Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3762689)   #726
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Is there an essay competition in here or something?? Who can type the most words wins??

I tend to skip any posts that have more than a few lines. CBF'd reading it all.
On the opposite side, I did find those posts very interesting.
Both Akrapovic and Richard explain their views and do that well (and respectful).

As for Alonso / Honda, apparently the Renault on Verstappen's car equally has nothing wrong. It just fired up in the garage, and a sensor shut it down on track after detecting increasing pressure inside the fourth cylinder
(https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...nes-to-blow-up)

So, Renault too could argue "We found nothing wrong with the engine".
Did Verstappen park it on purpose to make a point?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3762877)   #727
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I think we can put Alonso at Spa into context that apparently (according to Autosport), Monza is the 'deadline' for an engine decision for McLaren and thereby Alonso's decision on where he goes (or stays) next year. So maybe this was allegedly Alonso's message to Honda (and McLaren) that this is no good, so make your mind up.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3762910)   #728
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Whether or not Alonso parked a healthy car, I still think his radio rants indicate a lack of professionalism and a selfish attitude.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3762914)   #729
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah well....
Old 30 Aug 2017, 13:44 (Ref:3762928)   #730
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Whether or not Alonso parked a healthy car, I still think his radio rants indicate a lack of professionalism and a selfish attitude.
Possibly frustration?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3762934)   #731
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Possibly frustration?
He's paid enough to contain his frustration. It's an insult to the people who earn a fraction of what he does to get that car out on the grid 20 or 21 times a year. Behave like a prima Donna if you like, but don't expect me to respect you.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3762937)   #732
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He's paid enough to contain his frustration. It's an insult to the people who earn a fraction of what he does to get that car out on the grid 20 or 21 times a year. Behave like a prima Donna if you like, but don't expect me to respect you.
He's also paid to win races and nothing has been forthcoming, in the 2 and a half seasons, since he has been with McLaren-Honda and he's not getting any younger. I think that's plenty to be frustrated about.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3762943)   #733
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
OK. That's settled and clearly understood now......
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3762955)   #734
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
OK. That's settled and clearly understood now......
Alonso should be fired for insubordination and replaced for the rest of the season by Llando Norris, you are quite right, he is paid plenty enough to shut his mouth, alonso is now a rotten apple for me.......but I suspect Llando does not yet have his super-licence, does he?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3762957)   #735
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
If you ask me - which no-one has - McLaren should let Alonso walk, recall Button for 2018, then install Norris for 2019 alongside Vandoorne.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3762961)   #736
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Alonso should be fired for insubordination and replaced for the rest of the season by Llando Norris, you are quite right, he is paid plenty enough to shut his mouth, alonso is now a rotten apple for me.......but I suspect Llando does not yet have his super-licence, does he?
Let's get Verstappen (crying about Renault), Grosjean (about his brakes), Ocon (about his teammate) sacked too.
Did Vettel complain enough about Hamilton @ Baku to deserve the sack? Or Kvyat about how he is often maltreated by the FIA and the stewards?
Can we get rid of Magnussen for the use of bad/offensive language? Vettel too would probably qualify for that.

Anyone else we can wave goodbye?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3762964)   #737
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He can also use his notoriety and job/financial security to be a mouthpiece to vpice the frustrations that all of those people working to get his car on the grid have but can't say because they jeed the money much more than he does. It doesn't look good on them that their car is constantly failing. But Alonso constantly pointing blame at the engine can help to illustrate for those employees that it's not their fault while putting public pressure and embarrassment on Honda. Would be interesting to hear from those team members what they think of his comments. Could go both ways.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3762965)   #738
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Alonso is putting that awful Honda engine into places it does not deserve to be, in qualifying and outracing his teammate by reasonable measure.

If the Hondaites tell the team to trust them, and promise a new engine spec, and it doesnt show up for whatever illogical reason (it hasn't really been fully explained has it) and the lead pilot has problems in practice that make no sense with throttle position and energy store release, what is left to do?

The Honda engine as shown at Spa, was outdragged by every other car in the field.

No amount of strategy was going to fix that.

It is a terrible deal for the team, for Honda, for the driver.

Who expected Honda to stuff this up so badly? Not me.

The 'Honda or me' ultimatum in the press is a neat & tidy way of using the team's best asset to leverage a solution out of Honda.

Is a Renault going to be leaps & bounds better?
A 3rd string Renault after all.. the works cars & RBR in the queue ahead of them.

Mr Senna did wonders in that old Ford-powered car in 1993 against better engined opposition. Would be great to see what is possible when they are on the same playing field...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Aug 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3763157)   #739
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Getting frustrated at seeing him not being able to compete with other cars on the straights, I think you can't blame him. They all get frustrated in the heat of the moment, as long they don't let the red mist get the better of them

If McLaren do get the Renault engine, then only then will I see Fred staying
Old 31 Aug 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3763162)   #740
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Can we please stop with all the Alonso bashing? After years of hating the guy (the problems he caused during his previous first stint at McLaren and his must have had involvement in CrashGate being two reasons), I've actually started to take a shine to him this season. All this negativity is confusing my decision making department!
Old 31 Aug 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3763171)   #741
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think Alonso is cool. I like the guy. I enjoyed that Indy foray too. He's still sublimely talented. But he's old, he *must* be entering the phase Schumacher entered into in 2010. Flashes of brilliance but not quite the man he was in his prime years. And if he's not in that exact space yet, he's nearly there. His prospects for another win are grim.

I don't mind him speaking from his heart on the radio. He's an elder statesman, he's earned the (moral) authority to assume the drill sergeant role for a team that's operating way below par for all the various reasons. Of course, it still remains the team's formal responsibility to accept that or not. But Alonso does have a moral standing in giving the team a bit of a sting. That said, a volatile attitude on the radio, is going to go down like a lead balloon if wants to go to another team.

Parking a viable car -- if that is indeed what happened -- is more concerning. It reveals a driver that has given into despair whereas the appropriate F1"winning mentality" is to nail it, nail it, nail it whenever you start a race, strategy concerns permitting of course. If you are outside of that mental space I do feel that his prospects of remaining in the sport are getting dimmer.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3763189)   #742
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Indy was great - would that more F1 drivers diversified, like Alonso and Hülkenberg. But his radio rantings are just unprofessional. You keep problems inside the team.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3763191)   #743
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
McLaren Honda: Can they compete?

I think Fred still has got it and has certainly been the biggest character in the sport ATM
Old 31 Aug 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3763195)   #744
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Indy was great - would that more F1 drivers diversified, like Alonso and Hülkenberg. But his radio rantings are just unprofessional. You keep problems inside the team.
It's a morally legitimate method of last resort in the kind of emergency situation Mclaren finds itself in. I have no problem with it seen in that context. And I want drivers to speak from their heart, rather than the usual muzzle.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3763201)   #745
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm curious to know what the team thinks of the rantings though. All he is doing is blasting Honda, who the team is extremely frustrated with themselves, but have to remain more diplomatic with their words. Alonso is embarrassing Honda, not McLaren, and rightfully so.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3763204)   #746
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I don't care who he's embarrassing, you just don't do it. It's unprofessional. If I went on social media and slagged off my HR department, there would be consequences. And I don't earn what Alonso earns.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3763206)   #747
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
If I went on social media and slagged off my HR department, there would be consequences.
And if you complained about a supplier?
After all, I think Alonso is employed by McLaren, not Honda.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3763215)   #748
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, we have two schools of thought. Legitimate as opposed to inexcusable. Assuming that everyone has now nailed their colours to the mast on this one, is there any chance of giving it a rest......?
Old 31 Aug 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3763221)   #749
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, we have two schools of thought. Legitimate as opposed to inexcusable. Assuming that everyone has now nailed their colours to the mast on this one, is there any chance of giving it a rest......?
I think it's all inexcusably legitimate.

couldn't resist
Old 31 Aug 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3763224)   #750
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I think it's all inexcusably legitimate.

couldn't resist
What about legitimately inexcusable?

couldn't resist either.