Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3771124)   #101
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
question, what exactly constitutes a racing line when drivers are moving around looking to cool their engine/conserve engine life/pick up marbles?

Stroll also finished a lap down...SV must really have slowed on hs in lap for Stroll to catch up let alone be ahead of him.

add in an exhausting race...kind of feel like neither one of them was paying attention at the end.

It seems as though Stroll was on track inside of the gap between Max and Vettel (37 second window based on the finishing order). So he's a lap down to Max, but not Vettel although Vettel is close to lapping Stroll. Once Max takes the checkers in this case, this means Stroll takes the checkers as well, completing 1 less lap than max.

Then you can see how Vettel ends up catching up with Stroll on the cool down lap.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 23:26 (Ref:3771125)   #102
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Yes the fact that Stroll came on the Radio claiming vettel ran into the side of him shows just how clueless Stroll was out on the track at that moment. Wasn't paying any attention whatsover and didn't notice that he changed his line either.
I have to admit that I laughed at the sight of Sebastian’s car, what poor taste on my behalf I suppose.. I am going to see him at Austin ...
Old 2 Oct 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3771152)   #103
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone notice the crowd noise in the audio mix?

Nice work FOM TV.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 04:57 (Ref:3771170)   #104
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe Stroll didn't expect it in the middle of a corner?
Before turning right, do you look over your shoulder, as you should? Had he done this, nothing would have happened.

Normally, when you pick up rubber, you do it from the outset pf the turn. You do not drive into the turn like you were apexing and then think "oh, I need to pick up rubber" and just go to the outside. You are missing an essential amput of rubber that way. If anything, it was bad post racecraft.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 05:39 (Ref:3771172)   #105
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Fun race. Vettel with a superb drive, so of course he gets insta blamed for the post race incident that appears to be more strolls doing. I've always thought it was normal for cars to pass each other on the cool down lap. They often wave at each other. Hamilton at least came along side Bottas after giving back the position in hungary, as I remember bottas waving as a thanks to him. Was that dangerous or idiotic? I had no clue there was a rule against it. It definitely looked like stroll moved from the inside to the outside mid corner for some reason. Vettel probably not completely blameless, though as he was going a decent bit quicker. Maybe he was trying to get in the paddock to hit the head? Lol.

As for the whining from so many, I think this race illustrated just how institutionalized it is. Ocon had 2 incidents that he didn't say a word about. The team asked him about them, and he then said yeah, perez, and then (can't remember who it was the second time) both ran into him. The team said he needed to say something on the radio and report it. So basically, if the slightest thing happens, the team wants the driver to whine so race control hears it, and maybe they get an advantage or at least avoid penalty. They actually sounded annoyed, like they were scolding him for NOT whining. Can't really blame the drivers if that's the mindset.

Turned out to be a good race. Looked like Ferrari was collapsing, and sorta did, but for vettel proving he's not "overrated". Usually, mercedes finds the speed in time for qualifying and then carries that into the race, after giving others hope during practice. For some reason, they found the pace in qualifying, but didn't keep it for the race. Did I miss some update for red bull? Where did that come from? I see in this thread that Ferrari actually did have some updates. Were those the key to the added performance? I hope this parity continues.

Love seeing max win. Ricciardo needs to go to Ferrari or somewhere soon. He's a championship level driver, but verstappen is an all time great level driver.

Oh, McLaren. Two races since announcing the split with Honda, and immediately they start battling for the "best of the rest" honors. Torro rosso gonna be good next year....

I really want to pull for Magnussen but he makes it hard sometimes.

More races like this, please. The Mercedes runaways are played out. Hopefully this is sustainable for red bull and ferrari can stop sabotaging itself.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3771240)   #106
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
In the last stint, Vettel had superior speed over everyone else. Consistently between 1.0 - 2.0 seconds a lap quicker. And when he caught Ricciardo, couldn't even pass him despite being over 1.5 sec a lap quicker than Ricciardo! What a mug. Overrated and an absolute waste of the best car on the grid. Love to see what VES, RIC or ALO could do in a car like that.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3771241)   #107
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
In the last stint, Vettel had superior speed over everyone else. Consistently between 1.0 - 2.0 seconds a lap quicker. And when he caught Ricciardo, couldn't even pass him despite being over 1.5 sec a lap quicker than Ricciardo! What a mug. Overrated and an absolute waste of the best car on the grid. Love to see what VES, RIC or ALO could do in a car like that.
Really? I'm not the biggest Vettel fan but that's plain dumb.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3771242)   #108
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's a good summery of the situation, just not too sure why Vettel was immediately deemed to be the bad guy and I'm not a Vettel fan?
Perhaps because people are reacting to the immediate verbal explosion on the radio. It's never his fault, is it?

Having weighed up the only two camera angles that seem to be available, I would apportion it 1/3 to Stroll and 2/3 to Vettel. Stroll should have looked in his mirror, and looked again, before making such a move across the track. Vettel should have given much more room when overtaking, instead of trying to slice across his front wing.

In all my years of racing (now past) I was very conscious of the risk of hitting another car on warm-up and slow-down laps. People are doing much less predictable things than doing the race. You have to allow for it.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3771257)   #109
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

Having weighed up the only two camera angles that seem to be available, I would apportion it 1/3 to Stroll and 2/3 to Vettel. Stroll should have looked in his mirror, and looked again, before making such a move across the track. Vettel should have given much more room when overtaking, instead of trying to slice across his front wing.

In all my years of racing (now past) I was very conscious of the risk of hitting another car on warm-up and slow-down laps.

Also my (not so many) years of racing and flying.
From my earliest years, I remember my father teaching "always be aware of your surroundings" which held me in good stead during those years (and still).

Last edited by jimclark; 2 Oct 2017 at 13:19.

jimclark
Old 2 Oct 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3771259)   #110
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Like that time where ALO lost the championship being stuck behind Petrov, and couldn't pass? What a mug. Overrated and a waste of the best car on the grid. I'd love to see what ALO could've done in th....wait.

---

Anyway, why would anyone blame Vettel for the Stroll incident? Onboard Vettel, he doesn't change his line at all. Onboard the Haas, Stroll quite clearly changes his line and drives out wide, probably looking for marbles. Quite how that's Vettels fault, I don't know.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3771265)   #111
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In the second quarter of the race, Ricciardo had superior speed over Hamilton. Consistently between 0.5 - 1.5 seconds a lap quicker. And yet couldn't even pass him! What a mug. Overrated and an absolute waste of car.

(And claiming that Vettel was over 1.5 sec a lap quicker than Ricciardo is an exaggeration. The biggest delta was 1.4 sec on lap 41, with most of the laps being less than 1.0 sec)
Old 2 Oct 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3771266)   #112
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Like that time where ALO lost the championship being stuck behind Petrov, and couldn't pass? What a mug. Overrated and a waste of the best car on the grid. I'd love to see what ALO could've done in th....wait.

---

Anyway, why would anyone blame Vettel for the Stroll incident? Onboard Vettel, he doesn't change his line at all. Onboard the Haas, Stroll quite clearly changes his line and drives out wide, probably looking for marbles. Quite how that's Vettels fault, I don't know.
Very simple.
"Vettel should have given much more room when overtaking, instead of trying to slice across his front wing."

jimclark
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3771273)   #113
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Except that's not what happened. The Ferrari stayed on a constant line, whilst the Williams drove out wide. Vettel didn't slice, dice or chop (for a change).
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3771274)   #114
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Perhaps because people are reacting to the immediate verbal explosion on the radio. It's never his fault, is it?
Possibly but I think it's more to do with people just not liking Vettel.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:21 (Ref:3771277)   #115
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Everyone knows overtaking has been a long standing issue in F1 because of the turbulence from the car in front. It doesn't matter how quick you are on the track.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3771278)   #116
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The on board footage from Vettels car shows him moving towards the apex - i.e. towards Stroll.

Is the footage from Strolls car available anywhere?

It all seems a little unnecessary. People will point the finger at Vettel (ha - see what I did there) due to his ridiculous and aggressive reactions in the past to incidents that were obviously his own fault. His cries of innocence will therefore be taken with a pinch of salt now by some poeple. The boy who cried wolf springs to mind.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3771279)   #117
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It's like every race thread is the verstappen vs ricciardo thread.....
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3771282)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The on board footage from Vettels car shows him moving towards the apex - i.e. towards Stroll.

Is the footage from Strolls car available anywhere?

It all seems a little unnecessary. People will point the finger at Vettel (ha - see what I did there) due to his ridiculous and aggressive reactions in the past to incidents that were obviously his own fault. His cries of innocence will therefore be taken with a pinch of salt now by some poeple. The boy who cried wolf springs to mind.
I don't think there's any footage from Stroll's car, at least none that I could find but there is this from the car following Stroll, which I posted a couple of pages back.

https://youtu.be/fZ80ZLmhoFs
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3771284)   #119
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does it say something that the biggest talking point after the Malaysian GP is what happened after the Malaysian GP......
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3771286)   #120
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Does it say something that the biggest talking point after the Malaysian GP is what happened after the Malaysian GP......
I think it does Ayse.
The other surprise is that no-one has picked up on the suggestion made earlier in this thread that VET did it on purpose to stop his car going to post-race scrutineering (where they would have discovered that it was actually RAI's car...)
Old 2 Oct 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3771288)   #121
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And we just love a good conspiracy theory..........
Old 2 Oct 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3771292)   #122
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think it does Ayse.
The other surprise is that no-one has picked up on the suggestion made earlier in this thread that VET did it on purpose to stop his car going to post-race scrutineering (where they would have discovered that it was actually RAI's car...)
This would be quite juicy, but if your plan requires seeking out an opportunity to wreck on the cool down lap that looks like it's not your fault, it would take a lot of convincing to say this is possible.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3771293)   #123
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think it does Ayse.
Yeah, and the mafia killed JFK, and the Americans blew up the Twin Towers themselves, and I've been abducted by aliens. OK, it was finally proved that crashgate really happened (and that finished off Nelson Piquet Jnr's career) but this is stretching the idea much further.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3771295)   #124
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I think it does Ayse.
So Raikonnen was actually driving Vettel's car, which is why it was 'retired' before the race started.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3771296)   #125
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
So Raikonnen was actually driving Vettel's car, which is why it was 'retired' before the race started.
Can I quote you on that? If I do, you realise it will become indisputable fact......