Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jan 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1814715)   #1
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
car13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Renualt 19 Alan Menus Car

Hi may in wrong section, we have purchased Alan Menus ex touring car we have already bought the complete rear suspension set up some 5 months ago (impulse buy that has paid off)
Menu & Harvey raced the pair we are after info and spec of the cars an pics in action as the car will be rebuilt and be racing in CSCC Tintops series hopefully this year

Cheers

Peter
Old 14 Jan 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1814810)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter Still's site has a couple of photo's of the Renault 19 in action:

http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/gallery/album26

(By couple, I literally mean two)
Old 14 Jan 2007, 17:18 (Ref:1815009)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's great the 19s will once again be racing again. I wonder if there are any other running or complete Class 2 models elsewhere in the world? In Renault's museum? Do they have a Renault museum? Does Frank William keep 1 unit of every car they've built?
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:17 (Ref:1815101)   #4
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams had nothing to do with the 19. They didn't get involved until a few years into the life of the Laguna, and I've heard they buried most of the parts.

Weren't the BTCC 19s converted rally cars, or have I assumed that since it was a rally driver (Ragnotti?) who did most of the testing and development work?
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:35 (Ref:1815122)   #5
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Peter Still's site has a couple of photo's of the Renault 19 in action:

http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/gallery/album26

(By couple, I literally mean two)
I can add more if you want them!

Don't forget this one!

http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...lbum27/431_34w
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1815123)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
Williams had nothing to do with the 19. They didn't get involved until a few years into the life of the Laguna, and I've heard they buried most of the parts.

Weren't the BTCC 19s converted rally cars, or have I assumed that since it was a rally driver (Ragnotti?) who did most of the testing and development work?
No, they were built as touring cars, however, a lot of design influence came from Renault's rally programmes- the 19s were designed and built by Renault Sport in Paris, and I believe the designer came from a rally background.

Ragnotti may well have been in on the testing and development- although he's best known as a rally driver, he also has a lot of racing experience- he's driven sportscars at Le Mans several times, and I think he raced touring cars for Renault in France in the 80s
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1815128)   #7
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for the info. I recall reading an interview with Tim Harvey saying that one of the reasons the car was never that competitive was because the background of the development team was more rallying oriented.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 09:18 (Ref:1815554)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the time the 19 raced, you also had the tire issue; the were different tire-manufacturers active. I don't know if the Michelin-slicks were any good, but the raintires were great. Menu's only racewin whith an 19 i recall was on a soaking wet Donnington, beating a (4x4?) Mondeo.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1815571)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
At the time the 19 raced, you also had the tire issue; the were different tire-manufacturers active. I don't know if the Michelin-slicks were any good, but the raintires were great. Menu's only racewin whith an 19 i recall was on a soaking wet Donnington, beating a (4x4?) Mondeo.
think Renault had 2 wins at Donington that year- both in the wet and the only wins the 19 ever had. The first at the European GP meeting, and I think the second was late-season- there were no Mondeos at the first (didn't appear until mid-season- Pembrey?), but there were at the second- front-wheel drive though, not 4x4- 4x4 Mondeos didn't appear until 1995 and only raced- unsuccessfully- in Germany and Spain, never in the BTCC.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 22:58 (Ref:1816074)   #10
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I have an ex 1995 Alan Menu, Williams Renault Laguna Super Tourer. It has the same rear suspension design as the 19.

The car has no engine or box.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 01:21 (Ref:1816155)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by car13
Hi may in wrong section, we have purchased Alan Menus ex touring car
Tthere is another spare Class 2 Renault 19 chassis being listed on Ebay. I think the sale is over already though? I can't find the Ebay link at the moment. Or did you buy that chassis from Ebay?

Last edited by kmchow; 16 Jan 2007 at 01:24.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 21:15 (Ref:1817909)   #12
Lord X
Rookie

Lord X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 19s were indeed borne out of a rally car with Ragnotti doing much of the development work which was not the right way to go. There were two wins for Renault, one for Harvey and one for Menu and both coming at wet meetings at Donington thanks to the superior Michelin rain tyres (the Mondeos were fwd, not 4x4). End of season the team went and did a French touring car race with the 19 at Nogaro with menu who crashed in qualifying and the shock back through the bulkhead/brake pedal when he hit the wall broke his leg! Renault gave that particular car the send off it deserved by putting it through a car crusher and reducing it to a block of steel.

Very glad you've still got one of them though.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1818673)   #13
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS
I can add more if you want them!

Don't forget this one!

http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...lbum27/431_34w
Thats harveys car repainted from memory as renault swithced to lagunna in 94 from memory.

if you have any other pics from 93 they would be greatly recieved
Old 18 Jan 2007, 19:00 (Ref:1818678)   #14
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
R19

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
We bumped into Harvey at autosport show, he discribed car as a handfull and really only good in wet, the results show that but as a basis for clubman racing it should be supurb. We collect the shell next week from ebay, and have started geting basics together
Old 18 Jan 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1818684)   #15
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
Renault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo
Hi,

I have an ex 1995 Alan Menu, Williams Renault Laguna Super Tourer. It has the same rear suspension design as the 19.

The car has no engine or box.
Is that Michael by any chance, could we have some pictures of the front setup as it may give us a few idea's whats shocks are on the back?
Cheers Pete
Old 18 Jan 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1818891)   #16
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good luck with the car. I've seen it on ebay a few times and thought it was quite sad that it was sitting there as a shell.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1819660)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Good luck with the car. I've seen it on ebay a few times and thought it was quite sad that it was sitting there as a shell.
I believe the car was auctioned off at no reserve, last I recall, the bid was like 250GBP. I can't seem to find the finished or active link now. But for the money, it's nice to have a spare chassis/cage around.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1826295)   #18
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
Update

The car is now in its new home in Wolverhampton, to start the car will be running with a modified williams clio engine with approx 200bhp on stadard induction (a lot less than original) but a good starting point, throttle bodies and ecu upgrades to follow to allow the car to run in CSCC Tintops a standard box is required but the internals are free so a suitable LSD is being sorced. photos to follow