Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 3 Jun 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3257054)   #51
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
peanuts and monkeys as has been said.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3257327)   #52
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member CCC View Post
The reality of promoting Motorsport in NZ may come home to roost.
My info tells me it was a very average paying crowd at Puke and certainly won't pay the bills
The way that see it is Motorsport is in a very sad state in this country and you have to ask the question why?
Too much competition for the leisure dollar.
Lack lustre support grids.
Poor viewing experiences over the years - once lost, spectators are gone.
Too many one make races (and I include all current V8 classes purporting to be Holden vs Ford.)
Lack of genuine Kiwi built one offs to inspire the crowd.
Tiny grids at the top level - including this last weekend.
The days of a swag of current F1 stars (and cars) visiting for the summer are long gone.
Lack of media coverage (in all motorsports).
Too many safety cars/delays.
Too much time with either blank tarseal between races to look at or cars out of sight.
Catch fences/concrete walls/bridges spoiling the view.
Not being able to walk right around the whole track, either inside or outside.
Too few camera friendly positions (Pukekohe/Taupo/Manfeild)
Lack of disposable cash now - particularly with the baby boomer age group now on pensions.
Other forms of motorsport are probably more entertainlng to the less committed - Speedway, Stock cars, Drifting etc.

Need I go on?

The days of huge numbers of spectators is well gone and it would take a minor miracle to get them back, so we are going to have to live with the fact that for 99% of meetings, crowd numbers will not be huge.

Oh, and more TV coverage of several types of racing over multiple channels is a far cry from the days of just 1 TV Channel, so TV coverage may be a double edged sword...
Old 3 Jun 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3257330)   #53
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yep. Although I would think the promoters would have been pretty pleased with paying numbers on that last weekend, given that the members' stand was fairly well packed! That $45 including lunch was a great deal, hope they do that again!
Old 3 Jun 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3257358)   #54
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too watched the coverage on Sunday, and in all honesty I didn't think it was that bad, but I am easily pleased when it comes to most coverage.

Some positives:
- Same commentary. those guys do a great job and are passionate
- Loved the bit on the chassis design and chat with Paul C
- Most of the in-car seems to have been retained
- Reasonable interviews with podium winners
- I liked to bit about the track upgrades, very similar to what Larko and Skaife did for the ITM400. That buzzy-bee camera that kept floating overhead cracked me up and I thought that might have led to something, but it didn't.

Some negatives:
- Camera angles were a bit naff......and I am not a tech head when it comes to things like that, so for me to notice says a lot
- Audio sync left a lot to be desired
- Camera Quality is just not as good as TV3 production
- Still no telemetry graphic in-car. Should be easy to do this post event

All in all though I give it a 6/10, compared to 8/10 for previous coverage.

I too wondered why they did highlights of previous rounds. Was this a filler, or was this TV3 showing off what they used to do for the ST's??
Old 4 Jun 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3257382)   #55
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Was this a filler, or was this TV3 showing off what they used to do for the ST's??
To me it seemed like a last-minute way to try fill the time-slot. Especially given that it wasn't even a proper 'highlights' reel.

I heard numerous times over the race weekend, and have heard a few times since, that they hope to get a replacement producer in for the following round/s. While I wouldn't shout from the rooftops about last seasons coverage, it was five times the quality of what presented was last weekend.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 00:34 (Ref:3257393)   #56
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Well in that case then, they should have done what they used to do and show the V8CC races from the same round. That way the CC guys get some exposure as well in a premium time slot.

I hope your right about the new producer HP but as I say, I still quite enjoyed it. It was no way near as painful as the NZV8 coverage which just made you cringe.....
Old 4 Jun 2013, 02:07 (Ref:3257412)   #57
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
curious.. no complaints about poor driving.. just complaints about poor editing
Old 4 Jun 2013, 03:27 (Ref:3257427)   #58
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Why would anyone complain about poor driving? Apart from the drivers.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3257429)   #59
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Interesting you say that PM, as I had made comment of that exact issue in the Puke thread
Old 4 Jun 2013, 04:08 (Ref:3257433)   #60
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
I too watched the coverage on Sunday, and in all honesty I didn't think it was that bad, but I am easily pleased when it comes to most coverage.

Some positives:
- Same commentary. those guys do a great job and are passionate
- Loved the bit on the chassis design and chat with Paul C
- Most of the in-car seems to have been retained
- Reasonable interviews with podium winners
- I liked to bit about the track upgrades, very similar to what Larko and Skaife did for the ITM400. That buzzy-bee camera that kept floating overhead cracked me up and I thought that might have led to something, but it didn't.

Some negatives:
- Camera angles were a bit naff......and I am not a tech head when it comes to things like that, so for me to notice says a lot
- Audio sync left a lot to be desired
- Camera Quality is just not as good as TV3 production
- Still no telemetry graphic in-car. Should be easy to do this post event

All in all though I give it a 6/10, compared to 8/10 for previous coverage.

I too wondered why they did highlights of previous rounds. Was this a filler, or was this TV3 showing off what they used to do for the ST's??
Hi NZST,

Just to clarify one point, TV3 never produced or edited any V8ST footage it was all done by Perspective Group, [David Turner] for and on behalf of V8ST.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 04:23 (Ref:3257435)   #61
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Fair enough Mark, for some reason I thought it was all done in-house at TV3.

Anyway, you said you were going to watch it on-demand. What were your thoughts on the TV package?
Old 4 Jun 2013, 05:41 (Ref:3257447)   #62
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched it to and thought it was a pretty average show, some basic mistakes.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3257465)   #63
Member CCC
Rookie

Member CCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find that the ST show from Pukekohe was so average that TV3 won't put it on demand. Amazes me that Mark didn't make the effort to check out the coverage of their new TV production company considering his investment in the class!
Old 4 Jun 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3257481)   #64
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
I think you will find that the ST show from Pukekohe was so average that TV3 won't put it on demand. Amazes me that Mark didn't make the effort to check out the coverage of their new TV production company considering his investment in the class!
Considering Mark has no shareholdings in the class, why would he care what the new guy is doing.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 08:31 (Ref:3257500)   #65
Member CCC
Rookie

Member CCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Considering Mark has no shareholdings in the class, why would he care what the new guy is doing.
Probably something to do with the time and money that he has spent getting the class going. You would think he would care!
Old 4 Jun 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3257504)   #66
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd be willing to bet his wallet has not hurt from the venture. And is still benifiting from it
Old 4 Jun 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3257507)   #67
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Probably something to do with the time and money that he has spent getting the class going. You would think he would care!
It was not just him that started it.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3257509)   #68
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
I'd be willing to bet his wallet has not hurt from the venture. And is still benifiting from it
Not wrong autoquip this and that as controlled supplier.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3257542)   #69
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it was not just Mark who started ST, but he was the main driver behind it. The money? I think if you added up the hours Mark put in he may have made more money working at McD's with you guys.
I can't think of anyone in motorsport in this country that could have pulled off what Mark has. But I'm sure someone here will run of ten names.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3257544)   #70
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
Yes it was not just Mark who started ST, but he was the main driver behind it. The money? I think if you added up the hours Mark put in he may have made more money working at McD's with you guys.
I can't think of anyone in motorsport in this country that could have pulled off what Mark has. But I'm sure someone here will run of ten names.
I think if you added up the money that 3 people invested, mark may of been the lead invester but it would not of happened without the support of 2 otheirs.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3257670)   #71
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Not being able to walk right around the whole track, either inside or outside.
I find that irritating in Australia and NZ that pretty much it's impossible to walk around the track during a race and if the track is set up that way they let people rope off their little space.

It all goes back to my point in the past that these track owners and clubs just see it from the motor racing side and not the customer service side and providing a good experience for all.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3257754)   #72
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
I think if you added up the money that 3 people invested, mark may of been the lead invester but it would not of happened without the support of 2 otheirs.
Blackpearl,

Three people to be exact, Wayne 'Jacko' Anderson, Garry Pedersen, and Christopher Abbott [Barrister]

Mark.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3257809)   #73
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I find that irritating in Australia and NZ that pretty much it's impossible to walk around the track during a race and if the track is set up that way they let people rope off their little space.

It all goes back to my point in the past that these track owners and clubs just see it from the motor racing side and not the customer service side and providing a good experience for all.
Couldn't agree more. I'll never go to a Monaco Historics meeting again for that very reason. Monaco is fantastic on the television, diabolical for a paid spectator.

It is nothing to do with the clubs and is totally down to the track owners.

At Pukekohe, a few years ago, you could spectate from the outside of the hairpin and the inside of turn 1. As far as I am aware at neither point was any spectator ever in any danger. Both were safe places and pretty good for taking photographs, but it is no longer allowed. Why?
Old 4 Jun 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3257814)   #74
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
At Pukekohe, a few years ago, you could spectate from the outside of the hairpin and the inside of turn 1. As far as I am aware at neither point was any spectator ever in any danger. Both were safe places and pretty good for taking photographs, but it is no longer allowed. Why?
Not strictly correct - you can still spectate at the outside of the hairpin. Although that's only because of the bridge they built there for the V8SC event. In the past to get there you had to cross private land - supposedly.

After walking around the Pukekohe track over the ST weekend, I don't think the audience really misses all that much. The only decent fenced-off spot for viewing would be at Castrol.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3257930)   #75
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
what ?? getting peeved at consistanly missing round points and championships due to technical "competitiveness", then thus using a model created whilst involved in that series, to create a new series ,thus driving a jolly great wedge between the teams/drivers/paying public, and then abandoning ship when it's the product falls short of expectations .

no, sorry, can't think of ten others that would do such a thing....................so i guess you are correct ??