Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2001, 02:37 (Ref:124559)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prost in financial difficulties

The Prost team is facing an unsure future with speculations of their financial difficulties.

They have given numerous testing sessions a miss because of financial considerations and according to reports in Eurosport, they have yet to pay the £18 million bill for their 2001 Ferrari engine supply as well as Jean Alesi's salary for the 2001 season.

Indications are that the most likely buyer for the team is former Formula One driver Pedro Diniz, who already owns a 40% stake in the team, which he bought in 2000. Should Diniz take control of the Prost team, it is almost sure that Jean Alesi would be looking elsewhere for a drive for the 2002 season, leaving Diniz to sign up Brazilian drivers for the 2002 season. In the event of such it is also unlikely that Prost would continue to receive Ferrari engines and their most likely options include Asiatech or maybe Renault.
It is even doubtful whether Alain Prost continues as team principal.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 03:41 (Ref:124574)   #2
HIU-SHUMI
Rookie

HIU-SHUMI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple solution Dump alesi,he`s slow and retarded,i can`t understand him ,can you.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 05:12 (Ref:124585)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You seem to have a problem. Please read the forum rules and also my reply to your poll thread.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 11:01 (Ref:124670)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ignoring the comment about Alesi's French accent - see my reply in your now-closed thread repeating the same slander -

I have always liked Alain best of the pilots that drove in the best years of F1 (the turbo years) and I think he's a gentleman and an asset to F1. But he is clearly not the owner/manager type and the sooner he gets out of that situation and finds something at which he can excel (colour commentary perhaps, or manager of younger pilots?) the happier he will be. You gave it a good go, Alain, and nobody will think less of you if you sell up and go on to something else.

One caution though - when considering what to say if TGF breaks your win record, remember what happened to Pinocchio.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 12:19 (Ref:124712)   #5
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It always amazes me quite how Alain managed to screw up Ligier so much. Panis (before his accident) was a serious contender for race wins in 1997, and Trulli would have won Austria were it not for an engine blow. And yet 1998 was utterly dismal, and things haven't got any better. I think unfortunately for all his driving talent, Alain does not have the managerial skills required. Whether Pedro will remains to be seen.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 13:14 (Ref:124736)   #6
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pedro hopefully for all his skill-less driving will be an excellent boss...
Old 1 Aug 2001, 13:23 (Ref:124741)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good pilot is an ego-driven, self-centred, totally dominating person (see TGF) who allows absolutely no one to have an opinion but him. And above all else he has to make sure that everyone around him gives him exactly what he wants, and that he is fired if he does not. This is how he wins.

A good boss has to listen to every opinion, change his thinking to suit the situation even if it results in his acting against his own short-term selfish interests to reach a greater success for everyone, has to sweet-talk employees and cater to them in the matter of time off, etc. And above all else he has to suck up to sponsors, investors and hangers-on, making sure they stay loyal to his cause by giving them what they want.

Chances are slim that the person who is suited by temperment and training to do one job can successfully do the other. Sir Jackie Stewart being the exception that proves the rule, perhaps...or by being smart enough to sell out before he proved otherwise?
Old 1 Aug 2001, 13:52 (Ref:124750)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but don't forget he comes from a family very successful in their business, and that's growing further more. Both of his father and brother are sportmen and run the family holding.

From what Diniz said on a newspaper, most likely he will be buying the team by the end of the season, and he's already have strong sponsors interested in a 100% brazilian team, altough he refused to mention who, is very likely to be connected with his family business links.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 14:32 (Ref:124763)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The most likely thing to happen at the moment is a consortium, likely to consist of Diniz family/Asiatech/Briatore will buy out the remaining 60% of the Prost team and take full control of the operation, and will most likely leave Alain out of a job, and I really do feel sorry for him.

It's likely that this will then become a Brazilian 'superteam'. Burti and Zonta (although Webber may end up there thanks to Briatore) may well drive next year, but don't be surprised if Barrichello were to end up there in 2003 (as predicted) if he was offered enough, because by then he will be absolutely sick and tired of the situation at Team TGF (oops, sorry, Ferrari!! ) (TGF fans, please ignore that, I wrote it in a moment of weakness!)

It is apparent that Prost cannot meet any of his bills for this season, and will be lucky to pay for the Ferraris (could this end up in court???) Since he lost Gauloises and Peugeot last year, it always looked like an uphill battle, and it now appears that the battle is lost.

As for Pedro, hopefully he will turn out to be a better manager than driver. But I wonder, will the team move from France? Obviously the French superteam, once Peugeot left and Renault didn't join, is now kaput.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 15:03 (Ref:124777)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
why do you think so many drivers have run away from prost at the first sign of a job offer? ok, well, 2 have that i can think of...
Old 1 Aug 2001, 15:50 (Ref:124791)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Considering at least six top-flight pilots have run away from the second seat at Ferrari, I don't think two guys refusing to drive at Prost is a big deal, Bella.

And as Rubens has sold himself to Ferrari for another year, I guess he's going to wait and see how that Diniz thing plays out.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 15:58 (Ref:124794)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
And as Rubens has sold himself to Ferrari for another year, I guess he's going to wait and see how that Diniz thing plays out.
Or to CART...
Old 1 Aug 2001, 17:15 (Ref:124813)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
What a shame..Alain Prost has tried sooooooo hard to make it work..Wonderful driver ,maybe Mr Prost is not cut out for running a team,I don't know..Jean Alesi should stay were he is IMO..How much longer will he drive? Two seasons at the most I would think..Briatori seems to own everyone, what pie does he not have his fingers into??? If Jenson Button goes to Prost that will be the begining of the end for him I fear..

Regards...Jeremy

Last edited by JeremySmith; 1 Aug 2001 at 17:16.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 18:18 (Ref:124830)   #14
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sell Alesi to Jordan and recruit a F3000 racer.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 18:40 (Ref:124839)   #15
Liz
Veteran

This is why you should never go to work for your friends.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 18:50 (Ref:124846)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
So very true...
Old 1 Aug 2001, 23:33 (Ref:124980)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a point: what would the team be called if not "Prost"??? Not "Diniz"!!!?? Dear god....
Old 1 Aug 2001, 23:57 (Ref:124993)   #18
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be sad to see him go, call me sentimental but I love the idea of drivers who then start there own team ie Brabham and Stewart.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 01:51 (Ref:125030)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Tristan, not "Diniz" for sure...

Petrobras maybe ?

Don't know ? Do ya ?

I feel sorry for Prost too...
Old 2 Aug 2001, 01:53 (Ref:125031)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Alan... McLaren isn't for a New Zealeand (am I spelling rigt) ???

The most succesfull team ever ?
Old 2 Aug 2001, 06:07 (Ref:125076)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot all about them Bon
Yes he was a KIWI.

Pity they didn't name the team after his first name

BRUCE
Surtees is also worth a mention
Old 2 Aug 2001, 12:18 (Ref:125173)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

BRUCE

Ron's Bruce on pole...

Anyway better than Andrea Moda...
Old 2 Aug 2001, 13:21 (Ref:125194)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Yes, Surtees should have given the team his first name. I can hear Murray now: "And Racer X is starting in the backup John...."
Old 2 Aug 2001, 14:14 (Ref:125215)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
have nearly wet self about idea of driving a diniz.
oh god, i think i'm going to die laughing....

could be even funnier calling it a pedro though.....
Old 2 Aug 2001, 14:17 (Ref:125219)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Or a PD.

Anyone speak Portuguese? What's the Portuguese for "Slow and Fragile?"