Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Jun 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2895555)   #51
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
this looks like a great little project, the ACO should be commended, but I'm sure in true ten-tenths style the ACO, deltawing, highcroft, Panoz & AAR will be slammed left right and centre for trying something new.......ffs give me a break......anyway, who has the engine supply deal?.......it sounds like a modern day WRC engine with 1.6L and 300bhp
Old 11 Jun 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2895557)   #52
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hideous looking car. Not a fan at all.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2895565)   #53
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of people here have lost sight of what the ethos of the Le Mans 24 Hours is.

Le Mans was set up to allow manufacturers to advance and develop technology for road cars. It was designed to allow radical and innovative ideas to be put to an extreme test to see of they work.

Le Mans has never lost sight of this objective.

Now look at the Indy 500. That was set up with the same ethos as Le Mans. Now look at it...spec chassis with interchangable bodywork.

If you want stagnant spec racing bereft of innovation, Le Mans isn't the place for you.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 11 Jun 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2895568)   #54
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I very much agree with you johntt, a lot of us have lost sight of that, but this design is barking up the wrong tree, IMHO.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2895589)   #55
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much support the ethos behind the project (light weight, lower power) but I have to say it is pretty ugly....worse than the Aston P1 certainly
Old 11 Jun 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2895716)   #56
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
I think a lot of people here have lost sight of what the ethos of the Le Mans 24 Hours is.

Le Mans was set up to allow manufacturers to advance and develop technology for road cars. It was designed to allow radical and innovative ideas to be put to an extreme test to see of they work.
My sentiments exactly. This is one car doing something different - not a mandate for the entire field to look goofy. I like sportscar racing because of variety, so this just adds to that for me.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2895758)   #57
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I very much agree with you johntt, a lot of us have lost sight of that, but this design is barking up the wrong tree, IMHO.
So far it's just a render, the final car may look more conventional but still apply many of the same ideas.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2895866)   #58
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Car will test in December with twenty two tests planned, according to the designer on Eurosport.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2895878)   #59
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This little car generates so much anger!

I was fortunate to be a fan starting in the late 60's and got to see lots of funky ideas tried out, most of which didn't work. I loved the variety. Auto racing has become quite stagnant in the last few years and I've dropped out as a fan. LeMans will be 90% of my racing viewing this year and I haven't gone to a race in over two years (normally went to three a year). If racing got back to allowing out-of-the-box ideas like this rather than over-specifying everything, I would become a regular fan again.

Kudos to ACO for having a bit of vision, and the DW team for not giving up despite the torrent of negative reaction from traditionalist racing fans.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2897174)   #60
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This thing should be tipped up on its end and launched towards the moon!

DK
Old 12 Jun 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2897182)   #61
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
This thing should be tipped up on its end and launched towards the moon!

DK
Please read my post above and reconsider your opinion.

If you are unable to do that, go and watch Gp2.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 Jun 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2897185)   #62
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this was my favourite of the 2012 Indycar proposals, mainly for its open-source philosophy which would've brought some innovation to a series that could desperately use some. That, and the seven-year-old me thought it looked cool. And still does. Bring it on I say, the more variety on the grid the better. And if it delivers on even half of the claims being made of it, it should be something quite special indeed.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2897195)   #63
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Please read my post above and reconsider your opinion.

If you are unable to do that, go and watch Gp2.
I think the technology that is supposed to be developed by this ethos is technology that should some day wind up in passenger cars, such a seat belts, better headlights, other safety features, diesel engines, etc. You can't even put doors on this thing and it would have trouble making a turn without flipping over like any other trike. Can you see this technology in a passenger car? We are all entitled to our opinions without snide remarks about Gp2.

DK
Old 12 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2897277)   #64
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I think the technology that is supposed to be developed by this ethos is technology that should some day wind up in passenger cars, such a seat belts, better headlights, other safety features, diesel engines, etc. You can't even put doors on this thing and it would have trouble making a turn without flipping over like any other trike. Can you see this technology in a passenger car? We are all entitled to our opinions without snide remarks about Gp2.

DK
It features lightweight composite construction (road relevent) and a low drag design (elements of which can be incorporated into road cars) and a production based engine.

And please, do some research about how it will turn. Look out for something called 'torque vectoring'. Somehow I doubt someone of Bowlby's experience would design a car that can't turn properly. Lets see it run before passing judgement.

Its not a trike, it has four wheels.The front two happen to be very close together.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2897285)   #65
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It features lightweight composite construction (road relevent) and a low drag design (elements of which can be incorporated into road cars) and a production based engine.
None of which is particularly groundbreaking, or interesting. It is a failed project looking for a home, and somehow found it. This does nothing to further the green "cause" that hasn't already been done, isn't a sportscar, at least with the drawings shown. I don't think that what should be the world's greatest race should have a side show, that doesn't achieve anything new, or have a marketing reason.

Hopefully it never ends up racing.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2897309)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
None of which is particularly groundbreaking, or interesting. It is a failed project looking for a home, and somehow found it. This does nothing to further the green "cause" that hasn't already been done, isn't a sportscar, at least with the drawings shown. I don't think that what should be the world's greatest race should have a side show, that doesn't achieve anything new, or have a marketing reason.

Hopefully it never ends up racing.
Motor racing has always been about innovation; Audi and turbo-diesels spring to mind, let it race.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2897311)   #67
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Motor racing has always been about innovation; Audi and turbo-diesels spring to mind, let it race.
I think you missed where I stated this wasn't groundbreaking or interesting (innovative).
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2897312)   #68
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Le Mans is for sportscars! What does a deltawing jet plane design have to do with sportscars? This design should be applied in open wheel racing or single seater racing but not in sportscar racing. This car doesn't fit the sportscar metric is all I'm saying. New technology is a great thing, but you shouldn't be putting a round peg in a square hole. All of the lightweight technology and turbo-diesels can be tried and has been tried in sportscars at Le Mans. We encourage more cars like the turbines, electrics, hybrids, etc., we just don't encourage single-seater designs pretending to be sportscars. IRL should let them race, I would have no problem with that. The banked turns should keep it from turning on its side in the turns.

DK
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2897313)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think you missed where I stated this wasn't groundbreaking or interesting (innovative).
That's your opinion, the thing is some people think it is.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2897315)   #70
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
That's your opinion, the thing is some people think it is.
Ok, so a lightweight formula car, with a stock based engine is ground breaking? Interesting.

The Porsche 918 RSR is ground breaking.

The Oreca Hope is ground breaking.

The Diesels were ground breaking.

Sparky was ground breaking.

The Howmet was ground breaking.

The BRM Turbine was ground breaking.

This thing is none of the above, in my opinion.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2897328)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Ok, so a lightweight formula car, with a stock based engine is ground breaking? Interesting.

The Porsche 918 RSR is ground breaking.

The Oreca Hope is ground breaking.

The Diesels were ground breaking.

Sparky was ground breaking.

The Howmet was ground breaking.

The BRM Turbine was ground breaking.

This thing is none of the above, in my opinion.
You forgot the D-Wing's aero design and the vector steering.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2897365)   #72
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
You forgot the D-Wing's aero design and the vector steering.
The Aero design is nothing new, land speed records, dragsters, streamliners... it's been done before.

So I guess this car has a place on the grid due to the revolutionary vector steering.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2897373)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The Aero design is nothing new, land speed records, dragsters, streamliners... it's been done before.

So I guess this car has a place on the grid due to the revolutionary vector steering.
It's new for a race car designed for racing on a track. I don't remember seeing a car like this on the race track before.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2897402)   #74
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
btw... the Vector steering appears to have been something for Indy only... doesn't appear in the materials for LM that I can see. I can't remember seeing a Semi-truck racing LM either, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2897404)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
btw... the Vector steering appears to have been something for Indy only... doesn't appear in the materials for LM that I can see. I can't remember seeing a Semi-truck racing LM either, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
From what I read, the Vector steering was for road/street courses not ovals.

A Semi at LM; now that would be interesting.