Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Dec 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2800326)   #1
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC - Webber had broken shoulder for last 4 races

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9260822.stm

The BBC is reporting that Mark Webber raced with a broken shoulder for the last four races of the season.

Discuss.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2800330)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
This proves that he is harder than JPM.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2800332)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
What?!

How did he do that?

Selby

--

Sorry, just read it.

Mark needs to stay off of them bikes..!
Old 6 Dec 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2800345)   #4
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would coincide with his apparent drop off in form. Perhaps the mistake in Korea was down to the should not being strong enough? The timing would fit in....
Old 6 Dec 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2800351)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
or it could be that he just made a mistake and put it in the wall.....either way its very unfortunate for him, i admire him for not telling anyone or using it as an excuse though
Old 6 Dec 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2800354)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Webber had cortisone injections before the races in Japan and Korea to dull the pain.
Shouldn't he be banned for substance abuse?
Old 6 Dec 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2800357)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I can't even begin to imagine how much pain he must have been in toward the end of some of those races... No wonder he was happy sitting behind the safety car at Korea!!!

Selby
Old 6 Dec 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2800361)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
My opinion of his bravery has just gone through the roof, but I can't help but wonder why he took the chance of riding the mountain bike when there was so much at stake over the next few weeks.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2800363)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I have to agree, strider.

If you're that close to achieving your dream, you're better off sitting at home wrapped in bubble wrap!

But i'm sure there'll be many who disagree and side with the whole 'you could get run over by a bus...' idea.

Selby
Old 6 Dec 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2800364)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Shouldn't he be banned for substance abuse?
I think he can prove they weren't performance enhancing.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2800365)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even if it's on the list, surely it's a theraputic use exemption - he told Gary Hartstein, and presumably WADA (the FIA is a member of WADA).
Old 6 Dec 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2800370)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having suffered a serious shoulder injury myself, I can appreciate the pain he's had to endure He's lucky though that F1 uses power steering as he wouldn't be able to drive a kart or one of the non assisted lower formulae in that state.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2800371)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Does anyone know if it was the shoulder with the chip on?

Sorry, sorry.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2800391)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
My opinion of his bravery has just gone through the roof, but I can't help but wonder why he took the chance of riding the mountain bike when there was so much at stake over the next few weeks.
his tough guy rating is at an all time high for me as well. i suppose it is that you don't change your routine and if this is part of his normal activity (for an adrenaline junkie) then it probably helps him keep both focused and fit between races.

that said, considering he is so unlucky maybe he should rethink his recreational activities.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2800392)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I think he can prove they weren't performance enhancing.
i know lots of athletes take pain killers/cortisone injections to soften the pain and it has never been a problem in any other sport so my guess is it is the same for F1.

although not sure if any of the side effects involve diminished senses or precluded the operation of any heavy machinery which is a caution on most types of serious pain killers though.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2800393)   #16
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber could totally be Rocky Balboa now- He even has the chiseled jaw, the only problem is he's too easy to understand when he talks...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Dec 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2800400)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
his tough guy rating is at an all time high for me as well. i suppose it is that you don't change your routine and if this is part of his normal activity (for an adrenaline junkie) then it probably helps him keep both focused and fit between races.

that said, considering he is so unlucky maybe he should rethink his recreational activities.
I see what you mean, except autosport.com has the story now and it was apparently the first time he had been on a mountain bike since his major crash, which makes it even harder for me to understand. If it has been part of his regular training throughout the season, that's one thing, but...

It still feel bloody sorry for the guy, though.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2800446)   #18
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't help but feel sorry for him - and admire him too at the same time.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2800464)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It doesn't mean he was riding hard though. It may have just been a doddle through some wood s or something. The guy in front of him came off and Webber had no where to go.

If you took no risks you wouldn't get of bed in the morning...although staying in bed might be a risk too....
Old 6 Dec 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2800476)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
It doesn't mean he was riding hard though. It may have just been a doddle through some wood s or something.
Ooohh errr missus
Old 6 Dec 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2800480)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
It doesn't mean he was riding hard though. It may have just been a doddle through some woods or something. The guy in front of him came off and Webber had no where to go.

If you took no risks you wouldn't get of bed in the morning...although staying in bed might be a risk too....
I'm not criticising Mark for the reasons you mention and because I have a great deal of respect for him, just acting as devil's advocate if you like. It can't have been a simple doddle through the woods, though, because his mate fell off!
Old 6 Dec 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2800484)   #22
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im of two minds....as a life long cyclist, I can see how things happen, but at the same time especially given it was his first time out on a bike, he should have left more room between him and his pal. I should reconsider as I was not there, and it was most likely bad luck and bad timing on his friends part to have on off just then....

I was really really hoping he would get it, the championship, and I am sure that he is pretty ****ed off at himself for what happened, as one would think that it affected him slightly and at that level, and espeically given the situation of being right in there for the top prize...he sure as hell didnt need that.

gotta hand it to him that he didnt moan about it. Betcha his mate feels badly about the whole thing, but one cant change what happened, and that is probably Webbers take on it. He seems like that sort of fellow.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2800491)   #23
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least it wasn't hand gliding like Patrick Depailler. Seriously though you can't wrap yourself in cotton wool, JB is a regular participant in Triathlons and it would be very easy to pick up an injury doing one.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2800494)   #24
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Redbull will be buying him a new bike for christmas, its the best way that redbull can come up with to get rid of their fast old boy so wunderkid can continue without hindrence!
Old 6 Dec 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2800495)   #25
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was the footage of him nearly cleaning up Martin Brundle in Singapore on a mountain bike filmed this year or last?