Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Aug 2001, 13:39 (Ref:126606)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who will win the 500?

Ok folks, a few weeks out now, who will win?

Will HRT hose everyone again?
Can one of the locals teams finally come good on home turf??
Can someone else, like Larry come good?
Old 6 Aug 2001, 14:08 (Ref:126624)   #2
Ray Singcar
Rookie

Ray Singcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besnard
Radish
Junior
Ambrose
Old 6 Aug 2001, 21:15 (Ref:126766)   #3
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm out on a limb here

Paul the Rat
Loundes
Skaife
Old 6 Aug 2001, 22:43 (Ref:126814)   #4
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as much as I'd like to say Seton / Richards, I have to go with Lowndes / Crompton or Radisich / whoever he's paired with ... do we know, btw?

as long as it's a FORD team, I'll be a happy bunny
Old 7 Aug 2001, 01:39 (Ref:126889)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think the Rat is teaming with Junior Johnson ..and i would say that have have to be favorites to take this one out ..home track and all...maybe Morris/Neal can spring a surprise...maybe Matt can keep the car straight..who knows ..but its gonna be good ...watch for larry and Russell in this one as well ...could be interesting ...can we get it moved to lakeside instead ????
Old 7 Aug 2001, 02:01 (Ref:126898)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moved to Lakeside?

Fat chance, but what a lovely thought!! ... of course, they can't start a big enough field there...
Old 7 Aug 2001, 02:59 (Ref:126915)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take it back to Sandown, and bring back the Pepsi 250 at oran park, and lakeside would be sweet.

HRT will go good, depends who they are paired with though, if Bright and Skaife are together, odds on, but if they art with Tomas or Longhurst, they ain't as strong. Maybe Johnson/ Radisich will go good, but most others have pretty bad lineups. Crompton's having his first run, crick and White in stone bros with no racing this year, GRM are slow at the moment, and Matt Neal can't run in a new car. between HRT and Johnson/Radisich i say.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 03:53 (Ref:126930)   #8
HoldenAngel
Rookie

HoldenAngel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My money will be on HRT - good record and if Skaife and Bright are paired they will be favorites. I think the DJR boys will be up there if they manage to keep the car on the road.

You sure cant complain about the ticket prices either - $50 for the weekend is a sweet deal.

Will Matt Neal team up with Paul Morris?? If not does anyone know who will be driving with Paul. If he gets a decent co-pilot I think he could be up there.

Be nice to see a finish like last year!
1. HRT
2. Valvoline/Cummins
3. K-Mart
4. Castrol

Edit: Crompton is paired with Lowndes
And to answer my own Q - its Neal and Morris for Big Kev.

Last edited by HoldenAngel; 7 Aug 2001 at 03:55.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 07:53 (Ref:126991)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ray- they could have the 500 at Lakeside, the track density there has been increased to 32, and going by the rule book, there are supposed to only be 32 starters in the 500. Then again, recent things that have been circulated suggest that 36 cars are going to start....
Old 7 Aug 2001, 08:55 (Ref:127008)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok ..cool 36 starters ..sounds good to me..but will it be only 32 at bathurst ??? or are they allowing a capacity grid for the 1000 ???

this 32 car rule sux big time.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 09:56 (Ref:127032)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Umm lets see... me!

Ok, someone else,

like Seton and Cromley

or

Johnson and someone.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 10:45 (Ref:127050)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It'll be a fair few more than 32 at Bathurst, i think it might be 48. 32 starters at Bathurst would probably turn in 6 finishers fairly easily
Old 7 Aug 2001, 13:21 (Ref:127121)   #13
Woody
Rookie

Woody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a quick question Crash test

how many cars started at Bathurst last year and why wasn't pre qualifying enforced more last year???
Old 7 Aug 2001, 13:36 (Ref:127132)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
55 cars started at Bathurst last year, only one car failed to pre-qualify, as many entries were, i guess, scared away at the prospect of having to pre-qualify.

Overall in the series it wasn't used, because there was no 32 car limits on the field, and the fields were the size of the grid capacity. The only place where there was a 32 car limit was at Canberra, because they couldn't fit any more cars in the pit lane.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 11:41 (Ref:131632)   #15
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would like to see Paul Morris from his great round win at Calder park or one holden most likely a H.R.T or L.P. Racer 69 i would have to agree with you about bringing back the Sandown 500 and the Pepsi 250 but lakeside is not big enough to hold an enduro event.One point is that they can't even have pit stops in a race for safety.just take a look at the first round of the ASTC round at lakeside they had pit stops all year round but not at Lakeside.
regards the man
Old 17 Aug 2001, 12:26 (Ref:131644)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The problem with Lakeside was the pit exit, even with cars staying behind the yellow lines, there is some 100km/h speed difference between the cars, with the slower one on the racing line for the kink...
Old 18 Aug 2001, 10:10 (Ref:132071)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am big Ford fan, so I'll say Radisich/Johnson, possibly Lowndes/Crompton. Out of the Holdens, obviously one of the HRT cars, hopefully Longhurst/Mezera.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 20:41 (Ref:132675)   #18
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are 2 big questions facing us all 6 days before the Qld 500.

Who will win ?

How many laps before Matt Neal does something stupid ?
Old 20 Aug 2001, 02:25 (Ref:132862)   #19
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont write of matt neal,he's no dill.how many times has he been in a v8??
mick j
Old 20 Aug 2001, 02:51 (Ref:132867)   #20
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see you are new to these forums and may have missed some of the previous Matt Neal threads.

How many times has Neal Driven a V8 ? Well there was that time at Bathurst when he almost took out Skaife and Crompton whilst being lapped again in Hell Corner - a move that could have affected the outcome of the entire championship.

And also the time at Oran Park a few weeks ago when he wrote off Big Kev's brand new VX Commodore. So would you give him a fair go if you were paying the bills ?

Why he wasn't fired and somebody local like Wayne Wakefield given the drive I don't know.
Old 20 Aug 2001, 06:58 (Ref:132892)   #21
XR_Club
Rookie

XR_Club should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will win the 500?

Well, if Test 'n Tunes are anything to go by (and considering they were running Oran Park 2nd's for practise rubber, that is entirely possible), Steve Ellery's Super Cheap Falcon was over 1/2 second quicker than anyone else last week, and a similar margin in last months all Ford test day. He is consistently one of, if not *the* fastest Ford driver in timed practise, and if a little luck comes his way, in the form of no Dunnydores pushing him off the track ala GMC, Eastern Creek, Hidden Valley and Calder Park - still surely the most obvious infringement not to be penalised this year in V8 Supercars, then I think that Ellery's team stands a damned good chance. Of course everything depends on qualifying, and despite Steve's record of coming back through the field this year, if you qualify outside the Top 10 at Willowbank, you really are behind the 8-ball.
Also, Besnards new Falcon was flying in Testing last week, as was the new 17 DJR car. For mine, the preferred result would be:

1) Steve Ellery / Geoff Brabham - Super Cheap Auto Racing

2) Paul Radisich / Steven Johnson - Dick Johnson Racing

3) Any other Ford team *chuckle* :- )

Again, hope to see you out there .. come to the XR Club display, 3/4 the way down the back straight, just under the Channel 10 camera tower and say Hi! - XR.
Old 22 Aug 2001, 22:32 (Ref:134554)   #22
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this one, but first can
I ask the audience,
phone a friend and
I'll take my 50/50 before I answer.
Old 23 Aug 2001, 00:29 (Ref:134595)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Are you saying that the race is rigged Sevi? Who ya gonna call?
Old 31 Aug 2001, 01:41 (Ref:138779)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Everyone who picked Radish (sp LP...) and Johnson take a bow!

HRT were right there, but they suffered from little dramas that noramally happen to the other competitors...
Old 31 Aug 2001, 06:35 (Ref:138854)   #25
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Thankyou Crash, I do believe I will