Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 22 Nov 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2794342)   #1
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wimbledon Stadium changes

Sorry folks been a bit of an infrequent visitor to wimbledon over the years -the ever earlier start times and increasing traffic due to sunday trading at the ever increasing retail parks, meant popping along after watching circuit racing was no longer an option.

I know there are some regular goers on here so after a long overdue visit - just wonder about a few things.

1/ Stadium car parking was always tight - especially with good car counts and 4 formula racing. But a whole section of the car park seemed to be fenced of with vans parked behind it - is this a short term thing - or does the stadium no longer have access to that area for parking in the future?

2/ Only the back straight was open, is this due to refurbishment works in the rest of the stadium, or is it to keep costs down by only opening a small area to reduce the cost of cleaning and the numbers of crowd marshals that we have to have standing around at events these days?

3/ I know this happen years ago, but I`m sure it happened after the debris fencing appeared - on the pit bend especially the solid metal spectator fence got raise to a height so you can no longer see over it. Never understood the reason for that?
Old 22 Nov 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2794348)   #2
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Sorry folks been a bit of an infrequent visitor to wimbledon over the years -the ever earlier start times and increasing traffic due to sunday trading at the ever increasing retail parks, meant popping along after watching circuit racing was no longer an option.

I know there are some regular goers on here so after a long overdue visit - just wonder about a few things.

1/ Stadium car parking was always tight - especially with good car counts and 4 formula racing. But a whole section of the car park seemed to be fenced of with vans parked behind it - is this a short term thing - or does the stadium no longer have access to that area for parking in the future?

2/ Only the back straight was open, is this due to refurbishment works in the rest of the stadium, or is it to keep costs down by only opening a small area to reduce the cost of cleaning and the numbers of crowd marshals that we have to have standing around at events these days?

3/ I know this happen years ago, but I`m sure it happened after the debris fencing appeared - on the pit bend especially the solid metal spectator fence got raise to a height so you can no longer see over it. Never understood the reason for that?
Went there last night for Best In Britain.

I believe part of the car park has been rented to a hire company, not really that much room for public parking now, there were still a few spaces left an hour or so before the meeting started though.

Bit of both I think, yesterday only the back straight and a quarter of each bend either side of this was open, apparently the 'main' grandstand is set to be demolished.

I presume the solid metal fence thing is to stop people watching from the front of the terracing and blocking the access path at the front (As it is right by the new entrance.)

Wimbledon is perfect for the off season of circuit racing with racing every weekend between October and March now!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2794398)   #3
Vernon Head
Rookie

Vernon Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the main stand is being refurbished, as long as you dont mind losing your car theres loads of parking on the street around the staduim!!
Old 1 Jan 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2810032)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Went today for the first time since the changes, was looking good and another good day there.