Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Dec 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2606868)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
ESPN Driver of the decade nomination

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=4784793

Tom Kristensen gets nominated. I don't know if there will be a fan vote, but will let you know if there is.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2606884)   #2
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being that it's ESPN, I'd be extremely surprised if anyone besides Jimmy Johnson won...
Old 31 Dec 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2606921)   #3
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Being that it's ESPN, I'd be extremely surprised if anyone besides Jimmy Johnson won...
And he would rightfully win. Biggest champion since Michael Schumacher, no other driver besides these two has ever established such a winning streak.

Kristensen didn't do well enough outside Le Mans to justify him winning if you ask me. Yes, it's Le Mans but I think you have to rank drivers higher that compete on a very high level over full seasons, not single events.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2607041)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's between Schumacher and Johnson.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 13:09 (Ref:2607329)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
It's between Schumacher and Johnson.
Looks like they are including bikes and Rally so Sebastian Loeb and Valentino rossi are in too. Thats a tough call as they have all broken many records in their particular fields.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2607388)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In that case you are right.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 04:41 (Ref:2607507)   #7
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricky Carmicheal was a multi-year MotoX champion and one of his last outdoor seasons he won every race. (perhaps even every moto...but I can't remember exactly)

James Stewart is also an amazing Motocrosser. Driver is such a limiting factor isn't it?
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2607597)   #8
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Valentino Rossi is featured on Monday, and he will probalbly get my vote. Fast on a bike and proven to be fast and competitive in rally and circuit disiplenes.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2607679)   #9
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
And he would rightfully win. Biggest champion since Michael Schumacher, no other driver besides these two has ever established such a winning streak.

Kristensen didn't do well enough outside Le Mans to justify him winning if you ask me. Yes, it's Le Mans but I think you have to rank drivers higher that compete on a very high level over full seasons, not single events.
Sebastien Loeb has won FIVE straight World Rally Championships...

And Rossi has won 7 of the last 9 World Championships...

Both are far more impressive feats than Johnson IMHO.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2607681)   #10
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sebastien Loeb has won FIVE straight World Rally Championships...

And Rossi has won 7 of the last 9 World Championships...

+1 (especially for Loeb: gravel and pavement wins, and varying weather conditions. Johnson: pretty much driving circles on sunny days.)
Old 3 Jan 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2607690)   #11
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
fish88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
+1 (especially for Loeb: gravel and pavement wins, and varying weather conditions. Johnson: pretty much driving circles on sunny days.)
You can argue that with the fact that Loeb that he had no real competition the last 3 years against Johnson with enough opponents.

Not saying Loeb is bad, but downgrading Jonhsons performance just to driving circles isn't respectful.

But if I had to chose it would be Rossi anyway.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2607708)   #12
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm going to get shot for this, but with TK, a lot of his success has been down to luck. He's been fortunate enough to find himself in the best car for pretty much every single race of this decade. I'm not for one moment claiming that any fool can win for Audi, but TK is an incredibly lucky driver in the same way Alan McNish is a desperately unfortunate driver.

If I was going to set up a Le Mans team with all the money in the world behind it, I would be calling McNish's agent before TK's. Perhaps that only says who I think is the better driver, but I think many would agree with me.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2607729)   #13
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I have no idea about bikes so I can't comment on Rossi but Loeb (as brilliant as he surely is) is usually facing 1-2 competitive drivers each season.

Johnson races in a series that is probably the most competetive of all, where 10+ drivers can win at any given weekend. Winning four championships in a row in such an enviroment is something no driver has ever done before If you ask me.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2607775)   #14
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish88 View Post
You can argue that with the fact that Loeb that he had no real competition the last 3 years against Johnson with enough opponents.

Not saying Loeb is bad, but downgrading Jonhsons performance just to driving circles isn't respectful.

But if I had to chose it would be Rossi anyway.
Yeah, so I don't have much "respect" for NASCAR or some of it's drivers. I had more respect for Jimmy when he was off-road racing, but a guy has to make a living. "Downgrading"... did you miss the winking face? Guess so. (Too serious, dude.) They are not "driving circles?" OK, ovals. Oh, yeah, two road courses. Still in nice weather, even when they do road courses. And yeah, they're racing spec cars, built "crooked" so they even turn left easier, so I guess he is the best of that group, since all things have to be equal.
Still, my choice, Loeb or Rossi. But good luck to any one but a NASCAR driver or Danica (even less respect for her) winning this title put up by an American TV network.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2607785)   #15
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I have no idea about bikes so I can't comment on Rossi but Loeb (as brilliant as he surely is) is usually facing 1-2 competitive drivers each season.

Johnson races in a series that is probably the most competetive of all, where 10+ drivers can win at any given weekend. Winning four championships in a row in such an enviroment is something no driver has ever done before If you ask me.
That and there's two to three times more races than MotoGP and WRC.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2607948)   #16
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
But how many major track differences? Also they don't even race in a sprinkle of rain.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2607962)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yes, nascar drivers do it by going in circles but they are going against 42 of the best stockcar drivers/teams in the world 32 out of the 52 weekends of the year...JJ has made the rest of the them look more foolish than their crabbing cars. that being said, they should give the award to Chad Knaus.

Seebass B. won 51% of the races he entered and 4 straight championships... to me, this is more impressive than JJ. but how much credit can you give a guy whose series is no longer in existence, and who was let go from his last ride?

TK...arguably the most successful sportscar driver ever. he has won it all, but not as dominate as the other drivers.

Sam Hornish???
...um, NO.

Loeb, with his dominating record, more dominating than ChadK, i mean JJ, is my front runner, thus far. but the Doctor and M. Schumacher have also been very impressive and dominating in their respective, challenging sports as well.

and as stated before, ESPN may not be very impartial.

9 drivers? who are the rest? i guess we'll find out some enough...
Old 4 Jan 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2608093)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
But how many major track differences? Also they don't even race in a sprinkle of rain.
Every track is different, even though they may all look the same.

Running on an oval in rain is suicide.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 03:28 (Ref:2608243)   #19
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
I said major differences, all the tracks are mostly all tri-ovals or ovals. Surface, length, banking, even number of turns may differ, but they're all basically the same. And I am pretty positive the only clockwise track they race is the Montreal GP Circuit. Racing on an oval in the rain is not suicide. All other types of racing have seemed to find that slicks don't work well in rain, but rain tires do with speeds almost as fast as a dry track. Really all NASCAR drivers have IMO is they stay in those ovens for hours on end, and you know they must get bored as hell too. My vote is still for Rossi.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 06:42 (Ref:2608274)   #20
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
I said major differences, all the tracks are mostly all tri-ovals or ovals. Surface, length, banking, even number of turns may differ, but they're all basically the same. And I am pretty positive the only clockwise track they race is the Montreal GP Circuit. Racing on an oval in the rain is not suicide. All other types of racing have seemed to find that slicks don't work well in rain, but rain tires do with speeds almost as fast as a dry track. Really all NASCAR drivers have IMO is they stay in those ovens for hours on end, and you know they must get bored as hell too. My vote is still for Rossi.
A treaded rain tire would burn up after about 5 laps on an oval, due to the sustained G-Forces on the sidewalls and treadblocks.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2608302)   #21
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
And the rain tires in F1 don't support high G's?
Old 5 Jan 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2608432)   #22
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And the rain tires in F1 don't support high G's?
Not like those present on an oval. I suggest watching the 2005 US Grand Prix...
Old 5 Jan 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2608437)   #23
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
TK...arguably the most successful sportscar driver ever. he has won it all, but not as dominate as the other drivers.
The most successful sports car driver at Le Mans maybe but ever ? Sorry but no. there have been fairly more successful sports car drivers if it isnt break down on Le Mans only for once.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2608438)   #24
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
I agree, Tom K tends to get overrated because of his (surely impressive) number of Le Mans wins.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2608498)   #25
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Competition is pretty tough, but each driver has some very convincing arguments (championship victories aside) in their favour (i.e. Johnson - spec series, Schumacher - opponents, Loeb - Differing environments etc etc).

My vote would go to Rossi or Loeb.

Looks like Kristensen has already won over Denmark:
Kristensen athlete of the decade