Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you think the driver of the Grand Prix is?
Lewis Hamilton 12 21.05%
Kimi Räikkönen 4 7.02%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Max Verstappen 1 1.75%
Nico Hulkenberg 3 5.26%
Sergio Pérez 0 0%
Esteban Ocon 1 1.75%
Stoffel Vandoorne 0 0%
Valtteri Bottas 13 22.81%
Romain Grosjean 0 0%
Jolyon Palmer 0 0%
Daniil Kvyat 0 0%
Carlos Sainz 0 0%
Felipe Massa 0 0%
Lance Stroll 0 0%
Kevin Magnussen 0 0%
Pascal Wehrlein 0 0%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Daniel Ricciardo 21 36.84%
Fernando Alonso 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Jul 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3752226)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A little harsh...
But oh so true.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3752228)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Generally all Bauble's posts about Hamilton are harsh, so you read them and move on.....

I am sure that I am not alone in my view. Crowd surfing, break dancing to the podium, silly sun glasses and totally over the top 'love' of the crowd.

I find it embarrassing and can not watch him, why does he not just become a pop star and have done with it. Vettel for all his outbursts is still a normal human being, and acts with dignity in his public persona.

Sorry to offend his fans but I am just too old to be able to stomach his clownish ways.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3752237)   #28
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Alonso said he was going to follow Ricciardo through the field - then Ricciardo screwed that up for him on lap 5.

So, clearly Alonso drove a better race so gets my vote.
That's my Honey Badger! Hahahaha
Old 17 Jul 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3752238)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I am sure that I am not alone in my view. Crowd surfing, break dancing to the podium, silly sun glasses and totally over the top 'love' of the crowd.

I find it embarrassing and can not watch him, why does he not just become a pop star and have done with it. Vettel for all his outbursts is still a normal human being, and acts with dignity in his public persona.

Sorry to offend his fans but I am just too old to be able to stomach his clownish ways.
I dare say you're not alone. In fact I know you're not.

But there are plenty of others who positively revel in the sheer delight that he shows when things are going well. Why a racing driver shouldn't be permitted to behave in this way is beyond me. If he wants to behave like 'a pop star' - who really cares and why do they care? It's his life. Why does that make him not a 'normal human being'? There are plenty who would say its these things that actually do make him a normal human being. He's not embarrassed to display his feelings. So why should we be so critical of him - that he isn't a dour straight-faced Brit who wouldn't know an emotion if it had the temerity to dally on his sleeve.... I really do think you're letting the years show a tad too much.....

By the way, I should perhaps admit that my wife and I laughed like drains when Vettel's tyre gave up the ghost. He generally has an effect upon me like the morning after a bloody good chicken Madras - but I don't go on about it.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 17 Jul 2017 at 20:12.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3752239)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Break dancing? You obviously are too old.....
Old 17 Jul 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3752261)   #31
bauble
Veteran

England
It's nice to share our feelings with friends .. don't you think?
Old 17 Jul 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3752266)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, always good to display a bit of emotion, we wouldn't all want to be robots, would we......?
Old 17 Jul 2017, 22:28 (Ref:3752277)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Generally all Bauble's posts about Hamilton are harsh, so you read them and move on.....
I would say they are a tad pithy but well entertaining.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 01:38 (Ref:3752296)   #34
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
harsh but spot on.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3752309)   #35
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Thought this was driver of the race, not who we think looks the best. Lewis can't win. If he didn't give back to his fans, you'd criticise him for that too
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:12 (Ref:3752310)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would say they are a tad pithy but well entertaining.
Can I politely suggest that you chaps consult your dictionaries and check out the meaning of 'sublime'?

There can be no higher praise for Hamilton's driving than that, the fact that I find his off track behaviour pathetic is very much a personal thing.

For me he demeans both himself and Formula 1, not a view shared by many here or in the wider world, so why not let poor old Bauble sit alone and nurse his biased and bigoted opinions?

Let's face it for those who do not agree with me, I feel only sorrow.

Ace you laughed when Vettel punctured!
That demonstrates your insecurity, as Seb is a serious threat to your hero driving unchallenged to another F1 World Championship title.

Someone dares to beat the 'Holy One'?

Call out the riot squad, arrest that man, spare nothing in your efforts to bring him to justice - Lewis must be allowed to serenely cruise to a fourth title ............

........ no matter how hollow the crown.

Oh! By the way I have come up with a new motto for Lewis;

'Win or Whinge'

Kindest possible regards to all those who do not take umbrage. (bring out the dictionary again)
Old 18 Jul 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3752319)   #37
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Can I politely suggest that you chaps consult your dictionaries and check out the meaning of 'sublime'?

There can be no higher praise for Hamilton's driving than that, the fact that I find his off track behaviour pathetic is very much a personal thing.

For me he demeans both himself and Formula 1, not a view shared by many here or in the wider world, so why not let poor old Bauble sit alone and nurse his biased and bigoted opinions?

That demonstrates your insecurity, as Seb is a serious threat to your hero driving unchallenged to another F1 World Championship title.

Call out the riot squad, arrest that man, spare nothing in your efforts to bring him to justice - Lewis must be allowed to serenely cruise to a fourth title ............

'Win or Whinge'
Sorry Baub, but I honestly think this applies more to your apparent hero VET
rather than HAM, but maybe that's because we're both allowing our personal biases to could our opinions?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3752328)   #38
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sorry Baub, but I honestly think this applies more to your apparent hero VET
rather than HAM, but maybe that's because we're both allowing our personal biases to could our opinions?
Viv, I tend to support Ferrarti rather than any individual driver, therefore Vettel fills the role at the moment as my choice for victory. I have no strong feelings about any other driver then Hamilton.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 07:42 (Ref:3752330)   #39
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I am a F1 fan, and a Lewis Hamilton fan (as well as a few other drivers on the grid). But.. while I am a Lewis Hamilton "fan", I could not give a flying **** what he does outside of the car!!

I'm a fan of his driving skills and raw talent, and what he does when he is in a F1 car - on a F1 track.

Nothing he does in his private life, who he is hangin' with, his hair, his sunglasses, or the clothes he wears, etc., matter to me. But I do understand that it does matter to some people. Normally, they are female. But I do also understand that these things matter to some sections of the male community. And that's ok, there's nothing wrong with being that way inclined. There's also nothing wrong a male publicly commenting on another males appearance. It's all normal these days.

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Jul 2017 at 18:30. Reason: Autocensor dodge. Rest of the post left, whatever it's on about!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3752331)   #40
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Break dancing?
When you're that old Mike, any sort of dancing is break dancing!

Old 18 Jul 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3752335)   #41
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
When you're that old Mike, any sort of dancing is break dancing!

The only time I dance is when the gents is full.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3752337)   #42
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
I am a F1 fan, and a Lewis Hamilton fan (as well as a few other drivers on the grid). But.. while I am a Lewis Hamilton "fan", I could not give a flying **** what he does outside of the car!!

I'm a fan of his driving skills and raw talent, and what he does when he is in a F1 car - on a F1 track.

Nothing he does in his private life, who he is hangin' with, his hair, his sunglasses, or the clothes he wears, etc., matter to me. But I do understand that it does matter to some people. Normally, they are female. But I do also understand that these things matter to some sections of the male community. And that's ok, there's nothing wrong with being that way inclined. There's also nothing wrong a male publicly commenting on another males appearance. It's all normal these days.
I can sympathise with your view, although for me part of the 'race' is the build up and immediate aftermath, what happens away from the circuit is of little interest.

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Jul 2017 at 17:59. Reason: Autocensor dodge in quote
Old 18 Jul 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3752351)   #43
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of any kind I just love racing. I was thinking to myself during the race, there are very few other sports where Brits choose such a wide range of nationalities as their favourite driver. Unfortunately Mansell in his time and Hamilton today can bring out the worst kind of nationalism.

I haven't been a "fan" since I was a kid, a true devotee of Ronnie P. Since then I've appreciated drivers of all teams and abilities.

Back on topic I think my driver of the race is Bottas. It was a good chase, and whilst those punctures delivered the result into his lap quite easily he had.to be in the right place to profit. It's easy to back pedal when faced with seemingly insurmountable odds, but he kept up the pressure.

Whilst I'd like to see a British World Champion I'd much prefer a hard-fought battle where he just misses out to a stroll in the park with it all done and dusted in Hungary.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 18 Jul 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3752360)   #44
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

So, would you prefer a grumpy pants like KR?

I'm not a fan of LH antics, I don;t revel in it, but I don;t find it out of order. As said above, he is his own person. If he wants to play around, let him. Not much different in attitude in many ways to James Hunt for example, although he was heavy drinking womaniser, so they exhibit in different ways.

If you don't like it, just watch his driving, which I hope you don't have an issue with, because it was clearly in a different league to the other drivers.

I'm in my 50's btw, being older doesn't necessarily mean you have to become intolerant.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3752366)   #45
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm with Bauble on this

Hamilton is an excellent driver - but out of the car 'Snoop Hammy Hamm' is just embarrassing. The main reason being it's all so contrived - none of it looks spontaneous - it all looks to be part of 'the act' (brand?). No soul.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3752369)   #46
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
The only time I dance is when the gents is full.
If a toilet full of men makes you dance, then by all means, go for it.

Whatever makes you happy I guess.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3752371)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

'Win or Whinge'

Kindest possible regards to all those who do not take umbrage. (bring out the dictionary again)
I understand what you mean by sublime and that can describe a few drivers I have watched over the years. I'm an F1 fan and have followed the sport for several decades. I don't have a favourite driver anymore, though I follow a number of drivers a lot more closely than I do others and Lewis Hamilton is one of those drivers.

I tend to agree about Lewis's off track behaviour and yes it is a personal thing. Win and whinge indeed, however there is the enthusiasm and it is great to see that but I find that it can spill over and become cringeworthy, as with last Sunday's race and I could do without that and I think F1 could do without it.

When Rosberg was with Mercedes, I actually thought it was worse. Not only were Hamilton and Rosberg battling it out on the track but it continued on the podium, trying to out do each other. At least that's stopped.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3752388)   #48
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'm with Bauble on this

Hamilton is an excellent driver - but out of the car 'Snoop Hammy Hamm' is just embarrassing. The main reason being it's all so contrived - none of it looks spontaneous - it all looks to be part of 'the act' (brand?). No soul.
Just so Bert, it seems rehearsed and just not coming across as sincere a lot of the time IM-'umble-O.

Reckon I'm with Bauble on this too
Old 18 Jul 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3752402)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Some can't win. People go on about how drivers don't interact with fans, yet Lewis gets criticism for doing exactly that on Sunday. Let him do it, I thought it was a nice thing to do
Old 18 Jul 2017, 15:16 (Ref:3752429)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
nurse away but respect that some of us may take offence to such biased and blank opinions even if they are just good natured jokes...thats just what normal human beings do.

but as for the first part of your quote...demeans both himself and Formula 1.

that got me thinking. BE is gone now and its been almost 20 years since the BE/Blair/Labour donation/tobacco scandal nearly broke the British GP for good. since then the matter of gov't sponsorship for this event has been a non starter in the UK.

but however genuine or self serving LH's post race celebrations were, with tens of thousands of Brits in attendance, many more on their TV's, mobiles, newspapers etc, and the countless worldwide just saw a display of British domination and all the revelry that goes along with it.

these people will go back to their homes, their constituencies, and i wonder given on the back of those images, did LH not just single handedly generate enough political capital/political cover for the gov't to step in to help the race financially?

winning the race is reason enough to vote someone DotR but i suspect the effects of the subsequent celebration, if used correctly, could be more important to the race and F1 in the long run.