Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 5 Mar 2010, 05:11 (Ref:2645282)   #1051
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
They tried hard and it did not come to fruition for the time being..

It's important to give the benefit of the doubt and easy to make the call when not in the middle of the mess...

I know what I said earlier in this thread I still stand by that...
Old 5 Mar 2010, 07:00 (Ref:2645305)   #1052
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter what the real reasons for the collapse were, from the outside looking in, not knowing all the facts. What happened has been a complete embarrassment.

They were the first to announce their intentions long before anyone else, payed their cash to race (maybe they thought that's all they had to do?) and everything looked good.

I thought some of the people behind the project were held in fairly high regard, but since that first announcement things just got progressively worse.

Tell me again why they passed on Prodrive and Lola???
Old 5 Mar 2010, 09:14 (Ref:2645352)   #1053
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16 View Post
Or rather what due dilligence did the FIA do on all of the new entrants that earmarked USF1 for selection over these two. I think its the answer to that question that's most intriguing.
Old 5 Mar 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2645357)   #1054
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Or rather what due dilligence did the FIA do on all of the new entrants that earmarked USF1 for selection over these two.
The answer is in the name of the team.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 02:20 (Ref:2646439)   #1055
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
They tried hard and it did not come to fruition for the time being..
Who tried hard? The guys on the floor, yes. But the former TV guy who couldn't be bothered to spend time at the shop? The goofball that stood in the way of every bit of progress on the design and build, nitpicking and delaying, contributing nothing of any value? The same "manager" that got the same result (NIL) in his last car build project?

Quote:
It's important to give the benefit of the doubt
Why give fools a break, when all they do is ruin the lives of their employees, who have families to feed?

Quote:
and easy to make the call when not in the middle of the mess...
Then why did so many get this wrong? Besides, if you are a MANAGER, you are PAID TO GET IT RIGHT. (Especially if you give yourself a bloated title, like "Vice President.")

Quote:
I know what I said earlier in this thread I still stand by that...
Ok.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2646511)   #1056
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16 View Post
No matter what the real reasons for the collapse were, from the outside looking in, not knowing all the facts. What happened has been a complete embarrassment.

They were the first to announce their intentions long before anyone else, payed their cash to race (maybe they thought that's all they had to do?) and everything looked good.

I thought some of the people behind the project were held in fairly high regard, but since that first announcement things just got progressively worse.

I'm not entirely sure. I believe they passed on Prodrive straight away because they weren't going to play ball and use Cosworth engines, but I think Lola did state they were going to use Cossies, so who knows why their bid was turned down.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2646629)   #1057
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
maybe Prodrive were passed on because they should have entered before ( 2008 )

hopefully the same will then be applied to USF1 for next year - thanks but no thanks mr Anderson / Windsor!
Old 7 Mar 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2646654)   #1058
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they were starting a corner bakery, small pub, or any other small business I would have given them the benefit of the doubt. They applied and were accepted to compete in the world's most prestigious form of motor sport. They were required to manage and staff up accordingly. They didn't, and ought to be considered failures. Its the big leagues, not some small business. This falls directly on the principals.

Being overly forgiving of gross mismanagement and failure is the only problem I see here.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2646682)   #1059
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Sad to say but from jump I thought this had no chance. The shame of it is that Windsor was such a blowhard about this team representing American this or American that. He has tainted the people here who are fully capable of building a competitive F1 program under the appropriate funding and most importantly, leadership.

The people who bought into this by taking jobs with USF1 are the ones who will really suffer. that's the shame of it and neither Anderson nor Windsor had enough between their legs to go in front of their employees and tell them so. It is not even cowardly to do what they did. It is shameful. Windsor will go on to write a book, deliver commentaries and otherwise make a fine living out of the debacle. Anderson will go back to doing whatever the heck he was doing.

And all the while people will be losing their homes, trying to sort out their lives and trying to figure out how to carry on with USF1 on their CV's.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2646690)   #1060
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
From the first interview with SPEED TV I got the feeling this team was not real, and would not make it to the grid..

Your right it is a terrible state of affairs for all the folks that are now out of work, shameful that Anderson and Windsor were not upfront with them..
Old 7 Mar 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2646953)   #1061
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
From the first interview with SPEED TV I got the feeling this team was not real, and would not make it to the grid
Agreed Jeremy I felt the same way too at the time and like many others voiced my opinion here and elsewhere. Aside from the personalities involved, the entire concept made no sense... and still doesn't. Hopefully the FIA take a close inward look at their due dillegence programme and make some sensible changes for the future in terms of the new team admission assessment.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2652054)   #1062
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
The answer is in the name of the team.
How cynical. But probably true.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 04:56 (Ref:2653217)   #1063
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit more on the denouement of operations at USF1 from tonight's Gordon Kirby article on the F1 season opener...last two parahraphs. Apologies if the news is not fresh, the article is.

I still maintain the belief that Windsor (and Hurley) fell victim to Anderson's sales pitch: blame Mr. Windsor for the foolishness of his trust if you wish, but I don't think the label of "bad actor" belongs on his suit.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no225.html
Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2653563)   #1064
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
None of USF1's workforce was paid for January and February and many of them have received bills for hotel rooms or temporary housing that were supposed to have been paid by USF1.
Ouch. That's a fine how do you do.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2653579)   #1065
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
Ouch. That's a fine how do you do.
A terrible way to drop your staff in it, I think the bad for F1 thing has been overdone (three out of four aint bad overall) but you've gotta feel for people who are treated like that.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2654628)   #1066
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I am sure those employees would win court cases for their wages and not paying those bills (assuming everything has been recorded etc how they should be in business, but of course that is in serious question I imagine).

Having the money to be able to afford the luxury of the "justice" system is another matter, of course.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:59 (Ref:2654647)   #1067
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Having the money to be able to afford the luxury of the "justice" system is another matter, of course.
No profit in winning a court case against someone who has no money.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2654680)   #1068
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was it a limited company/icorpration ?
Old 18 Mar 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2654922)   #1069
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Run to the court and pick-up a store of milk, while you're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony griffiths View Post
was it a limited company/incorporation ?
I think that's come-up in this thread once before Tony, but don't recall. Someone else might. I don't know about the good ole USA, but up here, to the embarrassment of some, an employee's lost wages are pretty far down on the list. That is, of course, if that's what you're on about.

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 18 Mar 2010 at 15:09.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2655953)   #1070
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this accidentally while researching another subject...a bit more news on the status of some good people and the folks they worked for:

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...opic=8&catid=0
Old 19 Mar 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2656084)   #1071
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Found this accidentally while researching another subject...a bit more news on the status of some good people and the folks they worked for:

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...opic=8&catid=0
USF1 should've tried for the 2011 season anyways. I would think that building something as challenging as an F1 racer should take at least a year or so, but that's just my humble opinion.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 02:49 (Ref:2656219)   #1072
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Amar I don't know either, but taking the time to insure the financial stability sure is a necessity.

How you can start a business requiring massive capital investment without having an end game is nutz, IMHO.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2657408)   #1073
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Tub be, or not tub be....

I don't mean to be beating a dead horse, there isn't a lot about contemporary chassis construction that I understand and am hoping to get a clue or two.

If this subject has been covered in another series of posts, please direct me so as there isn't a lot of needless duplication.

So you want to build a composite tub, and you have decided that virtual modeling is accurate enough to eliminate the need for half-scale or full-scale wind tunnel testing.

And you create a buck, pull a mold, and cook your first tub. Did you do that purely as a "test run"? It wasn't done to create a full scale model, and you need one tub for crash testing and four more to start the season....and you need them pretty quick.

There's number one, out of the autoclave and looking like it is ready for assembly. So what happened? Was a material or processing flaw evident, or a design oversight apparent once the first tub is sitting there on the table?

Maybe the engine systems guy walks in and says, "Gee, that looks great, but how do we install the rear bulkhead?" And everybody looks at each other, sends one guy to Starbucks for more coffee, and runs back to the computer lab.

There was talk that the Falcon IndyCar had an un-reported but serious design flaw, and I read somewhere that it had been corrected. That project died when two tubs had been fabricated, and neither was ever crash tested or built into anything more than a mock-up.

Maybe that's what happened to the USF1 tub as well. If there were marginal deficiencies, they still could have finished the first tub and used that for the crash test, right? And made the required alterations to material, process or design and started building race car tubs.

Unless somebody screwed up, that is. Then what you have is a buck and a mold you can't use, and a "test tub" there is no sense in assembling. And you are running out of time, as fast as you are running out of money. There is no car to show a potential driver, or sponsor. Toast, straight from the toaster.

Anybody have some inside info on this? Or informed opinion? It's relevant to me, in that this whole plan of construction technique looks like such a major undertaking. When you have huge resources to acquire the super-computing power for the design work, and an experienced and large staff to get it done...well, obviously you can build a race car using the same method that USF1 tried.

Not so sure how well that works with ten guys in a bunker who have never built a tub before, however. At least not one that ever ran on a track.

Anderson built the Windshear facility, and F1 teams used it for testing. What is wrong with designing a full scale buck, mocking up bulkheads and suspension, and tunnel testing it? When you have your basics covered, pull a mold and start building tubs. Is that too simplistic an overview?

Right now, there are five design teams hoping to construct their new generation of IndyCar tubs. Dallara will have no problem executing the computer modeling and construction, and it's a safe bet that Lola and Swift have the assets and experience in place to do the same.

What about the little guy? Surely they can get the job done, but time would be one of the biggest obstacles for accomplishing the task through the virtual design route. Is that the only method that can be utilized to build a competitive and safe chassis today?

That's why the USF1 failure is a relevant question to me. Delta Wing and BAT say they can pull it off: the former is not a constructor, and claims they can sublet the manufacturing process from the design of their (yet to be completed) prototype. BAT is a team of experts who built winning chassis in the '80's and '90's: not a large manufacturer with contemporary experience. So I wonder in this day, whether the little guy has any shot at building a competitive race car.

Toasters, no problem.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2657429)   #1074
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
How you can start a business requiring massive capital investment without having an end game is nutz, IMHO.
If you are referring to Ken Anderson, he's either a complete incopetant, e.g. the failed Falcon Indy Car project, or he was a con artist. How much did he make out of the USF1 venture?
Old 21 Mar 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2657478)   #1075
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe he makes a living out of this... there are plenty people that does it.