Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2004, 10:31 (Ref:868029)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

(2)Bring back the slicks.
>> Bring back slicks to improve racing...BUT didn't many engineers/designers/drivers reckon that the current grooved tyres had already surpassed the grip levels of the slicks?

(3)Wide cars.
>> Pardon me, but for narrow tracks, doesn't wider cars actually pose as a greater obstacle?

(5)Banning pitstops.
>> But why? In the end, what we'd see is the faster cars qualify ahead, and run off with the race. At least with pitstops, some less powerful cars on lighter fuel actually can fight for position wit faster cars on heavy fuel load... and it does open up another area of uncertainty.
If they made the cars wider they would cause more drag = more slipstreaming.

I think you have missed the point about banning pitstops, id rather ban re-fueling, as we could then see people trying to do the whole race on a set of hard tyres, where some people might try and complete the race using a soft compound but stopping once or twice.

If they returned to the 1993 regs I would be happy.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 10:34 (Ref:868034)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
If they returned to the 1993 regs I would be happy.
There's more overtaking now than in 19-93.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 12:49 (Ref:868168)   #28
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what were the 1993 regs anyway.... too long ago to remember
Old 9 Feb 2004, 13:06 (Ref:868188)   #29
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Interesting views..I'll add mine:

1. Aero - I suggest that the regulations allow for a "single" front and rear wing and nothing else. That means no other little bits poking out or attached anywhere on the car that is'nt a permanent part of the body. That would mean a) better looking cars b) maybe some radically different shapes as they would have to experiment with the bodies. They've been getting away with (more and more) drag reducing bits especially over the back wheels. They should be made to increase mechanical grip if they can.

2. The plank has to stay. If you bottom out, you end up like Senna.

3. Tyres - do what you like...competition is good and control tyres don't work. In fact make it free for all, then some might have wider, some might have grooves...more differences.

4. Engines - again, do what you like "up to" 3.0L or 2.5L or whatever, except no turbos again. Maybe allow superchargers with a "formula". I'm not convinced that the one engine rule wont favour the better budgets even though its supposed to do the opposite. To my way of thinking, it takes MORE money to develop a more bulletproof donk.

5. Shorten the cars slightly. They are too long compared to days gone. Leave the width the same.

6. Pitstops - leave it free-for-all but make them have larger fuel tanks. That way, they get more strategy choices (maybe run the gauntlet with hard tyres).

7. Tracks - some tracks need to get rid of ridiculous chicanes that serve no purpose at all. Make them larger "Z" shapes so that you can actually carry a passing move through. Otherwise, get rid of them completely and let some drafting happen on the straights.

Last year was the best year for F1 since the late 70s, early 80s for actual racing but there are still too many processions and reliance on pit strategy. I agree with another post that the drivers are partly to blame but I believe that the above would go a long way to helping.

But remember that F1 is the pinnacle...don't stifle innovation. MORE differences under a lower threshold is way better than LESS difference under a higher threshold - if you get my drift.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 22:38 (Ref:873646)   #30
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would generally agree with deeks, except for #6: I'd get rid of fuel stops completely. And I'd get rid of all the gadgets like TC, but we've been here before!
Old 13 Feb 2004, 23:21 (Ref:873676)   #31
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No...TC is here to stay, it's an improvement, it allows the driver to induce just enough slip angle to counteract understeer (the dreaded push)...too much right foot...costs time (and sounds awful) but done right it allows a 'good driver' to get closer to perfection than without it. In real terms it's worth 7 tenths of a second on the average lap time...this is what F1 is all about!

The FIA can't police it...so they can't remove it, remember?

Last edited by Rennen; 13 Feb 2004 at 23:22.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 12:06 (Ref:874074)   #32
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I think those things just in front of the rear wheels are so ugly and should be banned.. as should barge boards
and the front wings shuld not have more downforce components past the endplate... it just looks stupid that way
Old 14 Feb 2004, 15:53 (Ref:874186)   #33
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
One wish...

Remove the wooden plank.
Bring back titanium skid plates.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 12:34 (Ref:874754)   #34
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about make drivers RUN one lap before jumping into their cars and drive off for the race...? potentially allowing a fit Jaguar driver to outrun a not-as-fit Williams driver and start the race in front...

Last edited by Gt_R; 15 Feb 2004 at 12:35.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 15:18 (Ref:874878)   #35
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Views:
Drop available torque (and power): reduce engine capacity
Allow aero to stay however. Maintain current track, reduce wheel width marginally in exchange for slicks.
Result: Slight increase in mechanical grip, but suddenly aero drag is a bigger factor than previously, so any extra 'wing' for more aero grip is a bigger hit to lap times than usual. Also, slipstreaming becomes a higher priority.

Fund University research into alternative road materials / designs: The objective product being something that produces very much equal grip on and off the racing line. In this design/material work, also doing something about clean racing lines. Surely there's got to be something workable to help in this.

Investigate experimental track designs: split-section areas of a race track, like having a chicane at Monaco that is open so you can run straight through it but be penalised for it, but splits left and right. That way 2 cars can maintain a racing line through their corners, no blocking. Stuff like this.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 17:33 (Ref:874953)   #36
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not a big fan of TC. To me, part of the drivers skill is balancing power with available grip, instead of relying on the computers to work it ou,t and keep it all pointing forwards.

There is also a double whammy, in that TC is fine when it works, but if the computer packs in, you're off the road without warning as the car breaks away. Didn't Alonso suffer this fault at (IIRC!)powering out of the chicane at Monza last year?

I know the FIA say they cannot 'Police it' but this is a typical FIA cop out at the first sign of resistance, I find it hard to believe that they cannot find someone who can.

IMO we need to give the cars back to the driver more, which means more mechanical grip. I would also suggest a 'standard' profile for front and rear wings, which all cars have to use.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 20:27 (Ref:875040)   #37
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you chaps dont mind a marshal joining in. I would love to see Three things

1. More mechanical grip thus reducing drivers fear of getting to close. (Watch a thoroughbred grand prix race and you will see what I meen)
2. Stronger cars thus removing the fear of getting wheel to wheel. (see formula ford)
3. The return of titanium skid plates like (the Monster said). (It all adds to the spectacle)
I also like the Idea of two lines through the same corner like Golem said and Bernie should use his powers and turn the rain on more often.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 23:43 (Ref:875192)   #38
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I was thinking. why not slick tires that are half the current width of f1 tires. And ban ALLL Electronics.
This includes power steering, radios, TC.. Imagine what f1 would be like if no computers were allowed.
The the steering wheels should only be for steering.. manual gear changes.. analogue rev dials !! oooo if only!

i agree for development reasons that this will never happen. but how much cheaper would f1 be for teams if there were no electronics... purely mechanical engines, and gearbox.. none of this hydrualics and computer failure..
and narrow tires..

it would be the best racing ever.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 00:04 (Ref:875214)   #39
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

(6) Turbo
>> ??? For?

In conjunction with banning pit-stop refuelling, it introduces boost management.

For me, this is summed up with the Mansell/Piquet situation at Silverstone 1987.

Now that was class stuff.