Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 May 2015, 09:08 (Ref:3534663)   #251
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
But twice at Martinsville?? Really need to actually look at the tickets they 'sell' for the fall race and decide if it's worth it. There was no shortage of free Cup and Xfinity tickets available for the fall race 5 years ago, everyone I knew went on a free or under $5 ticket deal for the Cup race and said it was rarely a full house. That was 5 years ago and I haven't seen a single thing to indicate ticket sales have gone up appreciably since then. It was almost as bad at Bristol in the fall, just harder to get decent parking there without spending through the nose. It was about an equal trip either way from me so had a decent split of guys going to both, but if you want to drink go to Martinsville over Bristol.
Yeah, not surprised. The non-recovered economy, that is getting worse everyday, (DESPITE the claims of recovery) has taken a huge chunk out of race attendance, as well as attendance of every other sport in this country. The NFL isn't getting the numbers they did 5 years ago! Unfortunately, the ONLY thing that is not going up is paychecks! Before 2008/2009, I could attend one, maybe two races a year. Now, that is impossible, due to the rise in price of practically everything!
Old 6 May 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3534705)   #252
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regarding attendance, I think Fontana and Vegas have had the best actual attendance, when compared to their history. This of course is my opinion by looking for empty seats in the stands on the TV. All others appear absolutely abysmal when i think of what they looked like 10 years ago.

Low attendance is due somewhat to the economy, but the economy is indeed recovering, just not fast enough for some critics. And besides, race fans have historically gone to one race a year, even if they can barely afford it; it's always been that way. Early to mid 80s, attendance was pretty good. Fan economics, while it surely plays a factor, is NOT the real problem; it's the product NASCAR is selling to their fans.

And I am biased, but they should have 2 races at Atlanta, Darlington and Rockingham. Those tracks historically have put on the best show on my TV, but no one was going to the actual races at those tracks b/c the on track product has changed too much for us long time fans.

They should go to Iowa. That place would be packed. All 30,000 seats.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 6 May 2015 at 12:44.
Old 6 May 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3534731)   #253
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
Martinsville and the other short tracks should be left alone! Should NOT be crossed off of the schedule! Since you seem to be trying to use Harvick's words to justify your desire to remove Martinsville, you need to look at what Harvick said, "I know the first place I would go is Iowa. I think that everybody wants to see more short tracks and more venues." Bold added for emphasis! More does not mean dropping a short track race from the schedule!
I don't care if they serve red hotdogs or red bologna sandwiches or whatever there but but two races are a stretch. Bill Sr & Jr might be spinnings in there graves but Brian will be left holding the keys if they don't mix things up and fast. Where do you think the sponsors want to be? In a second class market like Martinsville twice a year? The sport is driven by TV money and pretty soon Fox and NBC will have a come to Jesus meeting with Brian about declining ratings and will want some of that money back because NASCAR, no doubt gauanteed them a certain rating number that they would hit. What would draw a bigger crowd, the fall race at Martinsville or a race at Road Atlanta? More Venues. Also consolidate (mean drop) some races from the schedule before the chase starts.

With regards to FOD's comments about two races at AMS, I don't know maybe a better date would help that place out.
Old 6 May 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3534753)   #254
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'd do three 30-50 mile heat races (with split races) for both Xfinity and Cup on Saturday, then a 150-200 mile Xfinity race and a 200-300 mile Cup race on Sunday. (Short track and superspeedway respectively.)
Basically the Aussie V8 route. I wouldn't mind two 75/100 mile races and one 200/300 mile race. Special races like the 500 and 600 stay a single race format obviously.

But, there are two main issues with these kind of formats.
1) If you run the short races on Saturdays, will people come? Will people at home watch?
2) What do teams do when the car is damaged, especially on ovals?

At the end of the day, the one race format is the best option for NASCAR. If they do shorten the races, I think it would be cool if they moved the Xfinity series to Sunday. Have a back-to-back Xfinity(1-1.5h)-Sprint(2h) Sunday Race Day.

On another note, NAPA will sponsor Chase next season.
Old 6 May 2015, 14:56 (Ref:3534764)   #255
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
With three races, each position is worth three spots in the feature race. That's why it's better than just two races. Plus, with 43-45 cars each race would have 15 cars, which gives more exposure to small teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
1) If you run the short races on Saturdays, will people come? Will people at home watch?
I'm sure those sprint races would be very interesting to watch.

Quote:
2) What do teams do when the car is damaged, especially on ovals?
Same as if they crash in practice or qualifying. It happens.
Old 6 May 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3534781)   #256
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sure those sprint races would be very interesting to watch.
That may be true but most people have better things to do on a Saturday. Does anyone know what percentage of the Sunday crowd is there for the entire race weekend?

Quote:
Same as if they crash in practice or qualifying. It happens.
If you are splitting the field, then it's okay. But if the entire field runs every short race (which is what I would prefer), then that is 2-3 races on the same day. A crash in race 1 will result in a long day for those drivers.
Old 6 May 2015, 16:12 (Ref:3534793)   #257
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Heat races will never happen in Cup races. They just won't unless they go back to a dirt track or in a non points paying event. An additional road race is more likely, and that's not happening anytime soon, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
With regards to FOD's comments about two races at AMS, I don't know maybe a better date would help that place out.
I just want to watch races at tracks I like. A second race at ATL is not going to happen, nor is another Cup race at the Rock. Both unfortunate and possibly reasons NASCAR is in trouble.
Old 6 May 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3534822)   #258
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a little off topic but kinda not.

I just watched my nephew who is a pitcher in the Braves
minor league system throw a shutout - 1 hitter for the Carolina
Mud Cats. During the game, the announcer said that in a minor
league game later this week they are going to play only 7 innings
to see if that does not draw more attendance knowing they can
get the kids home quicker. Purely just an experiment. Racing
is not the only sport taking a look at the time issue.
Old 6 May 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3534860)   #259
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post

I don't think it's off topic at all and is a very valid point. Baseball is currently in a slump itself, pun intended, and needs to revamp their product as well to keep people interested. I think that it's very fascinating that they are shortening the games and think that the same thing could potentially work for NASCAR.

Now to really go off topic, who is your nephew and does he have a shot at the bigs?

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 6 May 2015 at 18:58.
Old 7 May 2015, 00:29 (Ref:3534965)   #260
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:

Cool that you have a nephew that is a pitcher for the Braves Farm System. Like Field of Dreams, I want to know, does he have a shot?
Old 7 May 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3534968)   #261
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With three races, each position is worth three spots in the feature race. That's why it's better than just two races. Plus, with 43-45 cars each race would have 15 cars, which gives more exposure to small teams.
why not have the entire entry list divided by 3 for the heats, so a couple of years ago you would have had 45+ cars, so your start and parkers get a chance to run a shorter (and potentially cheaper) amongst 15 or so other cars. More exposure as mentioned, more chance to finish higher up the leaderboard. How many cars are trying to qualify now?

If they don't want to run the main, their position can be taken by someone else who didn't make it through (but wants to)
Old 7 May 2015, 02:24 (Ref:3535000)   #262
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Cool that you have a nephew that is a pitcher for the Braves Farm System. Like Field of Dreams, I want to know, does he have a shot?
Baseball is a gigantic business . I had no idea there were so many levels
in the farm system with so many players. All of them with dreams of
making it to the bigs. He is off to a great start this season! Here is
a link to his recent outing today.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...recap&sid=t249
Old 8 May 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3535579)   #263
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If you are splitting the field, then it's okay. But if the entire field runs every short race (which is what I would prefer), then that is 2-3 races on the same day. A crash in race 1 will result in a long day for those drivers.
I prefer split grids, because it helps to show the less claimed drivers. Plus, the more races, the more important it is to overtake a driver for the feature race grid.
Old 9 May 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3535797)   #264
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SpongBob Squarepants 400? Seriously?
Old 9 May 2015, 12:55 (Ref:3535804)   #265
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfizz View Post
And it may be "Under The Sea" tonite with rain.
Old 9 May 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3535829)   #266
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I don't its a bad idea to try and get kids interested in the sport and this is an avenue they are trying. I have a 4 year old and a 9 year old and the Sponge Bob 400 has been plastered all over their cartoons with loads of promotions, online activities etc. Not sure its had any affect on my boys, but beats the hell outta something like "Seniors Day" at the ball park for trying to get butts in the stands and people watching on the TV.
Old 9 May 2015, 19:32 (Ref:3535932)   #267
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I don't its a bad idea to try and get kids interested in the sport and this is an avenue they are trying. I have a 4 year old and a 9 year old and the Sponge Bob 400 has been plastered all over their cartoons with loads of promotions, online activities etc. Not sure its had any affect on my boys, but beats the hell outta something like "Seniors Day" at the ball park for trying to get butts in the stands and people watching on the TV.
Hmmm I see. Couldn't they just let kids in free or let them watch for free on tv rather than pay for cable? Or is that too simple? Rather that than name a race in a premier racing series after a bloody cartoon sponge. What next? The Wile-E-Coyote Chase for the Sprint Cup? The Ren and Stimpy 500? Peppa Pig 250?
Old 9 May 2015, 20:07 (Ref:3535947)   #268
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Hmmm I see. Couldn't they just let kids in free or let them watch for free on tv rather than pay for cable? Or is that too simple? Rather that than name a race in a premier racing series after a bloody cartoon sponge. What next? The Wile-E-Coyote Chase for the Sprint Cup? The Ren and Stimpy 500? Peppa Pig 250?
You're just being silly now with names. This is the same mentally that cried foul when they put Tide on a car, saying that's for housewives and not manly enough for nascar. If you dont like it, voice your opinion to Nascar. Or better yet, find a sponsor for them that can afford to sponsor a race. They seem to need some help.

Kids in the event free is what many other events/tracks/series do. That is a possibility but like airplanes, grandstand seats are sold, not necessarily tickets to the event.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 9 May 2015 at 20:15.
Old 9 May 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3535953)   #269
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
You're just being silly now with names. This is the same mentally that cried foul when they put Tide on a car, saying that's for housewives and not manly enough for nascar.
My favorite - Buddy Bakers Crisco car.
Old 10 May 2015, 22:39 (Ref:3536285)   #270
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you're forgetting Hooters...
Old 12 May 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3536893)   #271
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Scary stuff. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/driver-...lips/14639411/
Old 13 May 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3537017)   #272
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When is Kyle Busch back racin'?
Old 13 May 2015, 10:52 (Ref:3537035)   #273
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
When is Kyle Busch back racin'?
Suppose to be this weekend in Charlotte for the Allstar.
Old 14 May 2015, 07:03 (Ref:3537315)   #274
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Allstar is boring... Too much money being thrown around when there is poverty everywhere - would be ok if it was a points paying race tho
Old 14 May 2015, 08:31 (Ref:3537330)   #275
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Wow! Yes, very scary! Thank God no one was seriously injured! I know you are a feeling a little better knowing that!