Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Apr 2015, 21:29 (Ref:3523913)   #301
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as midwest goes : What about the new Road Race track in Kentucky " Blue Grass Raceway " ? Have Not been there yet . Putnam park in Ind. Indy cars use to test there . Also I thought there was a fairly new track that was built in Nebraska ?
Old 4 Apr 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3523917)   #302
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
As far as midwest goes : What about the new Road Race track in Kentucky " Blue Grass Raceway " ? Have Not been there yet . Putnam park in Ind. Indy cars use to test there . Also I thought there was a fairly new track that was built in Nebraska ?
Thats the track at NCM.

It would be interesting. doubtful, but, I'm sure it would be good. Nissan has tested there recently.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Apr 2015, 22:36 (Ref:3523924)   #303
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had to check; sometimes the hallucinations are nightmarishly real, and sometimes reality is nightmarish.

IMSA: TUDOR Championship starts 2016 GT3 planning
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11456...6-gt3-planning
"In addition to the TUDOR Championship, IMSA sanctions a number of single-spec sprint racing championships like Porsche GT3 Cup, IMSA Lites, and the Lamborghini Trofeo Cup. With years of experience running sprint racing series, and in deference to the sheer inventory of GT3 cars that can run in sprint or endurance events, Atherton confirmed IMSA will continue to investigate the formation of a GT3 sprint racing series."

Blancpain GT Series to pair with Pirelli World Challenge at COTA in 2016
http://autoweek.com/article/sports-c...enge-cota-2016
"PWC will also race in Italy that year as both series look to make their mark internationally

"The European-based Blancpain GT Series is coming to Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, in 2016.

"WC Vision President and CEO Scott Bove made the announcement on Friday that the Pirelli World Challenge and Blancpain tour will kick off the season at the 3.427-mile, 20-turn circuit on March 4-6, 2016. This event will mark the first time that the two premiere production car-based sports car series will compete on the same weekend. In addition, this partnership invites the Pirelli World Challenge Championships to compete at a Blancpain GT Series event weekend in Italy in 2016, marking the first time the PWC series will compete outside North America in its 26-year history."
Old 5 Apr 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3523947)   #304
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I had to check; sometimes the hallucinations are nightmarishly real, and sometimes reality is nightmarish.

IMSA: TUDOR Championship starts 2016 GT3 planning
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11456...6-gt3-planning
"In addition to the TUDOR Championship, IMSA sanctions a number of single-spec sprint racing championships like Porsche GT3 Cup, IMSA Lites, and the Lamborghini Trofeo Cup. With years of experience running sprint racing series, and in deference to the sheer inventory of GT3 cars that can run in sprint or endurance events, Atherton confirmed IMSA will continue to investigate the formation of a GT3 sprint racing series."

Blancpain GT Series to pair with Pirelli World Challenge at COTA in 2016
http://autoweek.com/article/sports-c...enge-cota-2016
"PWC will also race in Italy that year as both series look to make their mark internationally

"The European-based Blancpain GT Series is coming to Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, in 2016.

"WC Vision President and CEO Scott Bove made the announcement on Friday that the Pirelli World Challenge and Blancpain tour will kick off the season at the 3.427-mile, 20-turn circuit on March 4-6, 2016. This event will mark the first time that the two premiere production car-based sports car series will compete on the same weekend. In addition, this partnership invites the Pirelli World Challenge Championships to compete at a Blancpain GT Series event weekend in Italy in 2016, marking the first time the PWC series will compete outside North America in its 26-year history."
For the PWC folks: Don't try to grow too big too fast. There are enough issues after the St Pete round but if you read that forum thread they know about it after Mr. Till commented on here. For IMSA folks: Don't try a silly idea like a GT3 sprint series. Just make GTD the best it can be by improving on the current TUSC schedule in 2016.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 01:15 (Ref:3523949)   #305
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can I just say that I hate COTA and new series need to look at other tracks...

It's a terrible facility.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 5 Apr 2015, 02:12 (Ref:3523952)   #306
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how this will be different from the PWC version? Will incorporate pitstops, be two races in one event?

We know that IMSA has wanted a sprint series for a long time, originally through Class 1 cars, but I guess there is no interest so now their going with plan B, GT3 cars
Old 5 Apr 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3523958)   #307
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I wonder how this will be different from the PWC version? Will incorporate pitstops, be two races in one event?

We know that IMSA has wanted a sprint series for a long time, originally through Class 1 cars, but I guess there is no interest so now their going with plan B, GT3 cars
I imagine it'll mirror PWC/Blancpain.. It'll likely be a low draw the first year or so like GT3 Cup was...once they realize they have the bigger stage, it'll grow.

NASCAR has the promotional capabilities that PWC doesn't.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3524057)   #308
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I imagine it'll mirror PWC/Blancpain.. It'll likely be a low draw the first year or so like GT3 Cup was...once they realize they have the bigger stage, it'll grow.

NASCAR has the promotional capabilities that PWC doesn't.
I still don't like the idea but if IMSA is nuts enough to go that direction they better shut down some of these support series like iMSA Lites, GT3 Cup, even the Conti Tire series to not spread things too thin entice teams to go run it. But these series are doing ok, don't mess with a good thing. Just make GTD better.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3524077)   #309
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't want to use the "N"-word but ... some have said the Daytona gang wants to control all motor racing in North America ... as a first step.

With the N-money to back it, an IMSA GT3 sprint series could expand beyond what PWC can manage, and eventually squeeze all the competition out of the market.

my question is ... what happened to the major GT-racing overhaul which FIA said was in the works?

I guess FIA was smart enough not to mess with GTE-GT3, which is why it had to vent its pent-up meddling energies on P2.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3524081)   #310
jasonjessica09
Veteran

Quote:
I don't want to use the "N"-word but ... some have said the Daytona gang wants to control all motor racing in North America ... as a first step.

With the N-money to back it, an IMSA GT3 sprint series could expand beyond what PWC can manage, and eventually squeeze all the competition out of the market.

my question is ... what happened to the major GT-racing overhaul which FIA said was in the works?

I guess FIA was smart enough not to mess with GTE-GT3, which is why it had to vent its pent-up meddling energies on P2.
Interesting theory. You think there is a connection with the new WEC LMP2 regs starting in 2017 to the failed GT convergence proposals?
Old 5 Apr 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3524090)   #311
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I still don't like the idea but if IMSA is nuts enough to go that direction they better shut down some of these support series like iMSA Lites, GT3 Cup, even the Conti Tire series to not spread things too thin entice teams to go run it. But these series are doing ok, don't mess with a good thing. Just make GTD better.
I have been very fortunate over the years with John Bishop formulating IMSA to the inclusion of the France family becoming involved . If I had to pick one word to describe our beloved world of Sportscar it would have to be " Balance " Yes there have been mistakes made along the way .But you have to look at the big picture .

There are only so many teams that have the capacity or desire to run the 2 top classes ,as of now DP and P-2 . Does anyone have a guess what the budgets look like to run a full season in those classes ? As far as GTLM class goes to a greater extent that is a MFG class so one can only guess the expenses involved there .As stated above the GTD class is definetaly broken and Needs fixing . Many on here and the Powers that be have decided that GT3 is the way to go . What other Options were available ?

As far as comparing the Conti series with PWC lower classes again it goes to Budgetary plans you have to have a Balance somewhere and hpoefully have in place a system where one day " If funding is available " to have your lower class teams move up to the GTD classes .

So I am in favor of getting rid of the lites classes first . as far as the Ferrari and Lambo series go I have seen a few times where I thought it was interesting and more that a few times that I saw it as a Glorified Track Day . Yet it is an Income producer for the tracks and I don't see them going away any time soon .

If it comes down to TUDOR series vs PWC series War I think the fans would find the Pitstops , Driver Changes , and Team Stradegy more interesting along with running on Known Dedicated Road Race Tracks . As you can tell I'm Not a Big fan of Street Races .

Still can't wait for the LMP3 's to show up "LOL"
Old 5 Apr 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3524096)   #312
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
IMSA Lites can go. That was a good idea that never really went anywhere...It's unfortunate LMP3 came as late as it did. That's what they should have aimed for.

CTSCC provides for some good racing. I will enjoy watching it at the track, sometimes I'll try an catch it on TV. Their grids are monsterous though. If GT3-Sprint happens for IMSA, I could easily see teams bailing out of CTSCC for a pure GT3 series knowing they could still sell seats.

GT3 Cup should stay, and will stay.

For me...a good weekend would be

Mazda MX5 Cup(inc. Skip Barber MX5)
CTSCC
Porsche GT3-Cup
GT3-Sprint
Tudor

We don't need much else, and there is a direct ladder straight to Pro/ProAM sportscar. PWC is going to find themselves in a bit of trouble should IMSA be smart enough to allow cars like the Acura, and Caddy into their version of GT3. And I'm sure both would be happy to homologate with GT3 regs now that the cars are built. Bigger stage, bigger activation, better chance of ROI.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 16:09 (Ref:3524113)   #313
Maelochs
Veteran

I really don't think FIA borked P2 just because they couldn't screw up GTE/GT3—I don't think they need a reason.

As for an IMSA GT3 sprint series ... As with so many of the other support series, I think it would be a popular money-maker, if it stole enough teams from PWC ... not sure there will be a couple dozen GT3 teams actually interested just in an IMSA version of PWC. Depends what PWC can offer.

I think the sprint format is popular because it makes for a lean organization—fewer personnel with no hot pit crew. Less gear, less fuel, less lodging, less food ... and with drivers not sharing cars, probably about eh same amount of track time as a CTSCC Am driver.

CTSCC is just flat-out great racing, and I don't see it ever going away. It seems to be at a good price point/value point for a lot of teams: pit stops, longer races, multiple drivers—and a decent TV package, which has to please sponsors. It's a great farm system, it's a great place for drivers to get extra miles, and there is enough crossover in drivers and teams that for some folks, they will be at the track anyway racing (or hoping to race) in TUSC.

Lites is a Mazda series, part of their sports-car ladder .... Not sure P3 can replace it as a really low-budget downforce sports car series. 240 bhp Mazda inline 4 versus a big V8? Which sounds like a better seat for a 15-year-old who has never driven a car with downforce? Plus I am sure Mazda keeps th motors cheap 9though I confess I don't know.)

I do think it's helpful for young drivers to feel a serious mid-engine, high-dowforce sports car—no amount of time in a sedan is going to prepare them for a sports prototype.

To revise MoMedic's weekend:

Mazda MX5 Cup (inc. Skip Barber MX5)
Lites
Porsche GT3-Cup
GT3-Sprint
CTSCC
Tudor (With P3 replacing PC)
Old 5 Apr 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3524114)   #314
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
CTSCC was good before the Z28.R and Cayman invasion.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3524123)   #315
Maelochs
Veteran

it'll be good again as new cars from new manufacturers counter the Z28 and Cayman. Ford's next Mustang, its GT, maybe a version of the new Acura ... and whatever else each factory offers next.

Can't blame Porsche and Chevy ... everyone else needs to step up their games.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3524125)   #316
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Lites is a Mazda series, part of their sports-car ladder .... Not sure P3 can replace it as a really low-budget downforce sports car series. 240 bhp Mazda inline 4 versus a big V8? Which sounds like a better seat for a 15-year-old who has never driven a car with downforce? Plus I am sure Mazda keeps the motors cheap though I confess I don't know.)

I don't think it's helpful for young drivers to feel a serious mid-engine, high-dowforce sports car—no amount of time in a sedan is going to prepare them for a sports prototype.
While I agree with this general sentiment, I think there are other options. I'd rather see Radical come over from the UK with a series. The Elan chassis is old, and beat..it needs to be refreshed.

It's a cheap series, but, it can be done better.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 16:34 (Ref:3524127)   #317
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Maelochs : You raise a very valid point . No matter how much time you have in Sedan racing it is a whole different world when you enter Proto-Types . Welcome to the wonderful world of Downforce
Old 5 Apr 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3524128)   #318
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Sure would like to see JAG come to the party
Old 5 Apr 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3524193)   #319
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
IMSA Lites always seems to have dense grids, so it won't go anywhere. CTSCC is one if my favourite series and seems fairly stable. One make series I can personally live without, but as long as they're supported by the manufacturers and have grids they won't be going anywhere either.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 22:31 (Ref:3524199)   #320
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
it'll be good again as new cars from new manufacturers counter the Z28 and Cayman. Ford's next Mustang, its GT, maybe a version of the new Acura ... and whatever else each factory offers next.

Can't blame Porsche and Chevy ... everyone else needs to step up their games.
Nope, you can blame whomever is in charge of BoP.

Tell me why the Cayman gets the biggest tires in the ST class?

That, and try and buy a Z28.R, GM won't sell you one.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 22:49 (Ref:3524202)   #321
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Nope, you can blame whomever is in charge of BoP.
For what?

Quote:
Tell me why the Cayman gets the biggest tires in the ST class?
Because it comes with the biggest. BoP doesn't really work well if you make them smaller than stock, and make others larger. Screws with the balance.

Quote:
That, and try and buy a Z28.R, GM won't sell you one.
Odd how a non-GM team(Stevenson)has two. Might have to be willing to pony up for them. P&M doesn't come cheap.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 22:56 (Ref:3524204)   #322
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
For those interested or curious ,I found these available while doing some research . All are at 2015 specs . they can be bought by themselves or collectively . Come on guys losen up the wallets and save some classes LOL .Listed as owned by 8 star motorsports .

2 Imsa Lites Ready to race : $117,000.00 each

2 LMPC cars Ready to race $ 265,000.00 each

1 DP coyote /Pratt Miller $ 319,000.00
Old 5 Apr 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3524207)   #323
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
For what?

Because it comes with the biggest. BoP doesn't really work well if you make them smaller than stock, and make others larger. Screws with the balance.

Odd how a non-GM team(Stevenson)has two. Might have to be willing to pony up for them. P&M doesn't come cheap.
Stevenson is essentially the factory GM team for CTSCC. The team that has the other Z/28.R's had to buy out CKS Autosport because GM wouldn't sell them new cars.

Those things, while absolutely awesome looking, are so far out from what the class should be it's ridiculous.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 23:35 (Ref:3524210)   #324
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Stevenson is essentially the factory GM team for CTSCC. The team that has the other Z/28.R's had to buy out CKS Autosport because GM wouldn't sell them new cars.

Those things, while absolutely awesome looking, are so far out from what the class should be it's ridiculous.
Stevenson in parenthesis was pointing out they were the GM team. Sorry if it wasn't clear. I agree with the rest.

P&M will sell you the car. You just can't compete against their factory efforts...or pseudo factory efforts.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 00:37 (Ref:3524221)   #325
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
IMSA Lites can go. That was a good idea that never really went anywhere...It's unfortunate LMP3 came as late as it did. That's what they should have aimed for.

CTSCC provides for some good racing. I will enjoy watching it at the track, sometimes I'll try an catch it on TV. Their grids are monsterous though. If GT3-Sprint happens for IMSA, I could easily see teams bailing out of CTSCC for a pure GT3 series knowing they could still sell seats.

GT3 Cup should stay, and will stay.

For me...a good weekend would be

Mazda MX5 Cup(inc. Skip Barber MX5)
CTSCC
Porsche GT3-Cup
GT3-Sprint
Tudor

We don't need much else, and there is a direct ladder straight to Pro/ProAM sportscar. PWC is going to find themselves in a bit of trouble should IMSA be smart enough to allow cars like the Acura, and Caddy into their version of GT3. And I'm sure both would be happy to homologate with GT3 regs now that the cars are built. Bigger stage, bigger activation, better chance of ROI.
The biggest advantage I could see to that race weekend lineup, other than personal gain of better cars on track at Petit, is GT3 sprint would not add as many cars to the paddock as adding a rent-a-ride race like Lambo Trofeo (although they made a great noise at Petit last fall) or a AM GT4 race would. You have to think at least some of the top class CTSCC guys would rather run a sprint race with similar 'big' cars and leave the CTSCC to the more touring and tuner cars. Course the SC part of that would have to go but a TC and ST race wouldn't be a bad thing for smaller or newer teams. I would like there still to be an LMP3 styled 'Lites' race but at the expense of the LMPC cars leaving the main show.

They could also use the GT3 sprint series to headline a weekend at smaller tracks with CTSCC and Lites to make up for leaving them out at more space restricted venues if necessary.

The new Caddy ATS-V is a full GT3 car for 2015, or did they just send it over for testing and not request an official homologation for it yet? But I could see it stay PWC and the Camaro be their sprint car of choice with Corvette in the main show. Or the reverse but don't think you'd see official and current season chassis running in both series, maybe older spec cars if they ever get sold off before they are historics.