Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Mar 2016, 07:44 (Ref:3620451)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race Control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
A clean out at race control is needed. Schenken and Bargs just dont seem as competent as a series like Supercars deserves.
Discuss....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Mar 2016, 08:08 (Ref:3620461)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Hmmm - was the issue race control today or was it the rules or was it the stewards?

The criticisms that COULD be made of race control (based on the TV commentary) were (as best I can remember):
1. How the race was started - there were a couple of teams questioning it but the stewards confirmed it had started and the timing info was correct. On that basis, it seems to me that the TV Commentators & those couple of teams either didn't hear the race start procedure confirmed or there wasn't a message put over the team email system or timing - it could be that race control did the start 100% correct but there was a communication issue. I suspect we'll never know the answer to that one.
2. SVG and JCO contact - seems to me that they redressed and stayed in the same order (although CL did get through) which I believe is considered a remedy in its own right.
3. Maybe being a bit slow putting out the SC during the race - it's always a judgement call and there's often a lot of conflicting info coming into race control so I don't know if they can be hammered for that one.

I think that's about it but if anyone has any others put 'em up.

The time certain finish is not a race control call, it's a rule, same as the 140 litre requirement. Personally I don't agree with either but the blame for them lies elsewhere, not with race control.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3620464)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
maybe the commentators need to learn the rules and the laughing buffoon can stop harping on about things he doesnt understand.

remember also there were tech issues in the control room due to weather

might also help if posters learnt the rules themselves or at least knew how to access them.

all incidents are reviewed post race. so lets wait and see on some of them

inside supercars will be good this week
Old 6 Mar 2016, 08:37 (Ref:3620470)   #4
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't think race control is as bad as made out on this occasion.

1) Race Start - I don't think there was any doubt the race had started - under safety car, and with laps being ticked off. That scenario was 888 trying to bend the rules to their situation. Correct call to refer the issue to race control, and correct call to say the race was under way.

2) Fuel Fill issue. Is there still a need for this rule? Originally introduced as a means of equalizing fuel consumption between the OHV Ford/GM engines and the DOHC Nissan/AMG engines, before Volvo entered the game. Is fuel consumption of the different engine types still monitored, and are the DOHC engines still thirstier, or have they improved? In itself this is not Race Control, this is V8SC rules and whether they are reviewed or not.

Any time a new rule is brought in, there always stands the chance of an unforeseen or previously not experienced situation resulting in question marks like today. If the 30 second penalty was in the rules, then the situation had been allowed for by the rule makers, but not many knew about it or took their time to find it. If Race Control knew they were going to apply this rule once the race was time certain and not 78 laps, it would have been nice if they could have advised the commentary team, and perhaps team managers.

3) Time certain finishes. Sometimes you see the reasoning, sometimes you don't. In this case, I didn't, and whose call was that? V8SC, Race Control, ch10, Foxtel? Channel 10 broadcast finished half an hour earlier than indicated, and did not even flow into a news. The race had recommenced, and if it had been allowed to finish, or at least run 30 minutes longer it would have potentially removed fuel fill as an issue, and kept a lot of viewers (and attendees?) happier.

4) Race incidents - really, if SVG got no penalty, I would like to see that explained with reference to today's other turnarounds. I guess that will come post race. With reference to SVG redressing - he didn't really. JC simply got away better after SVG turned left. If this is called a racing incident, OK - but if SVG is found at fault, I would have thought a penalty of some sort is called for. I hope consistency is applied ...

I thought the race had a lot more interest than most between the SC coming in after lap 6 and the race suspension. The time certain finish totally killed it for me, and I think V8SC need to rethink how they allow for this. I know TV pays the money, but today TV robbed the race of an interesting last 30 or so laps.

Last edited by RedZedMikey; 6 Mar 2016 at 08:43.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3620476)   #5
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
maybe the commentators need to learn the rules and the laughing buffoon can stop harping on about things he doesnt understand.
Agreed. But who chooses the commentators? Either way I'd consider them only average at the moment and can both (although Skaife more so) affect the show. Both seem to enjoy the sound of their own voice and waffling about some infinitesimal technical detail ad nauseum.

Quote:
might also help if posters learnt the rules themselves or at least knew how to access them.
Big problem for supercars then. I'd say the biggest percentage of Supercars crowd are "casual" fans. If posters on here and indeed even former racers/commentators can't seem to make sense of what's going on/who should be penalized/when the safety car should be out etc. how in god's name is joe bloggs at home meant to follow any of it?

Quote:
all incidents are reviewed post race. so lets wait and see on some of them
**** weak in my opinion. Do it during the race so the order you finish is the real outcome. As above, the all important casual fans do not want this docked 50 points on Sunday night nonsense
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:22 (Ref:3620480)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I feel like they're not acting in the best interests of the fans most of the time.

The fans want to see a race, not a bunch of cars trundling around behind the SC, or parked up in pit lane. That the catagory refuses to utilise a full wet tyre for this sort of weather, is appalling. It is not NASCAR. It may not have had much of an affect on the final outcome, but would have certainly made the pill a little easier to swallow. If it is declared a wet race, and I do believe this is part of the procedure, do away with compulsary pit stops. Just let the teams manage their strategy themselves, so they can get their cars to the finish.

When you try to control so much of the racing, you can't account for the variables, which leads to the mess we saw today. I for one, am disappointed.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3620485)   #7
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
If it is declared a wet race, and I do believe this is part of the procedure, do away with compulsary pit stops. Just let the teams manage their strategy themselves, so they can get their cars to the finish.
This!

Mother Nature will always outplay a rule book.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3620486)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I feel like they're not acting in the best interests of the fans most of the time.

The fans want to see a race, not a bunch of cars trundling around behind the SC, or parked up in pit lane. That the catagory refuses to utilise a full wet tyre for this sort of weather, is appalling. It is not NASCAR. It may not have had much of an affect on the final outcome, but would have certainly made the pill a little easier to swallow. If it is declared a wet race, and I do believe this is part of the procedure, do away with compulsary pit stops. Just let the teams manage their strategy themselves, so they can get their cars to the finish.

When you try to control so much of the racing, you can't account for the variables, which leads to the mess we saw today. I for one, am disappointed.
but thats not a race control issue, thats v8 suppercars issue.

What was the mess you saw today? we started under safety car, nothing wrong with that, we reached a time certain finish, has happened many times, including last year at clipsal? some teams made a poor strategic call, has happened thousand of times.
Someone, i assume it race control, let cars out out of pit lane a lap early, that was an error, might have been someone else in charge of pitlane exit lights
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3620488)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The whole thing became an over-complicated mess, because of the catagory's way of keeping things spiced-up.

KISS Principle, and such...
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3620490)   #10
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The answer is simple - there are too many rules.

Compulsory stops, fuel drops, working or not working in a car under a red flag, exceeding track limits in some places is ok but not in others. There was even confusion as to when the race starts. Just unbelievable.

What on earth would the casual TV viewer who makes up the bulk of the viewing audience make of all of this?

Schenken and co should do themselves a favour and review each rule and decide whether it adds to the sport.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:44 (Ref:3620493)   #11
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try spending a few hours up in race control (at any race meeting), just to see how busy things can get. They make the correct calls at the time, based on the available information for the safety of all involved, and clearing any incidents as quickly as possible. As for the driving standards and incident reviews they are stewards call.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:46 (Ref:3620494)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
The whole thing became an over-complicated mess, because of the catagory's way of keeping things spiced-up.

KISS Principle, and such...
oh yes, you must put 140 litres of fuel into your car is over complicated. everyone knew the rule was talked about constantly. very simple. everyone who is complaining about it wants to complicate it. even you did, you wanted to bring in some wet race complication rule

or, the race will finish after 78 laps or at 5.20 whichever comes first, thats very complicated
Old 6 Mar 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3620500)   #13
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
oh yes, you must put 140 litres of fuel into your car is over complicated.
Correct peckstar.

There should be NO rule for litres of fuel required. If Nissa...sorry some teams aren't as efficient as others too bad.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3620501)   #14
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chavez. You have it in one.

For lots of reasons the rules governing the races have become far too complicated. That is not a Race Control issue during a race but the categories rule makers. That is the body who needs to take a look at what they have created. Rules should be simple, easy to police and add to the spectacle. This ncludes the driving standard rules as they are becoming very subjective and should not be. Cause an accident be prepared to be penalised.

Perhaps then the commentators could understand them and provide accurate unbiased information to viewers, at the moment they are failing badly. Today really highlighted their lack of preparation.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3620503)   #15
AnEmmoFan
Rookie

AnEmmoFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging by Peckstar's strident defence of all things V8 Supercar, one would assume that he is James Warburton!!! Is it you, James?
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3620505)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Correct peckstar.

There should be NO rule for litres of fuel required. If Nissa...sorry some teams aren't as efficient as others too bad.
why? how does that create parity? this is a parity series? other methods were tried, this one works the best, taken 4 years to have a small issue and even then its a non issue becuse it wasnt changed, just the typical v8 baggers having a go
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:12 (Ref:3620506)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmmoFan View Post
Judging by Peckstar's strident defence of all things V8 Supercar, one would assume that he is James Warburton!!! Is it you, James?
sure is.

but seriusly because i want the rules applied consistantly and understand why we have the rules does not make me James Warburton, just makes me informed and not prrepared to buckle to the heard mentality

maybe im happy that the team that runs on the smell of an oily rag stuck one up the multi million dollar triple 8 today and others here are not happy
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3620508)   #18
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what the teams complaining at the start of the race were arguing about was the poorly written rules:
Quote:
9.4.6 The SC will withdraw in the prescribed manner when directed by the RD.
9.4.7 The race will be considered started when the leading Car crosses the Control Line at the end of that lap.
9.4.7.1 Cars starting from Pit Lane exit will be considered to have come under starter’s orders if they are at or approaching pit exit when the lead Car crosses
the Control Line to start the race.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3620510)   #19
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
maybe im happy that the team that runs on the smell of an oily rag stuck one up the multi million dollar triple 8 today and others here are not happy

Mate, the guys at the back usually fuel up early. The big boys up front aren't going to sacrifice track position for fuel but if you're percat plodding around god knows where you try a different strategy. It wasn't exactly some masterstroke of Brad Jonesesque strategy genius.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3620512)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Mate, the guys at the back usually fuel up early. The big boys up front aren't going to sacrifice track position for fuel but if you're percat plodding around god knows where you try a different strategy. It wasn't exactly some masterstroke of Brad Jonesesque strategy genius.
you mean hrt and pra who finished 3rd and 4th.

no i think you are forgiving triple 8 stuff up too easily or making excuses for it

and your right wasnt a masterstroke, just a normal strategy to fill up at the right time under a safety car at the right moment. standard procedure, so why didnt triple 8 do it?
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:29 (Ref:3620513)   #21
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
All I can say is why was the race not suspended sooner, was a no brainer.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3620514)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
I think what the teams complaining at the start of the race were arguing about was the poorly written rules:
9.4.7.1 was the one that dutto was referring too, it was nothing to do with the start of the race it was to do with the release of the cars in the pits, as has mentioned they were released a lap too early on warm up lap instead of after the race start, a stuff up, possibly by race control, maybe by an official in pit lane.

unfortunately skaife wasnt working that out very well, should have shut up.

Didnt really affect the race as the would still have joined under safety car in this case and caught up, but might be a problem next time, it will happen
Old 6 Mar 2016, 11:02 (Ref:3620520)   #23
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The RD has the spectacle for the fans at heart. The fans don't want cars spread out all over the place, so he's looking for any opportunity to re-bunch the field if the race needs spicing up. (Which in the past it has.)
Old 6 Mar 2016, 11:05 (Ref:3620521)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Heres something a bit dodgy, penalty is now 60 seconds not 30 seconds for fabian and pye. put them back 2 further spots, still thats really bad
Old 6 Mar 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3620530)   #25
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
9.4.6 The SC will withdraw in the prescribed manner when directed by the RD.
9.4.7 The race will be considered started when the leading Car crosses the Control Line at the end of that lap.
9.4.7.1 Cars starting from Pit Lane exit will be considered to have come under starter’s orders if they are at or approaching pit exit when the lead Car crosses
the Control Line to start the race
reading rule 9.4.6 and 9.4.7 together,
does it state that the race starts at the end of the lap after the safety car pulls in? being THAT lap
As that would have been quite a few laps into the race in that case?