Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:25 (Ref:3782550)   #51
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They say "it's hard to pass" at every circuit in every series; I don't really put stock in those comments anymore.

I still think Turns 1, 2 and 12 (as I call the hairpin) should be perfectly viable overtaking points. Also, the esses (Turns 3-6) and the run to the hairpin seem likely spots for mistakes, giving the guy behind a good shot at having a go.

And I get the sense that Turns 3-6 are quicker than people were anticipating.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:30 (Ref:3782552)   #52
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not seeing what you're seeing watching the coverage, and nothing personal, but I'll take the reigning champions opinion who just drove the track over yours.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:39 (Ref:3782553)   #53
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
My point is, I hear it SO MUCH everywhere (F1, IndyCar, IMSA, WEC, you name it) that I'm desensitized to it. Furthermore, they damn near ALWAYS find ways to pass at pretty much every circuit even after they make such comments.

Not to mention, this track is hardly Monaco, Pau, or Vila Real.

And I can be pretty darn certain that the drivers were making comments like that about, for instance, Townsville, back before the first event there.

So, I didn't make that comment without reason.

You also know, as well as I do, that practice and the race are two very different things.

Last edited by Purist; 24 Nov 2017 at 03:47.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:49 (Ref:3782555)   #54
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Easy to dive-bomb.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3782556)   #55
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Not to mention, this track is hardly Monaco, Pau, or Vila Real.
Funnily enough, Lowndes called it a 'mini-Monaco' after P1.

Quote:
And I can be pretty darn certain that the drivers were making comments like that about, for instance, Townsville, back before the first event there.
Considering the 'love-in' for this track and its 'spectacular backdrop', I found SVGs comments worthy of discussion.

Quote:
You also know, as well as I do, that practice and the race are two very different things.
I hope you're right and the rigning champion doesnt know what he's talking about, but watching onboard just now of Whincup's lap most of the corners you mention are single line corners where you'd have to make a serious mistake or have shagged tyres to be passed.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3782566)   #56
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
It's not that I doubt that he knows his stuff, but rather, if anything, I might expect him to play some head games about it.

I don't really expect side-by-side at the apex of 1, 2, or 12, but instead, an outbraking maneuver to occur going into those corners.

The esses and the approach to the hairpin look like places where someone could get really unsettled and be easy pickings for the guy behind if he's on it.

That onboard angle, with the camera back deeper inside the cockpit, makes the track look narrower. Funnily enough, seeing the track in action from the external views, it looks wider than I thought it would be from the preview material out there.

Even if there end up being more issues than I think, and safety cars are as prevalent as some say, the field is bound to get shuffled. In that case, the quickest guys will be forced to FIND ways to pass if they want that top result.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3782569)   #57
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Already....

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3782669)   #58
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You weren't the track designer by any chance Purist?
Hard to explain your comments about track otherwise.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3782693)   #59
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
No, but when you see something repeatedly, and in a variety of series, you tend to take notice. There are certain things you come to expect from particular types of corners, for instance.

Also, I'm suspicious that some of the simulation programs, and the assumptions of a lot of people, are based on treating the cars as point particles. The trouble is, you really screw up your sums when you do that. If you're literally right on the bumper of the guy ahead of you, the time gap from the transponders is already indicating a one-car-length difference at whatever speed you're going.

In the case that you're one length behind the guy's bumper for a 45-mph corner, and then on straight, you reach 180 mph, ignoring getting a better exit or the slipstream, that physical gap will grow to seven lengths between your front and his rear. That's why it's not necessarily so great having a slow corner leading onto the main straight. (Obviously, with street circuits, you make the best of what's available to you.)

I was kind of surprised by Whincup's comments though. I mean, it was like he either expected it to be a longer track, or the track was faster than he anticipated, and so the slower corners were coming up quicker than he was thinking.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised to see one of the low shots along the run to the hairpin, which showed decidedly more elevation change on that stretch than I was expecting to be able to see.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3782738)   #60
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I'm not seeing what you're seeing watching the coverage, and nothing personal, but I'll take the reigning champions opinion who just drove the track over yours.
SVG also said he was retiring from the sport several years ago.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 23:22 (Ref:3782744)   #61
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You lot can pick an argument over anything.

Personally I'm loving the track.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 23:22 (Ref:3782745)   #62
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A wheel into the crowd during qualifying for the V8 Utes.

Hopefully everyone is okay.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 23:24 (Ref:3782747)   #63
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
A wheel into the crowd during qualifying for the V8 Utes.

Hopefully everyone is okay.
Presumably from the teammate contact? That was wild.

Ah, looks like the tyre and not the actual wheel thankfully. Hit one person. No serious injuries reported.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 23:58 (Ref:3782758)   #64
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jeez there are some people here today...
And its warm..
And its a LOOOOONG walk to the garages from the outside..
And some signs pointing people to the gate numbers would be lovely..

That said... Newcastle is alive!!

How awesome!
Old 25 Nov 2017, 04:22 (Ref:3782818)   #65
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

They were paraded in a variety of old and newer MG’s.
I wondered if MoPro had made a comeback

Good on Mr Russell soaking up his home town support
Old 25 Nov 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3782820)   #66
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given how the silly season is shaking out, this could well be his last start in the maingame.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 04:40 (Ref:3782822)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Given how the silly season is shaking out, this could well be his last start in the maingame.
Fulltime and probably enduro too...
Old 25 Nov 2017, 04:54 (Ref:3782823)   #68
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It’s done...

Congratulations to Mr McLaughlin, 2017 Champion-elect
Old 25 Nov 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3782824)   #69
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are our chances of seeing an on-track pass amongst drivers in the top half of the field.

Looks like a big crowd, but whats the point if the track doesn't allow any racing?
Old 25 Nov 2017, 06:22 (Ref:3782826)   #70
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assume T8 will spend longer fixing the 888 than it took to fix 88?

3 extra points to Jamie if so.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 25 Nov 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3782828)   #71
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
SdS has done a great job all day too

To be P5 this late in the day on merit not attrition is a credit to her/her team.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 06:52 (Ref:3782833)   #72
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
SdS has done a great job all day too

To be P5 this late in the day on merit not attrition is a credit to her/her team.
Ouch for SDS, great drive though
Old 25 Nov 2017, 06:54 (Ref:3782834)   #73
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
78 points between them.
So Scotty can just race in cruise control tomoz, If Jamie wins, Scotty must come 11th or better
Old 25 Nov 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3782840)   #74
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The circuit is actually breaking up in places...

Repairs are underway now, supervised by Mr Schenken & Mr Baird...

It is in a number of places too..
Old 25 Nov 2017, 08:53 (Ref:3782846)   #75
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Genuine question: why is this happening at so many circuits? They've known this place was going to be a racetrack for two years, how come in the obvious high stress and wear points the bitumen wasn't replaced with proven mixtures?