Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Jan 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3489746)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new Jaguar Heritage series

I can't remember if there is a thread or not on this but now it seems that dates are possibly sorted does that mean a set of regs will be forthcoming? I do hope they have resisted the temptation to fill the grid with XK hot rods and keep the series FIA compliant.
Old 3 Jan 2015, 21:12 (Ref:3489778)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We should see the regs in the next couple of weeks. The dilemma regarding eligibility is that whilst UK rounds could run with HSCC VIF's the Germans won't countenance non-FIA cars at the Ring (probably Jaguar's preferred venue) and very few current XK racers are compliant. Will owners be prepared to render their cars less competitive in their own series in order to compete at a few events under the JHC banner?

It will be interesting to see what sort of compromise can be reached or we'll end up with a grid of E-types, Mk1's & 2's.
Old 4 Jan 2015, 18:32 (Ref:3489895)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully HSCC will recall that 3.8 XK120s with disc brakes were the death of the very popular BRDC Historic Sportscar Championship. It will stop correct cars coming out as the results will be skewed....
With Jaguar underwriting the series it will be successful so there is no ned to sell it short. There are a number of FIA specced XK120's and XK140's out there.
This has the makings of a great series
Old 26 Jan 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3497818)   #4
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A teaser for Simon from the HSCC website today

On w/c 2nd February, registrations and regulations will be released for the Jaguar Heritage Challenge for Pre'66 Jaguars.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3497971)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

thanks Colin - I saw that - they are really dragging this out! Do we know whether this is just on minutae on car spec (I gather brakes have been discussed) or is this about whether they will accept the hot rod XK's?
Old 27 Jan 2015, 20:13 (Ref:3498073)   #6
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hats off to the HSCC for actually using the news section of their website to release news - others could learn!
Old 28 Jan 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3498255)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a HSCC board meeting today so matters probably being finalised there.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3498311)   #8
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Do we know whether this is just on minutae on car spec (I gather brakes have been discussed) or is this about whether they will accept the hot rod XK's?
I'm rather hoping that for better or worse we'll get the finished article re regs, not enough time left to be arguing the finer points.

BTW, I've had an encouraging conversation today regarding HTP's for the S-type, Seems it could be possible after all, but unwinding 20 years of "development" might prove expensive. Depending on what the regs allow, I'd much rather mix it with the saloons than trail around at the back of the 400+ bhp E-type pack.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3498312)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

Colin I told you not to sell your Mk2.... admitedly I am 4 years late!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 07:46 (Ref:3498575)   #10
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were told at the board meeting yesterday that the regs will be going on the HSCC website today.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3498704)   #11
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and here they are

http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Jaguar...Draft_2015.pdf
Old 29 Jan 2015, 18:03 (Ref:3498811)   #12
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks Alan, fine toothed comb at the ready...............
Old 29 Jan 2015, 18:56 (Ref:3498832)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Thanks Alan, fine toothed comb at the ready...............
On brief read through, 'S' Type eligible, Colin?
Old 29 Jan 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3498892)   #14
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Eligible yes, but look at the weight! 200kgs heavier than a Mk2 which is fundamentally the same car. I haven't got hold of a copy of the homologation yet so that needs checking.

Otherwise no real surprises, except perhaps the suggestion that Germany will insist on HSCC VIF's and won't accept FIA HTP's - I think they may have got that the wrong way round or am I missing something obvious?
Old 30 Jan 2015, 06:57 (Ref:3498972)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Otherwise no real surprises, except perhaps the suggestion that Germany will insist on HSCC VIF's and won't accept FIA HTP's - I think they may have got that the wrong way round or am I missing something obvious?
That's what it says, but sounds all wrong to me as well! Definitely clarification needed......

Old 3 Feb 2015, 05:47 (Ref:3500348)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should help the hscc's bank balance.Dont understand why Germany would be different as the htp IS the be all end all so cant see why they would insist on one clubs indentity form.
Old 3 Feb 2015, 07:23 (Ref:3500357)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Dont understand why Germany would be different as the htp IS the be all end all so cant see why they would insist on one clubs indentity form.
Exactly. Oldtimer is the one event you don't want to forget your HTP! And guess the only event I forgot to pack my HTP? Luckily it followed a day later in time for scrutineering.......

Old 3 Feb 2015, 10:10 (Ref:3500388)   #18
Chris Sharples
Rookie

Chris Sharples should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin,
A quick call to Alan in the HSCC office confirms that the regulations are correct and he says they were "stipulated by the Germans."
On Terence's bank balance point, the HSCC charges £50 for a VIF.
Chris
Old 3 Feb 2015, 17:06 (Ref:3500492)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly because they are expecting a lot of cars turning up without the htp,s Chris.Many tales of woe over here concerning MSA being snowed under with papers that are no longer valid.
Was told to get my car done here to save any hassle (not for hscc though)
Old 15 Sep 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3574033)   #20
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, now the season is over - what were everybody's thoughts on the series? What improvements do you think would make it better, and to entice more people onto the grid?
Old 16 Sep 2015, 07:16 (Ref:3574179)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

the most obvious would be to run to somewhere near FIA spec. The Jaguar Mk1's are so far from FIA as to stop any Mk2 appearing which cannot be the intention of Jaguar.

The XK's should run to FIA and then I am sure a few C Types would be tempted to come out.

HSCC should remember how quickly the BRDC Historic Sportscar Championship crumbled when they let in the XK challenge cars.

To have a clear vision ultimately becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. If not I fear this has got one more season in it at best.
Old 16 Sep 2015, 08:12 (Ref:3574189)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

and to add a postscript to my comment above it was interesting comparing the Fordwater times of the winning XK120 (presumably in FIA spec) and my and Nigel Webb's Mk2's in the St. Mary's - we were all basically the same time so there would be a good race.
Old 16 Sep 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3574272)   #23
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've seen as a spectator the new Jaguar Heritage series is missing some competition. It has hardly set the world on fire entertainment wise. There is too much diversity and spread out fields. Its great to see so many different models but they need competition within their groups.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 11:19 (Ref:3576928)   #24
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what about hot rod e types??
Old 25 Sep 2015, 11:39 (Ref:3576938)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

Jodi if the E Types are running to non FIA spec I think you are right. Basically when a series doesn't correctly reflect historical order it will cap its longevity. However a well developed E Type is always going to be at the front of a pre 66 Jaguar grid - possibly even against D Types.

There is no perfect filter but it is generally accepted that running to FIA spec is deemed the most all embracing.

Dont get me wrong - I love XK120's and own one myself but as soon as you get them running torwards the front it is not going to encourage C Types and FIA 120's to come out. Likewise Mk1's should be slower than Mk2's otherwise everyone back in the day would have kept racing Mk1's!

To ensure the series works going forward you need a sustainable grid and my view is that making it FIA will ensure that...