old 21 Jun 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3745804)   #2024
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Having fallen foul of a scamera van recently - heading up towards Blubberhouses from Bolton Abbey, if anyone knows it - two lanes uphill one down, but they've recently changed the bottom section to 50mph from 60mph, I can quote from North Yorkshire's leaflet on the topic.....

Re Mike's query : " The speed (limit) varies dependant on the road type and the classification of your vehicle" - so I guess they use ANPR and check your speed against limit for that vehicle (though of course they won't be able to spot trailers on cars/vans, generally......)

Qualification for a Speed Awareness Course (inter alia):

in a 50 mph speed limit - 57 to 64mph inclusive, which implies that they do allow some leeway (although not the full 10% +2 that ACPO used to recommend.) Sadly I was 66 in a 50 - although financially there is little difference - £85 for four hour course somewhere in North Yorks, versus £100 fixed penalty, but of course the latter carries 3 points, too.......

Apart from the obvious, thing that annoys me is that I now have to send them my licence, which they will return by second class post and WILL NOT (their caps) accept any responsibility for loss of a licence. (Wonder about the legality of that.......) Don't actually know why they want the licence - they don't record anything on it, AFAIK - been 11 years since I've had points, though.......
Dangerous things these brain-washing courses. One friend of mine got sent on one earlier this year just for doing 36 in a 30. On the way home her Volvo was T-boned by an errant Honda, writing off her car. Another friend, who happens to be PR director for a major motor manufacturer went on one but was running a bit late & collected another speeding ticket on the way there!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3745809)   #2025
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Another friend, who happens to be PR director for a major motor manufacturer went on one but was running a bit late & collected another speeding ticket on the way there!
Bit like getting a drive through for speeding in the pit lane, then during the drive through, speeding again....