Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Jan 2002, 03:30 (Ref:198870)   #1
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadillac Prototype

The new Cadillac P900 has been debuted, photos at www.fastdetails.com
Old 15 Jan 2002, 05:37 (Ref:198888)   #2
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why didn't they just buy an Audi? The current LMP regulations is doing nothing more than producing a whole herd of cookie cutter look-alike cars. And they all look terrible and hacked up. I sure miss the old smooth longtail 908 and 917's. at least those cars were pretty.

At least we still have the Bentley.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 08:35 (Ref:198910)   #3
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now it wouldn't look great if GM won Le Mans with an Audi would it?

Good looking car, as far as open top machines go.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 08:38 (Ref:198912)   #4
H16
Racer

Good to see a car with the US flag on it, with a chance to actually do well (note I didn't say win).

No Toshiba, I guess they pulled out. Hope that doesn't affect GM's comitment to Sports Car racing.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 09:14 (Ref:198920)   #5
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smart looking car... I just hope they can take the fight to Audi
Old 15 Jan 2002, 10:49 (Ref:198937)   #6
Abs
Rookie

Abs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
Why didn't they just buy an Audi?
With Audi being as successful as they are, and with all of the R&D that goes into these cars I think it is only to be expected that they will all look some what alike.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 11:04 (Ref:198939)   #7
Banks
Rookie

Banks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could'nt believe my eyes , a blatant copy! (particularly the rear 50%)
Are sports car designers in danger of going down the same route as F1 (where everything looks the same until you cover it in sponsors)
Bet its not as mechanicaly sound as the Audi though!
Old 15 Jan 2002, 12:07 (Ref:198946)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it. It's not as boxy as the Audi and I like the stripes. Hope they are competitive.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 13:14 (Ref:198964)   #9
H16
Racer

While it does share a profile with the R8, I'd say its a bit far to say its a clone. The rear wing is different, so is the engine cover, and the cockpit seems to have a sharper rool hoop and looks more like an F1 style.

The front is similar, but not exact, with the nose seeming more sharper. They weren't kidding when they said a new car, the only thin it looks like it shares with the old R&S is the way the sides are made first swooping down then pointing up.

Hope this is the first victory at Le Mans for an American constructor since 69 (though Mirage and Rondeau both won in "Ford" powered cars afterwhich which were in fact, Cosworth DFVs).
Old 15 Jan 2002, 14:23 (Ref:198981)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its not the rules that dictate the shape of the cars. Its the aerodynamics. Ever since race engineers started designing cars to use the air around them it becomes a game of seeking the most downforce with the least drag and this homogenizes the shape of the cars down to a common denominator. Thus we have cars that all look similar. If they had to have roofs on them they would still look similar. If the rules said the engine must be in the front they would all look similar. Its the same thing that goes on in CART/IRL/F1 or most other non-production based race cars.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 14:55 (Ref:198988)   #11
Banks
Rookie

Banks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beg to differ. Most of the ideas on this car have been influenced by another car (in this case (visually)the Audi). The reasons the cars all look similar are because designers copy previous aerodynamic shapes from proven ideas and then enhance them.
I don't believe that if in theory you gave several designers a clean sheet (with a new set of rules) and they were'nt allowed to confer, you would get the same results.
e.g In F1 within weeks of one car appearing with small wings on the side of the car they all had them (I can't believe that every respective designer came up with the idea based on their own aerodynamic research!)
This could turn into an interesting debate
Old 15 Jan 2002, 15:18 (Ref:198994)   #12
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course there is no point in copying a slow car, so some of the Audi features will show up onm all the newer cars. But it is also true that the rules play their part in the car's shape. If ground effects were allowed, we would have never seen those hideous high nose F-1 cars. An in ALMS, the entire shape of the car would be different if they were allowed to incorporate the wing into the bodywork (like the Posrche 956/62).

OK, maybe the car isn't THAT ugly, but it sure doesn't compare with the classics like the GT-40's and 917's. Then again, I like coupes. But remember the 1969 Ferrari 312P sportscar? How about the 1972 Mirage? And the 1969, 72 and 76 Alfas? Back then, the designers weren't tucking the bodywork in everywhere they could thin it "1/4. The newer cars, to me anyway, have a much more chopped up appearance. The older cars have much more smooth and pleasing lines. Just my opinion.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 16:36 (Ref:199025)   #13
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course some builders copy others, in order to maximize their own potential. Audi has spent untold millions in the aero labs and with computational fluid models to develop their shape. Cadillac has probably done something similar, but used a facsimile of the Audi as a basis. Obviously the Audi works and who can say that they would not look long and hard at their design and then use bits and pieces along with their own development. Its less a problem of a lack of creativity and more the computers and engineers honing the shape to meet the demands.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 09:03 (Ref:199401)   #14
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I'm with you Dr Austin, whatever the merits of todays cars, they certainly don't have the 'looks' of some of the earlier cars. However there were some real howlers in the 70s, and out of that mess eventually came Group C. We can but hope.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 12:10 (Ref:199454)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they build the Cadillac Cien, that one could race in GTS. I'd love to have one of those! (Don't tell my dad, he'd plotz.)

While I'm normally a Panoz Girl, I think I will cheer for Cadillac this year too.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 13:17 (Ref:199476)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FWIW, I like it. It's a much better looking car than it's predecessors and, despite certain (inevitable) similarities with the Audi, it's a better looking car. As those who know me have heard before, I have never rated the Audi R8 as much of a looker!