Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Feb 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3030385)   #451
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You never know when it comes to the ACO. I, along with many here hope this is not the case. That is, Porsche waiting till 2015.

If anything, I would love to see Audi, Porsche, and Toyota compete.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3030411)   #452
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Isn't Le Mans and the World Endurance Championship the ACO's show? Why does the FIA get a say in the regulations? I thought the FIA's duty was to "advertise" the WEC, while the ACO basically run the show.
someone on this board mentioned that the aco were creating the regs with the fia since many years, so its not just the aco whos writing the regs.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3030414)   #453
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
someone on this board mentioned that the aco were creating the regs with the fia since many years, so its not just the aco whos writing the regs.
The million dollar question: who creates the ACO regulations? The ACO? The FIA? Or the P1 manufacturers? I'd bet that it's the manufacturers and the manufacturers can't quite agree on a set of rules. One could say that it's the ACO's fault for letting the manufacturers write the rules essentially. Well, that's assuming that there is a problem with the new regulations. It's pure speculation at this point and I'd say the Porsche 2015 rumor is pure speculation too unless Hindy really does know something that we don't. Porsche seems to be revving up their program towards a 2014 go at things, but odd things happen especially when the ACO is involved. Or should I say not involved. Ah, hell, it's both isn't it?!
Old 24 Feb 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3030417)   #454
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
but odd things happen especially when the ACO is involved. Or should I say not involved. Ah, hell, it's both isn't it?!
Odd things in motorsport happen with any kind or identity of governing body.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3030429)   #455
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Odd things in motorsport happen with any kind or identity of governing body.
It depends. NASCAR rules with an iron fist. They aren't going to get bullied by manufacturers. I don't think the manufacturers have as much pull with the IRL either as compared to sports car racing. That leads to a bit more predictability because you know where the series stands on certain issues. This is not to say that things are totally certain, but things seem more chaotic in European manufacturer-centric racing.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3030447)   #456
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It depends. NASCAR rules with an iron fist. They aren't going to get bullied by manufacturers. I don't think the manufacturers have as much pull with the IRL either as compared to sports car racing. That leads to a bit more predictability because you know where the series stands on certain issues. This is not to say that things are totally certain, but things seem more chaotic in European manufacturer-centric racing.
NASCAR and Indy are very much different from sports car racing. NASCAR listens to suggestions made by manufacturers (example: trying to make the cars more road relevant) but NASCAR decides the size of the engines, what fuel is used, what tires, etc. Indycar is basically a spec series, and once again, the manufacturers only care about the engine regs.
However, in sports car racing, there are so many different technologies on the same track that it is near impossible to provide a perfect solution. The ACO lets manufacturers decide the rules because those manufacturers are ultimately the ones investing in their respect programs. They build everything from the chassis to the engine and everything in between.
Chevrolet or Ford don't build NASCAR cars, the teams (like Hendrick and Roush do that). Same applies to Indycar.
Manufacturers are what keep sports car racing alive, and unfortunately, they have to have their way. Now, with Audi, Toyota, Porsche, and possibly Nissan and Peugeot in for 2014, deciding on a set of regulations will be a nightmare. This time I believe it is the duty of the ACO to release a confirmed set of rules before the end of this season in order for manufacturers and privaters to start preparing.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3030451)   #457
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
NASCAR and Indy are very much different from sports car racing. NASCAR listens to suggestions made by manufacturers (example: trying to make the cars more road relevant) but NASCAR decides the size of the engines, what fuel is used, what tires, etc. Indycar is basically a spec series, and once again, the manufacturers only care about the engine regs.
Although this is more or less true, even Indycar/USAC/CART in the past dictated the terms and not the manufacturers in most cases. Of course, things were a bit more confined even in CART than in sports cars in terms of engine type and fuels, but there were still different engine designs and technologies. Manufacturers were involved with the chassis as well. Ferrari built their own Indycar chassis (but never ran it), Porsche had March build them a bespoke chassis, and I believe Alfa's Marches were bespoke as well. Manufacturers generally did not get involved in chassis construction in CART/USAC, but they always could have if they wanted to.

I think the difference is the source of money. In American racing, money is primarily funneled from private sponsors to private teams. Manufacturers are involved in the mix as well, but it's a real "team" effort so to speak. In European racing, it seems to be more of a manufacturer-only focus. I'm not so sure if that's the right way. Manufacturers do dominate in sports car racing on both sides of the pond, but I'm not so sure if that's the way things should be. The new regs are supposed to be quite wide open. Why all the fuss? That is assuming there is a fuss that is. Perhaps a few cheapskate manufacturers are wanting cost controls and others do not?
Old 24 Feb 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3030481)   #458
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Isn't Le Mans and the World Endurance Championship the ACO's show? Why does the FIA get a say in the regulations? I thought the FIA's duty was to "advertise" the WEC, while the ACO basically run the show.
Not sure what is FIA's exact role in the meetings other than some representative(s) being there, but according to this ACO "will be responsible for the sporting, technical, marketing and communications operations" and ACO is also the promoter.

I also see it as a plus that FIA just seems to be more transparent and objective. FIA may be French, but not as French as ACO.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the new regulations do get postponed, considering the relationship between the ACO and FIA.
WEC itself is a proof that the relationship must be better than ever.

Last edited by deggis; 24 Feb 2012 at 17:38.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3037447)   #459
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello dear friends of the forum, I would like to propose to you an idea.

Let's talk to all the contacts we have for designers and others can draw what they think will be the new Porsche LMP1 2014.

People present their designs with a link and at the end of each month the people of the forum vote for best design.

What do you think of the idea ... :-)
Old 9 Mar 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3037611)   #460
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Hello dear friends of the forum, I would like to propose to you an idea.

Let's talk to all the contacts we have for designers and others can draw what they think will be the new Porsche LMP1 2014.

People present their designs with a link and at the end of each month the people of the forum vote for best design.

What do you think of the idea ... :-)
I don't know much about 2014 rules yet, so I've decided to design a Porsche to the current LMP1 rules. It may not look too aerodynamic, but unlike many current cars it has good visibility, so although not from pole it may still win.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3037614)   #461
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
I don't know much about 2014 rules yet, so I've decided to design a Porsche to the current LMP1 rules. It may not look too aerodynamic, but unlike many current cars it has good visibility, so although not from pole it may still win.
Awsome....
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3037615)   #462
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
You kill me with that...
Old 9 Mar 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3037618)   #463
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for sure produces less drag than AMR-one....
Old 9 Mar 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3037641)   #464
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
This being Porsche, the updates come quickly. Now with even less drag - the Evo version
Old 9 Mar 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3037675)   #465
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Upright seating position should help with the visibility issues in some of the newer LMP1 cars. I think they should be able to see over the front fenders just fine!

Richard
Old 13 Apr 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3058343)   #466
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I wonder how this will help their racing cars and those of their VAG compatriots?

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/porsche-buys-nardo/
Old 19 Apr 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3062096)   #467
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
RCE May issue: http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416218491&p=83

Small interview with Durheimer. Some peculiar answers about Audi and Porsche competing (or not) together.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 17:09 (Ref:3062131)   #468
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if Porsche would go back to the ALMS with Penske and Audi would contest the WEC? Hopefully the two makes would face off at Le Mans, though that was not the case with the RS Spyders. The series has been extremely good to Porsche over the last few years and they have to like that commitment.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3062174)   #469
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The article basically alluded to the fact that having both Audi and Porsche in Le Mans is a waste of brand exposure when you consider the other motorsport series they arent actively in like F1. It pretty much said that they will race each other in 2014 but soon enough one of the two teams will go to F1 which is a horrible idea.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3062177)   #470
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
The article basically alluded to the fact that having both Audi and Porsche in Le Mans is a waste of brand exposure when you consider the other motorsport series they arent actively in like F1. It pretty much said that they will race each other in 2014 but soon enough one of the two teams will go to F1 which is a horrible idea.
Interesting they are choosing to go the the F1 route, with the possibility of two GPs in the US.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3062190)   #471
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the fact that they could at least face each other in 2014. That means a new car from both so would make sense to extend that into at least 2015.

You'd hope by that time the series would have been boosted enough to be okay if either leaves.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3062192)   #472
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weren't there rumors saying that Audi wants to go to F1?
Old 19 Apr 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3062217)   #473
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Weren't there rumors saying that Audi wants to go to F1?
I have heard rumors of VAG using the Volkswagen brand since they are not really racing anything right now.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3062233)   #474
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
RCE May issue: http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416218491&p=83

Small interview with Durheimer. Some peculiar answers about Audi and Porsche competing (or not) together.
Link doesn't work for me. The site refuses to load.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 20:42 (Ref:3062268)   #475
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Link doesn't work for me. The site refuses to load.
I thought the same thing, it just took a while to load.