Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Feb 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2833491)   #26
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
In the past I believed the Peter Brock Ford Sierra team was Advantage Racing, only to find out that that name was only coined around late 1991/early 1992. If I know my Australian touring car scene Peter Brock was effectively his own boss from the forming of the Holden Dealer Team for the 1980 season, no matter what name the team bore.
The team raced under the HDT banner until the 1987 spilt with Holden after which it raced as Mobil 1 Racing. When Brock returned to racing Holdens in 1991 the preparation of the cars was contracted to Perkins Engineering so there would have been less Brock employees involved than previous years.

When Brock and Perkins went their own ways at the end of 1991 the hardware passed to Advantage Racing, a subsidiary of sports management and marketing company Advantage International. The team closed at the end of 1993 with Brock and Mobil moving to Tom Walkinshaw’s HRT in 1994.

While the outward impression was always that it was Brock's team, I recall that Alan Gow was a shareholder in the late 80s prior to him heading to the UK and not sure what the Advantage International arrangement was.
Old 18 Feb 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2833549)   #27
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the entry list for the opening 1988 ATCC round, i have the Brock M3's entered under HDT Racing P/L ... so the "Mobil 1 Racing" banner was probably adopted during the season. Advantage must have had an ownership of some sort in the '92/'93 team, as Frazer wanted to go it alone after Brock left for HRT... didn't come to fruition though of course.

About the Nissan team at Symmons, the reason only Richards ran was that the team was on skeleton staff at the meeting, with team members left at home to concentrate on the building of the GTR. Skaife was at Symmons though, turning some laps practice (source: The Great Race 1990/91)
Old 19 Feb 2011, 04:04 (Ref:2833610)   #28
htc
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
htc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hE9HYd8qg

After the beating by Jim Richards and Nissan on the tight confines of Amaroo, the Ford Sierras could unleash their mighty horsepower on the blast around the windy wide open spaces of Symmons Plains in Tasmania. From pole position Peter Brock looked as he had a firm grip on the race, but late in the day he had to relinquish the lead to Dick Johnson. After several laps of pressuring Brock Johnson finally blasted by on the long righthander opposite the pit. The battle for the lead allowed John Bowe to close up, but never became a threat for Peter Brock in second. Bowe on his hand had the attention of Glenn Seton from behind before finishing third and fourth respectively. Two more Sierras made it a Ford 1-6 in the second Mobil car of Andrew Miedecke and Colin Bond in the sole Caltex version. Only then came first round winner Jim Richards as the only official Nissan driver of the weekend, Mark Skaife missing this round.
Gregg Hansford finished a lonely 8th from the Holdens of Win Percy and Larry Perkins, the privateer being the first lapped finisher. The two B&H Sierras of Tony Longhurst and Alan Jones only featured shortly in this race. Jones was a pit caller on the first lap for new tyres eventually finishing 12th, while Longhurst held second behind Brock before his engine let go.

This left defending champion Dick Johnson in the points lead with 32 from team mate John Bowe at 27 and Jim Richards at 24. Another two weeks would commence before the competitors would make an ATCC comeback at Victoria's Phillip Island.

Dick Johnson hounding Peter Brock for the lead reminded me of Jim Richards working Peter Brock during the 1987-race, but the final pass was reminiscent of Johnson passing Brock on the opening lap of Bathurst '89.

A third Brock RS500 was in the hands of Tony Noske. I have only seen a small b/w picture of this car running a seperate paint scheme from the Mobil cars of Brock and Andrew Miedecke. The car was entered under the 'The Brock Racing Team' name. In the past I believed the Peter Brock Ford Sierra team was Advantage Racing, only to find out that that name was only coined around late 1991/early 1992. If I know my Australian touring car scene Peter Brock was effectively his own boss from the forming of the Holden Dealer Team for the 1980 season, no matter what name the team bore.

Six Toyota Corollas started, the class dominating John Faulkner car an AE92, the cars of David Sala, Alf Grant and Phil Alexander being the older AE82s and finally two rwd AE86s for Geoff Full and Matthew Springer. Somehow I suspect the Grant, Alexander and Springer cars were all Bob Holden owned cars, but what do the local experts say?

Mark Skaife missed this race, but I don't know exactly why. I half remember it being down to an engine failure during testing at Amaroo, but also a shunt was involved. An engine change would be relatively easy, while a crash would be the more likely reason for Skaife not racing at Symmons Plains.

Jesper
the Alexander and Grant Corollas were the cars Bob got from England and the Springer car was Bob's 2nd Sprinter
Old 19 Feb 2011, 05:13 (Ref:2833621)   #29
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc View Post
the Alexander and Grant Corollas were the cars Bob got from England and the Springer car was Bob's 2nd Sprinter
I am aware off that the Phil Dowsett TOM'S Corolla went to Bob Holden, but two other AE82s raced during the 1989 BTCC; Les Liddiard and Tony Dolley. Which of those two cars went to Australia?

Jesper
Old 19 Feb 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2833625)   #30
htc
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Quote:
I am aware off that the Phil Dowsett TOM'S Corolla went to Bob Holden, but two other AE82s raced during the 1989 BTCC; Les Liddiard and Tony Dolley. Which of those two cars went to Australia?

Jesper
I'm not to sure but I think Bob got 2 TOMS cars
Old 19 Feb 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2833750)   #31
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:

Jesper
Quote:
I'm not to sure but I think Bob got 2 TOMS cars
Bob bought two ex-TOMS AE82s from England.

The only other AE82s to race in Australia were the TTA cars, one of which they sold to Sala at the right price to get him out of the hard to beat Gazelle. Sala later sold that car to Brad Stratton who raced it for many years and then sold it to Peter Herlihen a couple of years ago. Peter has now restored that car to it's TTA specification & livery. Scott King owns the other TTA AE82, it is immaculately restored.

Bob still owns & races one of his TOM's AE82s, the other is owned by Terry O'Beirne and is currently up for sale. They are not restored and both in original condition.

I bought Bob's second AE86 from Terry O'Beirne in 2007 and completed a ground up restoration two weeks ago. The 1990 ATCC round at Symmons Plains was the only time Matt Springer raced the car.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2837904)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Jesper
I'm not 100pc sure but I believe Tom's at one point had 2 cars based in Norfolk. One was the car debuted mid 1987 by Tiff Needell and Dowsett and another car that was run at Spa and places like that, which may have been built in 1988.

The Liddiard & Dolley cars were private but shells/parts may well have been sourced from Tom's.

IIRC, one or both of those privateers continued racing their cars in UK Club Mod Prods into the early 90's so may not have gone to Australia?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2837948)   #33
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm not 100pc sure but I believe Tom's at one point had 2 cars based in Norfolk. One was the car debuted mid 1987 by Tiff Needell and Dowsett and another car that was run at Spa and places like that, which may have been built in 1988.

The Liddiard & Dolley cars were private but shells/parts may well have been sourced from Tom's.

IIRC, one or both of those privateers continued racing their cars in UK Club Mod Prods into the early 90's so may not have gone to Australia?
I can't remember how many TOM'S cars there were: The TOM'S GB car debuted at Spa in '87 (Dowsett/Needell/Sekiya), then did a couple of late-season BTCC rounds and the TT. There was a second TOM'S car at Spa, but it was a Japanese-crewed rwd AE86 (in Leyton House colours IIRC) which presumably went back home to Japan.
TOM'S GB then ran Dowsett in a fwd Corolla for a full BTCC season, plus the TT. I don't know if it was the same car throughout, or two cars

After TOM'S ended their involvement with the Corolla, Dowsett ran them as a privateer for the 1989 season- From about mid-season, a new operation was set up called Rayscar, which ran Dowsett's ex-TOM'S Corolla, and Les Liddiard's car. According to an Autosport piece mentioned in the 1989 BTCC thread, Rayscar was a partnership between Liddiard, Ray Selley and Tony Matthews (both ex-TOM'S GB IIRC), and apparently had plans to run an ex-MIL Supra for Dowsett in 1990

I don't think I remember any definite suggestion that the Liddiard car was of TOM'S origin, but as you say, they may well have sourced parts or a shell from that direction. Could Les Liddiard's car have been the second one to go to Australia?

Tony Dolley's name rings a vague bell in connection with ModProds in the early 90's, so maybe his car ended up there?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2837993)   #34
Jesper OH
Veteran

Now you, KA and chunterer, mention a second TOM'S GB-based AE82 I recollect that a Japanese crewed blue Bijø sponsored car appeared for the 24 hours of Spa 1988. If I'm not totally off that race collided with a BTCC round, and with Phil Dowsett in the running for the '88 BTCC title, it's likely a second car was needed for Spa.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-07-31-139.jpg

Jesper
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2838011)   #35
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Now you, KA and chunterer, mention a second TOM'S GB-based AE82 I recollect that a Japanese crewed blue Bijø sponsored car appeared for the 24 hours of Spa 1988. If I'm not totally off that race collided with a BTCC round, and with Phil Dowsett in the running for the '88 BTCC title, it's likely a second car was needed for Spa.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-07-31-139.jpg

Jesper
Was that a TOM'S GB entry or a car from Japan? I honestly don't know whether the TOM'S GB operation had more than one car or not...
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2838018)   #36
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Was that a TOM'S GB entry or a car from Japan? I honestly don't know whether the TOM'S GB operation had more than one car or not...
I think this car was more or less straight from the Japanese series including decals, but that is merely a hunch. By 1988 the new AE92 Corolla was making its debut in the very competitive Japanese series, so the older AE82 would have been a cast away by the time of Spa '88.

Jesper
Old 26 Sep 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2961169)   #37
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember watching some of these races as a kid. However, outside the C7 telecast I had no idea of what was going on and could not put performances in perspective (wasn't buying magazines then). Some years ago, Motor Racing Australia produced this season as one of their "retro race" articles, explaining the strengths and weaknesses of the Skyline against the Sierra's and how Gibson Motosport and Richards went about their tactics for particular races. It would definitely be one of the better ATCC's won, wouldn't it? (not that I know about all seasons). Of all of his achievements, I wonder how Richards ranks this win?
Old 28 Dec 2011, 05:32 (Ref:3004711)   #38
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the circumstance of Ken Matthews one-off appearance at Phillip Island.

Was this in the same car he raced in 1989?

It was also odd that B&H ran a third car for Neville Crichton in WA.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3007578)   #39
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken Matthews ran his car from the previous year which was originally the 1988 Bathurst winner in Longhursts hands before he took all the good bits off and sold it Ken
Old 6 Jun 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3416022)   #40
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Ray Lintott had campaigned a Sierra with Valvoline sponsorship during 1990. It was an ex DJR car with assistance from DJR. Which car was it? I have always wondered if it was a brand new vehicle or on old one they had on sold
Old 6 Jun 2014, 04:45 (Ref:3416031)   #41
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the story at the time was that it was brand new.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3416089)   #42
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Ray Lintott had campaigned a Sierra with Valvoline sponsorship during 1990. It was an ex DJR car with assistance from DJR. Which car was it? I have always wondered if it was a brand new vehicle or on old one they had on sold
It was DJR3, the 1988 ATCC winner, and the car that DJR took to the Silverstone TT in 1988. The car became Bowe's for 1989, before being sold to Lintott for 1990.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3416457)   #43
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
It was DJR3, the 1988 ATCC winner, and the car that DJR took to the Silverstone TT in 1988. The car became Bowe's for 1989, before being sold to Lintott for 1990.
Thanks
Old 7 Jun 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3416477)   #44
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unusual to see a BMW 635 (Carrig), Ford Mustang (Nelson) and Rover Vitesse (Herbert) competing in 1990, when they were no longer truly competitive. When did the homologation run out for these cars?
Old 7 Jun 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3416539)   #45
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
The 635CSI was raced up until 1992 I think. If the manufacturer keeps renewing the Homologation like Toyota did with the AE86 Sprinter then it doesn't run out
Old 16 Jul 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3434616)   #46
Jesper OH
Veteran

The Rover was on it's last legs in term of homologation in 1990, as it lapsed at the end of the year. The 635 was group A legal to the end of 1993, when the whole category was more or less obsolete, while the newer of two Ford Mustang homologations survived the BMW by two years.

Jesper
Old 5 Oct 2017, 03:17 (Ref:3771941)   #47
Holden308
Rookie

Holden308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1990 was probably one of, if not the most competitive of the Group A and Group C years in Australia.

At any given race any of the top teams could win (some obviously would need luck in the ATCC. The Holden's weren't really a factor in that). Johnson & Bowe, Brock & Miedecke, Seton & Fury, Bond, Longhurst & Jones in the Fords, Gibbo's boys in the Nissan's and even Pommy Percy and Larry Perkins in the V8 Commodore's were a chance. Yes the ATCC was still a turbo benefit and no one really expected anything different, but the Commodore's were coming on strong and a full season of development on the race track would finally see the Walkinshaw VL as a force come the late season enduros.

The Sierra's were probably at the peak of their development, before 1992's CAMS enforced 7,500 rev limit showed them that there was an alternative path to fast lap times other than outright horsepower. The HR31 Skyline was similar in that it was at the peak of its development in 1990 and in Jimmy Richards, Nissan had just the right driver to exploit it. And of course Nissan had the better than anything else GT-R waiting to be unleashed mid-season.

And for the first time since Perkins ran his team under the HSV banner in 1988, there was a factory Holden team on the grid with Win Percy running the newly formed HRT and doing the driving. A Pom running an Australian factory backed team that was owned by a Scotsman took a bit of getting used to for those who grew up worshiping Brocky and the HDT. But I think most Holden fans were just happy that they had a V8 Commodore or two to cheer for after two years of domination by that blue oval mob.

Here is a bit of interesting information regarding the 1990 Tooheys 1000. Some of you might already know, but some who read this might not be aware that Fred Gibson's team pulled a very VERY illegal swifty the night before the race.....

I don't know what the actual problem was, but late on the Saturday afternoon the team discovered something very wrong with the brand new GT-R that Richo had qualified 11th. It was actually enough that the car simply could not race and there was nowhere near enough time to fix the problem. There remained 2 solutions. Scratch the car which was undesirable as the boss of NISMO (Mr Aoki) was at Bathurst to see the car in action. Or they could do something totally illegal and race a completely different car, but they had to make sure they got away with it. So, under the cover of darkness that night the team swapped everything they could....including Seven's racecam unit and the compliance plates, and put it all into the spare GT-R which was the one Skaife had debuted at Mallala earlier in the year. The ATCC car masquerading as the new car lined up on the grid the next morning with Richo ready to storm to the lead and put the fear of God into the Sierra's and no one knew anything about what had gone on the night before.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3772027)   #48
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden308 View Post
Scratch the car which was undesirable as the boss of NISMO (Mr Aoki) was at Bathurst to see the car in action. Or they could do something totally illegal and race a completely different car, but they had to make sure they got away with it.
That would be Mr Kazuo HIOKI.

So, what was the *big problem* with the original car?
Old 25 Nov 2017, 02:52 (Ref:3782800)   #49
Holden308
Rookie

Holden308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZR View Post
That would be Mr Kazuo HIOKI.

So, what was the *big problem* with the original car?
Thanks for the clarification

As to the problem, I honestly don't know what it was but it was big enough to have Gibbo's team do what they did. The story is true though and the car they raced was not the car that had qualified.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3852630)   #50
htc
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
1990 Shell Ultra Australian Touring Car Championship
Round 5 - Lakeside, QLD (6/5/1990)

Circuit Length: 2.41 km
Race Duration: 50 minutes (54 laps)
Weather: Sunny

PositionNumberEntrantDriverCarClassRace Time/LapsRetirement CauseFastest TimeQualifying TimeGrid Position
18Caltex CXT RacingColin BondFord Sierra Cosworth RS500150m41.06s 0m55.03s0m54.52s9
205Mobil 1 RacingPeter BrockFord Sierra Cosworth RS500150m52.33s 0m55.55s0m54.93s13
316Holden Racing TeamWin PercyHolden Commodore VL (TWR)151m04.48s 0m55.38s0m54.65s12
418Shell Ultra Hi RacingJohn BoweFord Sierra Cosworth RS500151m06.65s 0m54.90s0m54.00s4
52Nissan Motor SportJim RichardsNissan Skyline GTS-R HR-31151m20.15s 0m55.40s0m54.46s8
63Nissan Motor SportMark SkaifeNissan Skyline GTS-R HR-31151m20.83s 0m54.96s0m54.37s6
717Shell Ultra Hi RacingDick JohnsonFord Sierra Cosworth RS500151m31.20s 0m54.40s0m53.76s2
825Benson & Hedges RacingTony LonghurstFord Sierra Cosworth RS500153 laps 0m54.66s0m53.71s1
930Glenn Seton Racing P/LGlenn SetonFord Sierra Cosworth RS500153 laps 0m55.13s0m54.58s10
1023Beaurepaires MotorsportChris LambdenNissan Skyline GTS-R HR-31153 laps 0m57.06s0m56.28s15
116Mobil 1 RacingAndrew MiedeckeFord Sierra Cosworth RS500153 laps 0m55.74s0m55.11s14
1215Toyota Team AustraliaJohn SmithToyota Supra Turbo MA70152 laps 0m56.83s0m56.44s16
1332Lansvale Smash Repairs P/LSteve ReedHolden Commodore VL (HDT)152 laps 0m57.22s0m57.07s18
1411Perkins MotorsportLarry PerkinsHolden Commodore VL (TWR)152 laps 0m55.36s0m54.39s7
1527Foodtown SupermarketsTerry FinniganHolden Commodore VL (TWR)152 laps 0m57.07s0m57.78s21
1645Lester SmerdonLester SmerdonHolden Commodore VL (TWR)151 laps 0m58.84s0m58.76s22
1724Jagparts RacingGerald KayHolden Commodore VL (TWR)149 laps 0m57.40s0m57.12s19
1878Big Toys MotorsportGeoff FullToyota Corolla349 laps 1m00.96s1m01.20s26
1974Alf Grant RacingTim GrantToyota Corolla349 laps 1m01.12s1m00.83s25
20  Mike TwigdenBMW 323i248 laps 1m02.09s1m02.30s27
2171Toyota Team AustraliaJohn FaulknerToyota Corolla344 laps 0m59.76s0m59.08s23
2221Bob Forbes Corporation P/LMark GibbsHolden Commodore VL (TWR)143 laps 0m55.37s0m54.63s11
DNF20Benson & Hedges RacingAlan JonesFord Sierra Cosworth RS500123 lapsradiator0m55.03s0m53.97s3
DNF13Bob Holden MotorsBob HoldenToyota Corolla31 lap 1m22.14s1m03.50s28
DNF55Playscape RacingKevin WaldockFord Sierra Cosworth RS50010 lapsaccidentNTR0m56.45s17
DNF19Phil Ward Team Monroe AustraliaPhil WardMercedes-Benz 190E-1620 lapsaccident damageNTR0m57.36s20
DNF36 Maurie PickeringHolden Commodore VK10 laps NTR0m59.73s24
EXC9Allan Moffat EnterprisesGregg HansfordFord Sierra Cosworth RS500153 lapsDNC last lap0m55.01s0m54.15s5
DNQ12Valvoline (Aust) P/LRay LintottFord Sierra Cosworth RS5001 practice accident   
DNQ35Glenn Seton Racing P/LDrew PriceFord Sierra Cosworth RS5001 practice accident   
DNP76Bob Holden MotorsPhil CromptonToyota Corolla AE86 Liftback3 engine   

Bob Holden raced the No.76 Toyota Sprinter at Lakeside as his normal car was on the boat to Europe for the Nurburgring 24Hr and Spa 24Hr races.