Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Apr 2017, 04:18 (Ref:3729583)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Don't you mean one foot in grave...?????
Thats what he said, one step closer to GT3 is closer to a foot in the grave

you're on board now though aren't you?
Old 28 Apr 2017, 04:24 (Ref:3729585)   #27
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Thats what he said, one step closer to GT3 is closer to a foot in the grave

you're on board now though aren't you?
As a GT3 fan peckstar as you have told us before - what do you mean by this post?
Old 28 Apr 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3729586)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
As a GT3 fan peckstar as you have told us before - what do you mean by this post?
Im think im saying that going down a GT3 path for Supercars will, in my opinion, be the death of main stream Motorsport in this country

Merely a niche player if that happens

That does not mean i am not a fan of Gt3, it just means I am a realist and acknowledge Gt3's place in the sporting landscape

But that's not the topic of this thread, so lets move in
Old 28 Apr 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3729634)   #29
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question for me is, how many v8 supercar fans are fans solely for the current formula and would completely stop watching aussie Motorsport in the event that it did become a "gt3" formula.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Apr 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3729635)   #30
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fanbase evolves too.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3729642)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The question for me is, how many v8 supercar fans are fans solely for the current formula and would completely stop watching aussie Motorsport in the event that it did become a "gt3" formula.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It wont become a Gt3 formula, before that mainstream motorsport will be dead.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3729643)   #32
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
before that mainstream motorsport will be dead.
Has motorsport outside a 1000km race at Bathurst ever been mainstream?
Old 28 Apr 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3729646)   #33
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Supercars potentially reestablishing itself as a GT3 format will necessarily equate to the demise of mainstream Motorsport peckstar, the Bathurst 12 hour drew some pretty good ratings and I think if they want to consider longevity of the series they should definatly consider it as a possibility as the gen Y casual Motorsport fans seem to display more interest in exotic cars, but that's only my opinion and experience, there is still a large diehard group of young supporters in Supercars but regardless I'll still watch it no matter what happens to the cars. I don't think in my own opinion that paddle shift is any where near close to entering the category currently it's only being touted as a possibility but I don't see it materialising

Last edited by PS2244; 28 Apr 2017 at 12:50.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3729672)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Has motorsport outside a 1000km race at Bathurst ever been mainstream?
Yes 90000 people at clipsal on sunday is even bigger than Bathurst

Last edited by peckstar; 28 Apr 2017 at 14:48.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3729674)   #35
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
I don't think Supercars potentially reestablishing itself as a GT3 format will necessarily equate to the demise of mainstream Motorsport peckstar, the Bathurst 12 hour drew some pretty good ratings and I think if they want to consider longevity of the series they should definatly consider it as a possibility as the gen Y casual Motorsport fans seem to display more interest in exotic cars, but that's only my opinion and experience, there is still a large diehard group of young supporters in Supercars but regardless I'll still watch it no matter what happens to the cars. I don't think in my own opinion that paddle shift is any where near close to entering the category currently it's only being touted as a possibility but I don't see it materialising
Did it? The evidence doesnt really support that About a fifth of the 1000. And the rest of the series, because thats the important part, the rest of the series, the week to week races.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3729695)   #36
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
GT3 vehicles are hardly suitable for the bump and rub of touring car racing. The slightest touch and carbon fibre dive-planes and diffusers go flying everywhere.

BTCC would be a far better model. Particularly the RWD-spec BTCC just with bigger engines, which is what we already have more or less (just that we don't attach the double-wishbone racing suspension subframes to the road car chassis).
Old 28 Apr 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3729699)   #37
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'm okay with this from a safety standpoint.

I would lose interest fast if the series became just another national GT3 series.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3729729)   #38
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vehemently against this. With DBW throttle we're one step closer to traction control.

Let the drivers continue the heel-toe. There's skill required for that, and zero skill required to flick a paddle.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3729732)   #39
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
further and further away from 'real' cars, less and less relevant they become
Old 28 Apr 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3729755)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The VW Golf R32 I bought in 2008 had flappy paddle.... is was a real car... and that is 9 years ago..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Apr 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3729765)   #41
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Did it? The evidence doesnt really support that About a fifth of the 1000. And the rest of the series, because thats the important part, the rest of the series, the week to week races.
I know what you mean and agree with you pecky, but to be fair it's only a new concept and still in its infancy in Australia all I'm saying is is that there is an interest in the GT3 formula in Australia I'm not trying to state it's on par with the 1000 yet. Imo Supercars should look into a TCR or SuperGT formula if Gen2 hypothetically fails to meet its objectives
Old 28 Apr 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3729766)   #42
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
New commodore has a paddleshift option, new mustang does as well not really Trevor
Old 28 Apr 2017, 23:48 (Ref:3729773)   #43
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Vehemently against this. With DBW throttle we're one step closer to traction control.

Let the drivers continue the heel-toe. There's skill required for that, and zero skill required to flick a paddle.
To be fair, utilising TC with a cable throttle system is just as easily done with yaw and wheel speed sensors so I don't think fbw would mean much in that regard. Besides, you can utilise paddle shifting without fbw, though teams will inevitably change to fbw for other reasons.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3729793)   #44
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turn-of-the-century (16.5 years ago!) Commodores had a conventional throttle body with traction control. And that technology was already out of date, considering many other manufacturers had been there, done that, and moved on to DBW.

It's got me beat, why we have such an aversion to progression in this country.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 01:43 (Ref:3729796)   #45
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The VW Golf R32 I bought in 2008 had flappy paddle.... is was a real car... and that is 9 years ago..
Direct injection, DBW, whizz-bang Haldex all-wheel-drive system, self-shifting manual gearbox aka DSG, V6 with ONE cylinder head! If you ticked the right boxes on the options sheet, you could also get integrated nav, and Bluetooth too.

It was the sort of car that blew peoples' minds way back when, and now most of that tech is the norm on most new cars these days.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 02:42 (Ref:3729805)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Direct injection, DBW, whizz-bang Haldex all-wheel-drive system, self-shifting manual gearbox aka DSG, V6 with ONE cylinder head! If you ticked the right boxes on the options sheet, you could also get integrated nav, and Bluetooth too.

It was the sort of car that blew peoples' minds way back when, and now most of that tech is the norm on most new cars these days.
And no reason for any of it not to be on the premier category in the country!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Apr 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3729815)   #47
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Touring had all this whiz-bang technology, sequential gearboxes and up-to-date relevancy, yet no-one was interested and the fans preferred to watch V8Supercars with their old technology

Now apparently Supercars has to be "up-to-date", make up your minds.

Supercars big selling point, particularly during the Super Touring war and later the PROCAR disagreements, is that it reflected what the fans wanted. Technological advancement was not something that was high on the priority list, nor did the fans seem to care.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 03:08 (Ref:3729818)   #48
Umai Naa
Veteran

I was all for Super Touring, and it's technology, I might add.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3729877)   #49
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
As I stated, while I prefer the old old, OLD H-Patterns, I'm okay with the move to the current stick, and would be fine with the move to paddles as well. As stated before, it opens up the inside so if there's a need for an extrication it allows easier access from either side.

Anything that keeps the drivers safer I'm okay with.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3729878)   #50
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As I stated, while I prefer the old old, OLD H-Patterns, I'm okay with the move to the current stick, and would be fine with the move to paddles as well. As stated before, it opens up the inside so if there's a need for an extrication it allows easier access from either side.

Anything that keeps the drivers safer I'm okay with.
100% agreed there great response