Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Nov 2003, 21:18 (Ref:772055)   #1
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Dreaded Overtake Button

According to this article Cart is going to be using a "push to pass" button.

"Plans are in the works for modest developments to the Ford/Cosworth XFE for ’04, including soft- and hardware tweaks enabling a “push to pass” function giving drivers a fixed amount of time during races when they have a little extra power at their fingertips. Other software development is in the works that will make the engines a little more “driver friendly” on pit road when the cars are running at a comparatively slow speed limit."

What folly is this? Didn't they used to use one on ovals only a couple of years ago? What were the reasons they dropped it? I don't remember now. (hey, I'm over 50 and all those brain cells I misused when I was younger are ganging up on me )

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about this, will it only give Junky something else to whine about?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 3 Nov 2003, 21:26 (Ref:772061)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well we have always had the juggling the boost for power verses reliability or fuel economy.

However Formula Palmer Audi had a 'boost button' which allowed a short increase in power. You could only use it a certain number of times in a race!

If you are running a more standard slightly de-tuned spec. engine then I suppose it is a sort of way to replicate the old turbo juggling we used to see. (odd that FPA boss Dr Johnathon introduced it considering he was Jim Clark trophy boy!).
Old 4 Nov 2003, 00:00 (Ref:772192)   #3
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think they stopped using it because the push to pass button became the do not pass me button.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 00:05 (Ref:772198)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it. It should help the racing action and that's a good thing, but it has to be a limited amount of times that it can be used during a race, this way a driver would have to pick and choose carefully when he is going to use it. It would become part of the overall race strategy.

How many times have we seen a driver making a move and he doesn't quite have the power to make it? This would help.

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Nov 2003, 02:53 (Ref:772261)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought that all it did was cause the car to run full rich. Recall they were also able to lean the air-fuel mixture in the past. I thought it was used for several years on all tracks.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 03:27 (Ref:772281)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the formula we have right now produces great racing, and there's no need to change it. The races at teh start of the season were a bit dull as drivers were figuring out their race cars, but towards the end of the season the racing was hard, close and exciting.

I'm not too worried at this point though, as CART rules seem to change...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Nov 2003, 04:15 (Ref:772286)   #7
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought superstuds like Rodolfo Lavin wouldn't need any help to make a pass. A drivers' series should let the drivers themselves make the pass, not an overtake button.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 05:56 (Ref:772303)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this an OWRS announcement or a CART one... lets not forget they arent the same thing just yet
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Nov 2003, 15:23 (Ref:772793)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if they want a push to pass button and lure in a new fan base, why not attach bottle of NO2 (NOS, Nitrous express, or Venom brands would love to be associated with this)
and this way they can onl have X amount and it is easily used up. Now all the 'Import Crowd' and Gen X-Y will be running to the fences and eyeballing everyrace- Right OWRS?
push to pass...I thought is might be a good idea on a street course where it is harder to stick your nose in under braking-but if this is what they want try a commercial and Popular Tie in and make ChampCars really unique, eh
Old 4 Nov 2003, 17:11 (Ref:772887)   #10
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new generation of IRL engines have this kind of ****, where the drivers have to get an OK from the Factory Engineers before going to full power (Can I kick this P-38 to full boost to shake that Zero? -waiting for your answer...)
Max Mosley felt that the fans don't give a rat's behind how many engineers with laptops are in the back room fine tuning the engine as the race goes on.
If they're going to have sealed spec engines, then have them identical and leave it there. Design the courses with more passing opportunities and let the drivers drive!
Old 5 Nov 2003, 01:01 (Ref:773328)   #11
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by dirtfan
Design the courses with more passing opportunities and let the drivers drive!
I am not horribly opposed to "the button" but I think dirtfan really hit the nail on the head here.

GT, your ideas not all bad either. Give them a little extra fuel...no. Give them 5 seconds of..let's say...1200bhp...I'd love it.

Last edited by Flatspot; 5 Nov 2003 at 01:04.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 02:13 (Ref:773358)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Dreaded Overtake Button

Quote:
Originally posted by Radioshoes
According to this article Cart is going to be using a "push to pass" button
:confused: Didn't Honda have one of those in F-1? It could only be used seven times and then POOF!
Old 5 Nov 2003, 03:34 (Ref:773398)   #13
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They now have something like this in formula one, I heard that Montoya had one on his car and it gave him a bit more rpms
Old 6 Nov 2003, 11:41 (Ref:774714)   #14
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thebear: thats only if it worked, if it didn't POOF! anyway...
Old 6 Nov 2003, 11:52 (Ref:774725)   #15
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Jenson gone to ChampCars?
Old 7 Nov 2003, 02:09 (Ref:775401)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We had great racing when the button was around so I'm not worried either way. I'm pretty sure all it did was run full rich, I don't think it was a huge advantage. Unless you're on a fuel run, everyone will be hitting the button on restarts, etc.

Easy joke Hazza.