Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Sep 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3671446)   #301
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh yeah. I may watch some of this one as I like Richmond.

I wonder what the Richmond reaction was when they announced the Bristol game date. Seems like poor timing but I think the attendance at the track will be the only effect. Viewership won't change much IMHO.

Hope Chase has a good race and makes the Chase for the Cup for the thing.

I won't discuss the Princess.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3671824)   #302
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I HATE the chase! This, IMO, is why NASCAR has lost allot of interest and quite a few old, hardcore fans. Automobile racing IS NOT a "stick and ball" sport. To modify and use a quote from a movie, "play-off, there's no play-off in racing!" Before the advent of this excuse for a way to pick the champion of this (and now the XFinity and truck series as well) series, EVERY race on the schedule MEANT something, EVERY race was important! The good thing was that even thought you had "bigger" races, as far as importance/status of the race itself, such as the Daytona 500, NO race on the schedule was more important than any other, with regards to winning the championship! All were weighted EQUALLY! Now, the ONLY races that mean anything, are the last 10 races on the schedule. The first 26 races on the schedule (including the Daytona 500, the World 600 and the Southern 500) have been reduced to the status of being just "events"! Winning any of them means very little! The whole thing is a JOKE! Why bother watching any of the races, until the race at Chicagoland? From the start of the season, if Feb., all you hear is "the chase, the chase, the chase, the chase! I have heard that word so much, that everything I hear it now, I want to PUKE! Saturday night, after about 5 minutes into the Richmond race, I turned off the sound and just watched the race in total quiet! EVERY OTHER WORD out of all three of the announcers in the booth, was that one, now DISGUSTING to me, word! NASCAR SERIOUSLY needs to ditch this JOKE and go back to letting the drivers/teams RACE for a championship, instead of trying to pick a champion via pa play-off format! This is KILLING the sport! off!

All being said, young Mr. Elliott did well. I thought Ryan Blaney would pretty much equal him. He was pretty much matching Elliot, race for race, though out the season, but had allot of bad luck the last several races. I honestly thought that each would have won a race, by now, surprised that they didn't, but there are 10 races left, so maybe one or both will. Personally, I don't care who wins the FARCE! To me, the season is over. The champion, should be whoever held the lead at the end of Saturday night's race. I'll watch the remaining 10 races, with the sound turned OFF, to see who wins each race, but that is it! I would absolutely LOVE it, if the remaining 10 races were won by drivers, OTHER THAN the 16! That would be EGG in the face of the IDIOTS that are running NASCAR into the ground! Perhaps, they would realize that they need to ditch this Joke and go back to racing for a championship -- but I HIGHLY doubt that they would, to quote another movie line, pertaining to them, after all, "Stupid is as stupid does!"
Old 12 Sep 2016, 13:20 (Ref:3671880)   #303
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+1 on your comments

NOWHERE besides NASCRAP do any other series that I am aware of use this STUPID FORMAT to determine a CHAMPIONSHIP
Old 12 Sep 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3671891)   #304
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
+1 on your comments

NOWHERE besides NASCRAP do any other series that I am aware of use this STUPID FORMAT to determine a CHAMPIONSHIP
I believe the NHRA has adopted it, but to your point, it's complete nonsense to crown a season champ this way in motor racing.

Even still, I hope Chase wins the Chase to become the first rookie to win a "championship". Because playoffs, that's more possible now than ever before.

Just for discussion:
ROTY Finishes In Final Top 10 of Drivers Standings
(from here, of course)
http://www.jayski.com/news/stats/201...e-Year#winners

Driver, Rank, Year
James Hylton, 2nd, 1966
Denny Hamlin, 3rd, 2006
Shorty Rollins, 4th, 1958
Tony Stewart, 4th, 1999
Jimmie Johnson, 5th, 2002
Ryan Newman, 6th, 2002
Dale Earnhardt, 7th, 1979
Jody Ridley, 7th, 1980
Earl Ross, 8th, 1974
Kevin Harvick, 9th,2001
Walter Ballard, 10th, 1971
Old 12 Sep 2016, 14:36 (Ref:3671893)   #305
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
NASCAR doesn't care about the older fans, and they shouldn't.

They should be caring about trying to get new fans.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3671896)   #306
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
NASCAR doesn't care about the older fans, and they shouldn't.

They should be caring about trying to get new fans.
How should they do that? They've alienated both and it has snowballed from extreme popularity to the brink of barely relevant.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3671903)   #307
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the " CHASE" is a great thing if you like PR Fluff

I also thought it was the Sprint Cup Championship NOT the Chase Cup Championship
Old 12 Sep 2016, 22:08 (Ref:3671977)   #308
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess how I have adjusted my attitude towards my passion of being a motorsports fan is this: If the on track product is still fun to watch and still
appeals to all 5 senses , especially live, I am good.

I don't care (anymore) what rules or formula changes any race sanction makes. The on track product is all that matters to me.

For the past 2 or 3 years now , the tv is on mute and the scanner radio
is up at Nascar website for a much better experience. I don't mind
every now and then listening to MRN or PRN. These tv commentators are
on the racing news show, commercials, practices, qualifying and everything in between. Same points made over and over and over. Its a classic case
of diminishing return so off the volume goes , especially race day.

Motorsports is constantly changing and I imagine still will in the future.
What ever they throw at me , I will adapt and enjoy it - my way.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3672008)   #309
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I guess how I have adjusted my attitude towards my passion of being a motorsports fan is this: If the on track product is still fun to watch and still

I don't care (anymore) what rules or formula changes any race sanction makes. The on track product is all that matters to me.

Motorsports is constantly changing and I imagine still will in the future.
What ever they throw at me , I will adapt and enjoy it - my way.
Cigars, straw delivery and sensible outlook? Knew I liked that guy, personally couldn't care less about season long championships so each race is its own event.

I will say awarding a season championship to Kenseth for the dullest season ever was HATED by all the fans I knew most of whom lived and breathed stock cars. But guess be careful what you hate and immediately stop watching, the late season '03 viewership was TERRIBLE and NBC wanted something done to get fans to watch. Their own fault for buying the second half but they overpaid at the height of the stock car bubble and wanted something for it.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3672110)   #310
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Old 14 Sep 2016, 02:18 (Ref:3672254)   #311
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Oh yeah. I may watch some of this one as I like Richmond.

I wonder what the Richmond reaction was when they announced the Bristol game date. Seems like poor timing but I think the attendance at the track will be the only effect. Viewership won't change much IMHO.
Most watched cable tv sports event of the night but Richmond no match for Battle at Bristol and got smoked by a broadcast game.

The Sprint Cup Series Federated Auto Parts 400 from Richmond – the race that determined the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup lineup – drew a 1.5 overnight rating on NBCSN, down 12 percent from last year and 44 percent from the ABC broadcast two years ago. According to Sports Media Watch, the 1.5 overnight rating is the lowest Sprint Cup race rating of the season. The race aired opposite Virginia Tech/Tennessee at Bristol, which drew a 3.8 overnight rating – the highest-rated game of the weekend in metered markets – but was down 24 percent from last year's "Saturday Night Football" matchup between Oregon and Michigan State (5.0).
While its rating was lower than last year (1.79), the race was the most-watched cable sports TV program, beating out Arkansas/TCU in the same time slot.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 09:47 (Ref:3672296)   #312
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Most watched cable tv sports event of the night but [URL="http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/134254-tv-ratings-richmond-no-match-for-battle-at-bristol"]Richmond no match
Thanks for posting that. I was curious.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 21:37 (Ref:3673806)   #313
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
DAMNIT! The kid cannot catch a break.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 21:59 (Ref:3673814)   #314
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the reason for the yellow with just a few laps to go this time?
Old 18 Sep 2016, 22:04 (Ref:3673816)   #315
canamman
Veteran

United States
If I were in Chases shoes, I would have broke mold
and dropped a well placed F-bomb right there in the interview.
Like a "are you effing kidding me?"
These late cautions for him are becoming too cruel and unusual .

I am so mad I just about want to say something
mean about the whole Truex saga story ,but I am not gonna do it.

What would you do with that turtle trophy? Straight to the kids toy chest.

Last edited by canamman; 18 Sep 2016 at 22:10.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3673818)   #316
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
What was the reason for the yellow with just a few laps to go this time?
Someone shredded a front right tire.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 08:45 (Ref:3674026)   #317
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
If I were in Chases shoes, I would have broke mold
and dropped a well placed F-bomb right there in the interview.
Like a "are you effing kidding me?"
These late cautions for him are becoming too cruel and unusual .

I am so mad I just about want to say something
mean about the whole Truex saga story ,but I am not gonna do it.

What would you do with that turtle trophy? Straight to the kids toy chest.
fieldofdreams called it. Young Elliott just cannot catch a break. This one was legit caution though, the blown tire on the number 95 car blew out the entire right front fender and left allot of debrie on the track. In this case, as they say -- "That's racin"! That had to hurt. Two laps, it was his race, two stinking laps! His post race interview was sterling! Maturity wise, this kid is FAR BEYOND his years! He'll get a win and when he does, mark my word, that dam is going to break and the wins will come like a flood!
Old 19 Sep 2016, 14:35 (Ref:3674103)   #318
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Someone shredded a front right tire.
Thanks. We don't get live coverage this side of the pond.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3675102)   #319
canamman
Veteran

United States
#24 Elliott said he was going to
use last weeks experience as motivation for
this week in Loudon. Looking forward to what
is yielded with that motivation. Got his radio on,
green flag in 5 minutes.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3675140)   #320
canamman
Veteran

United States
Eh the #24 had a top 5 for most of the day.
Late cautions , restarts , tire strategy sent him to 13th.
Still in top 12 of the chase. Radio got quiet
toward the end of the race.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3675386)   #321
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Not much of a race, yesterday. Dover should be better, next week.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3677339)   #322
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
Not much of a race, yesterday. Dover should be better, next week.
How'd you like Dover? I watched the last few laps and saw the kid was running up in the top 10 again.

Some people got eliminated or something....
Old 19 Oct 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3681357)   #323
canamman
Veteran

United States
Heading to Talladega early Sunday a.m.
I got to be there to see if Chase #24 can pull it off.
Odds are slim but excited for the event non the less.
This will be my 4th annual Dega trip in a row so I
may be forming in to a habit. I think this is my
7th or 8th race there.

Just in case you were wondering why you are a speed junkie,
here is proof that it all probably started early in life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYosgmZa25c
Old 19 Oct 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3681409)   #324
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Heading to Talladega early Sunday a.m.
I got to be there to see if Chase #24 can pull it off.
Odds are slim but excited for the event non the less.
This will be my 4th annual Dega trip in a row so I
may be forming in to a habit. I think this is my
7th or 8th race there.

Just in case you were wondering why you are a speed junkie,
here is proof that it all probably started early in life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYosgmZa25c
Good Luck. Have fun. I wish I was going too.
#24 has to win sooner or later.

Between the NBC commentary and "The Chase" being mentioned in every sentence, I am struggling to find any enthusiasm for the end of the season.
Old 19 Oct 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3681417)   #325
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
Good Luck. Have fun. I wish I was going too.
#24 has to win sooner or later.

Between the NBC commentary and "The Chase" being mentioned in every sentence, I am struggling to find any enthusiasm for the end of the season.
Thanks! The weather is going to be cool and perfect, a real bluebird.

Try the NASCAR website during a race. Click on "Drive" and do
an in car camera. Put on the scanner at raceview(a nominal fee)
and turn the volume down on the tv. It will improve your experience
and enthusiasm 1000%.

Just a side note, I read at Jayskis that at the spring demofest at Dega,
tore up $10mm in gear. That has to be a motorsport record if that
record was kept.

The only analogy I can think of is a Blue Angel airshow of 40 cars
doing 190mph. Its so precise, but one mistake, well, you know the
rest of the story.