Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Aug 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2934991)   #351
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Dont like the idea of Penske being interested ..... doesnt like spending his own money ..... like he doesnt have much !!!

Much prefer to see someone else get the deal , if it happens .
Old 2 Aug 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2935019)   #352
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
but atleast we know Penske gets the job done right?
Old 2 Aug 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2935025)   #353
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yes they do ..... done more than most . Wheres the competition in that , with the currant quality of "P" teams in the ALMS .

Walkover ..... would not be enticing for other potential teams either .
Old 2 Aug 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2935089)   #354
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It seems to me that at least two of the acura teams were able to compete with Penske last time they were in the ALMS,.... and that was with modified Courage chasis.

I would submit that the teams/drivers/car designers exist that could battle on terms with Porsche/Penske,... the question is: does the money exist?

doubtful at best
Old 2 Aug 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2935144)   #355
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Dont like the idea of Penske being interested ..... doesnt like spending his own money ..... like he doesnt have much !!!

Much prefer to see someone else get the deal , if it happens .

So what you are saying, is you would prefer a semi-pro team to lead Porsche's charge, instead of a pro team?
Old 2 Aug 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2935159)   #356
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato View Post
It seems to me that at least two of the acura teams were able to compete with Penske last time they were in the ALMS,.... and that was with modified Courage chasis.

I would submit that the teams/drivers/car designers exist that could battle on terms with Porsche/Penske,... the question is: does the money exist?

doubtful at best
Well only one team technically....Highcroft was the only one but they dont exist anymore...

sure de ferran and lowes fernandez and Andretti beat the porsche s a fewtimes but they where very sporadic....Fernandez had reliabilty woes at every track which was odd for the acura. Andretti was muscical chairs...and de ferran made a few mistakes in the season as well.

not many are more drilled than Penske's guys...
Old 2 Aug 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2935177)   #357
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer
Well only one team technically....Highcroft was the only one but they dont exist anymore...

sure de ferran and lowes fernandez and Andretti beat the porsche s a fewtimes but they where very sporadic....Fernandez had reliabilty woes at every track which was odd for the acura. Andretti was muscical chairs...and de ferran made a few mistakes in the season as well.

not many are more drilled than Penske's guys...
Do you remember that Porsche entry in the ALMS in the last race of 2005, and Acura entry in the first race of 2007. The maduration year`s of Acura have been in 2009, but both Audi and Porsche retired.
The Acura ARX 02A debut with a pole position in Sebring circuit that was totally unfavorable. This car was designed for circuits such as Mid Ohio, Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, Miller, Detroit, San Petersburg or Long Beach. I think that in this circuits the ARX 02A had beaten the Audi R15 TDI and Porsche RS Spyder.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2935316)   #358
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind Penske running at Le Mans so long as there was another German works team. Wouldn't seem like Porsche had properly returned if they were running under the banner of very-well known race team and had the stars and stripes on the side.

Perhaps Porsche could go for 4 cars - 2 from Penske and 2 more from a current semi-works GT team. Is there any good reason why this can't be Felbermahyyysdfaetukg or however you spell it?
Old 3 Aug 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2935398)   #359
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I wouldn't mind Penske running at Le Mans so long as there was another German works team. Wouldn't seem like Porsche had properly returned if they were running under the banner of very-well known race team and had the stars and stripes on the side.

Perhaps Porsche could go for 4 cars - 2 from Penske and 2 more from a current semi-works GT team. Is there any good reason why this can't be Felbermahyyysdfaetukg or however you spell it?
It's definitely an interesting idea. I'd love to see Felbermayr let loose in P1.
It's a pretty safe assumption that Felbermayr Jnr/Snr & Reid would want to continue running in GT. As that's being supported, I'm not sure Porsche would want to lose their strongest GTE-PRO outfit, either.

I don't know a great deal about the inner workings of the team, but supporting 2x GTE/2x LMP1 seems like a substantial step up from their current situation. Even with factory-support.
It's still a nice thought.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2980063)   #360
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really related with the LMP1 project but Porsche seems poised to promote their Hybrid technology:
The Porsche Hybrid will be doing some promotional tests at Estoril during this week with a local driver: http://www.lemansportugal.com/destaq...os-convidados/

Trying to encourage buyers I see, and to promote Hybrid technology.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2980079)   #361
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
So what you are saying, is you would prefer a semi-pro team to lead Porsche's charge, instead of a pro team?
No , I saying I would rather see another pro team run the programe for Porsche ..... Champion spring to mind for example .
Old 28 Dec 2011, 07:08 (Ref:3004716)   #362
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche Motorsport have expanded their 2012 driver program:

As part of the program Porsche provides a significant portion of the seasonal budget for the young pilot’s team. Along with the financial assistance comes a coach to assist in training both on and off the track. - Porsche Purist

“For us, supporting talented youngsters is an investment in the future. In line with our LMP1 project we want to expand our driver line up. After all, aside from our works commitment in prototype racing, we don’t want to neglect our GT racing activities and we also want to support our customer teams with works drivers in the future,” says Hartmut Kristen, Head of Porsche Motorsport.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 14:10 (Ref:3004814)   #363
The Badger
Veteran

I like Hartmut .
Old 28 Dec 2011, 14:30 (Ref:3004820)   #364
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am intrigued to find out what the driver line up will be for the LMP1 project. I of course, have my suspicions (like anyone else), but I look forward to seeing if they are confirmed.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 15:38 (Ref:3004844)   #365
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Porsche Motorsport have expanded their 2012 driver program:

As part of the program Porsche provides a significant portion of the seasonal budget for the young pilot’s team. Along with the financial assistance comes a coach to assist in training both on and off the track. - Porsche Purist

“For us, supporting talented youngsters is an investment in the future. In line with our LMP1 project we want to expand our driver line up. After all, aside from our works commitment in prototype racing, we don’t want to neglect our GT racing activities and we also want to support our customer teams with works drivers in the future,” says Hartmut Kristen, Head of Porsche Motorsport.
That's pretty decent news. Hopefully it provides an opportunity for some of the younger guys that would have faced difficulty gaining an otherwise locked down factory seat.
Considering they'll likely have three factory entries at LM, there's still a lot of recruiting to be done between the present - 2014.

I'm betting Ragginger's first to be bumped up to an official factory seat.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 15:41 (Ref:3004845)   #366
The Badger
Veteran

Im sure Lieb will be in the line up , happy days .
Old 28 Dec 2011, 16:16 (Ref:3004858)   #367
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Ok -So here are my forecast for a possible scenario:

Bernhard/Dumas A shoe in.
Lieb/ Lietz (I'm not sure how much single seater or LMP experience they currently have , so this may not be as clear cut as it seems. They will have to prove to be quick at the wheel of the LMP's

Long/ Bergmeister ( The same applies to Bergmeister as above. In addition he has the issue of "size")

These will be supported in longer races by Pillet, Ragginger and Henzler. These will have to fight with Holzer to see which is the quickest.

I heard the other day (I think it was Hindy) that when Porsche were developing the RS Spyder, they found that some of their quick GT drivers were as much as 5 seconds off the pace when driving a LMP car, due to their lack of single seater experience.

Thoughts?
Old 28 Dec 2011, 16:28 (Ref:3004866)   #368
The Badger
Veteran

Lieb was the development driver for the RS Spyder , so Im sure he knows well how to peddle one .

Bernhard-Dumas ..... I can see them in the picture , agree with Bregmeister about the height issue .

But , I cant see all their GT drivers going P1 . Some of them will have to stay with GT I expect , and they now need to hire young blood , get them trained up for when they need to support a P1 and GT effort , along with everything else .
Old 28 Dec 2011, 17:05 (Ref:3004879)   #369
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I thought the main test driver for the RS Spyder was Maassen.
I'm sure they all did some testing though.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 17:06 (Ref:3004880)   #370
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I'm sure they all did some testing though.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 17:44 (Ref:3004883)   #371
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
It was.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 18:17 (Ref:3004895)   #372
The Badger
Veteran

Lieb had a hand in it too .
Old 28 Dec 2011, 18:44 (Ref:3004905)   #373
ronnie peterson
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
ronnie peterson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bergmeister was quite fast with the DP @ Daytona last year. His height shouldn't be an issue considering that Wurz has been driving the 908.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 18:50 (Ref:3004908)   #374
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really don't think it's cut and dry that Porsche will plug their existing drivers into the LMP1.

I'd expect a fairly aggressive recruitment campaign and some big names in the mix. A crack at a World Championship representing Porsche is a big honour.

If Porsche did want to bring up their guys they would need to farm them out to other LMP teams to gain experience IMO starting now. Similar to what Pug arranged with Vernay. This season has shown the need for heightened racecraft when onboard these machines.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 19:26 (Ref:3004913)   #375
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie peterson View Post
Bergmeister was quite fast with the DP @ Daytona last year. His height shouldn't be an issue considering that Wurz has been driving the 908.
Bergmeister is considerably larger than Wurz. He is 194 cm, Wurz 186 cm and Lotterer 184 cm.

Moreover, ideally drivers are paired with similar height. That might be an issue for Bergmeister.